San Diego
✟12,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I’ve seen plenty of atheist opinions on this, so I’m curious: what are some other perspectives on this because it can be used to back up ID but can also be used to back up materialism

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I’ve seen plenty of atheist opinions on this, so I’m curious: what are some other perspectives on this because it can be used to back up ID but can also be used to back up materialism
Welcome to CF. It makes sense to me that the brain has a reaction physically, whether positive from a beliver or negative from an unbeliever, when God is mentioned. We are made in His image. Blessings.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emmawowee
Upvote 0

Emmawowee

Sep 14, 2023
San Diego
✟12,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to CF. It makes sense to me that the brain has a reaction physically, whether positive from a beliver or negative from an unbeliever, when God is mentioned. We are made in His image. Blessings.
Blessings to you too.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
what are some other perspectives
"Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
(50) Now this I say.--This is the phrase with which the Apostle is wont to introduce some statement of profound significance. (See 1Corinthians 1:12; 1Corinthians 7:29.)

The statement so introduced here is that flesh and blood, being corruption,

cannot enter into the heavenly state, which is incorruption.

This is still part of the answer to the question, "With what bodies do they come?" but the reply is no longer based upon any analogy.

It comes now as a revelation of what he had been taught by the Spirit of God.

Flesh and blood are indeed corruption. Blood is everywhere the type of this lower animal life. Blood is the life of the flesh; and so, though Jews might eat the flesh, they might not eat the blood, which is the life thereof (Genesis 9:4).

All offerings which typified the offering up and sacrifice of "self"--the lower sinful self--were

sacrifices by shedding of blood, without which was no remission (Hebrews 9:22). When the supreme Sacrifice was made on Calvary the blood was shed--once for all.
So when Christ showed His resurrection body to His disciples
He did not say, "A spirit hath not flesh and blood, as ye see Me have;"

but "A spirit hath not 'flesh and bones,' as ye see Me have."

The blood of Christ is never spoken of as existing after His crucifixion.

That was the supreme sacrifice of Self to God. The blood--the type of the human self--was poured out for ever.

It is to be noticed also that the phrase "of His flesh and of His bones" .... was evidently in ordinary use, as it was interpolated in Ephesians 5:30.
The blood, as the type of our lower nature, is familiar in all popular phraseologies, as when we say, for example, that a "man's blood is up," meaning that his physical nature is asserting itself. One characteristic of the resurrection body, therefore, is that it shall be bloodless. . . ."

Reactions: Emmawowee
Upvote 0

O'Darbty

Sep 21, 2023
Dallas
✟9,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have to realize that neuroscience is based on a materialistic paradigm. It is axiomatic in neuroscience that there is no consciousness or soul apart from the brain. The sole question neuroscience asks is, "How do we explain this in terms of brain function?" There is no room - none, nada - for a neuroscientist to conclude "Hmmm ... we can't explain this in terms of brain function."

The fact that religious phenomena or thoughts may correspond to particular regions of the brain tells us nothing about the source. If a supernatural God exists, this is completely outside the scope of both the materialistic paradigm that is the very foundation of neuroscience and what neuroscientists are attempting to prove.

Upvote 0

Emmawowee

Sep 14, 2023
San Diego
✟12,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You have to realize that neuroscience is based on a materialistic paradigm. It is axiomatic in neuroscience that there is no consciousness or soul apart from the brain. The sole question neuroscience asks is, "How do we explain this in terms of brain function?" There is no room - none, nada - for a neuroscientist to conclude "Hmmm ... we can't explain this in terms of brain function."

The fact that religious phenomena or thoughts may correspond to particular regions of the brain tells us nothing about the source. If a supernatural God exists, this is completely outside the scope of both the materialistic paradigm that is the very foundation of neuroscience and what neuroscientists are attempting to prove.
I actually just found a pretty good blog on debunking the materialist paradigm on brains and giving alternate perspectives

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

To me, this looks like the writer is saying that a study tested brain activity while they had patients read a statement that "I believe God is with us."

When they read that, a certain area of the brain lit up . . . in the same area where the brain lights up for human interaction. So, therefore, the testers say that because the brain reacts the same to God as to social stuff, therefore they think this can mean "God", really, is a human thing.

But who did they test? It seems they tested "religious" people . . . not ones confirmed to experience being born of the Holy Spirit.

I experience being submissive to God in His love so kind and gentle and pure and more pleasant than the sorts of "love" I used to fall-in while I was stupid for any nice smiling Jesus lady I met. How would my present experience of God light the test? . . . in comparison with when I was infatuated and lusting??

Plus - - could they test my brain function of experiencing submitting to God in His peace? Surely this could affect how my physical brain would light up in their testing. But submitting to God is not the same activity as reading a statement saying God is with us.

So, I would say they have not tested how experience of God affects a brain. They only have tested what happens when humans read a statement of a belief. And were any of those readers born-again?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums