Chicago suburbs
Visit site
✟1,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
cajunhillbilly said:
If there had been more openness and dialogue at the time of the Reformers, who know what might have developed. :idea:
No kidding! Well, at least we can still continue to pray for reunification. -- I almost can't imagine how awesome it would be if all the Christian churches were one to the core.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance said:
Would someone be able to 'briefly' explain to me the basic beliefs of Reformed Christians? I have a friend who keeps asking me and I know some very basic stuff but I don't want to tell her wrong info.

Ex: what makes Reformed different from Calvinists? Is salvation possible for non-Christians? Do Reformists believe in predestination and/or TULIP? etc.
"Reformed" has multiple meanings. Many people to use it to refer to the Dutch-Reformed/Presbyterian and similar groups, who stick fairly closely to what Calvin taught. In particular:

1. The Nicene Creed:

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made.

Who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the living and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of life; who proceedeth from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.
2. TULIP -- which I won't explain here.

3. Emphasis on the Bible (but without the Apocrypha).

We confess that this Word of God was not sent, nor delivered by the will of man, but that holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost, as the apostle Peter saith. And that afterwards God, from a special care, which he has for us and our salvation, commanded his servants, the prophets and apostles, to commit his revealed word to writing; and he himself wrote with his own finger, the two tables of the law. Therefore we call such writings holy and divine Scriptures ...

We believe that those Holy Scriptures fully contain the will of God, and that whatsoever man ought to believe, unto salvation, is sufficiently taught therein ...

Neither do we consider of equal value any writing of men, however holy these men may have been, with those divine Scriptures, nor ought we to consider custom, or the great multitude, or antiquity, or succession of times and persons, or councils, decrees or statutes, as of equal value with the truth of God, for the truth is above all ...

Therefore, we reject with all our hearts, whatsoever doth not agree with this infallible rule, which the apostles have taught us, saying, Try the spirits whether they are of God ... (The Belgic Confession 3--7)
4. No "speaking in tongues"

5. Infant baptism:

We believe and confess that Jesus Christ ... having abolished circumcision, which was done with blood, hath instituted the sacrament of baptism, instead thereof; by which we are received into the Church of God ...

Therefore he has commanded all those, who are his, to be baptized with pure water, "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost": thereby signifying to us, that as water washeth away the filth of the body, when poured upon it, and is seen on the body of the baptized, when sprinkled upon him; so doth the blood of Christ, by the power of the Holy Ghost, internally sprinkle the soul, cleanse it from its sins, and regenerate us from children of wrath, unto children of God ...

Therefore the ministers, on their part, administer the sacrament, and that which is visible, but our Lord giveth that which is signified by the sacrament, namely, the gifts and invisible grace; washing, cleansing and purging our souls of all filth and unrighteousness; renewing our hearts, and filling them with all comfort ...

And indeed Christ shed his blood no less for the washing of the children of the faithful, than for adult persons; and therefore they ought to receive the sign and sacrament of that, which Christ hath done for them; as the Lord commanded in the law, that they should be made partakers of the sacrament of Christ's suffering and death, shortly after they were born, by offering for them a lamb, which was a sacrament of Jesus Christ. Moreover, what circumcision was to the Jews, that baptism is for our children. And for this reason Paul calls baptism the circumcision of Christ. (The Belgic Confession 34)
6. Spiritual view of the Lord's Supper:

We believe and confess, that our Savior Jesus Christ did ordain and institute the sacrament of the holy supper...

But for the support of the spiritual and heavenly life, which believers have, he hath sent a living bread, which descended from heaven, namely, Jesus Christ, who nourishes and strengthens the spiritual life of believers, when they eat him, that is to say, when they apply and receive him by faith in the spirit. Christ, that he might represent unto us this spiritual and heavenly bread, hath instituted an earthly and visible bread, as a sacrament of his body, and wine as a sacrament of his blood, to testify by them unto us, that, as certainly as we receive and hold this sacrament in our hands, and eat and drink the same with our mouths, by which our life is afterwards nourished, we also do as certainly receive by faith (which is the hand and mouth of our soul) the true body and blood of Christ our only Savior in our souls, for the support of our spiritual life ...

In the meantime we err not, when we say, that what is eaten and drunk by us is the proper and natural body, and the proper blood of Christ. But the manner of our partaking of the same, is not by the mouth, but by the spirit through faith ...

This feast is a spiritual table, at which Christ communicates himself with all his benefits to us, and gives us there to enjoy both himself, and the merits of his suffering and death, nourishing, strengthening and comforting our poor comfortless souls by the eating of his flesh, quickening and refreshing them by the drinking of his blood ... (The Belgic Confession 35)
Main differences with Catholics:
* no prayers to Mary & the saints
* no Pope
* Church doctrines not accepted without Biblical evidence
* no trans-substantiation -- but see the quote above
* Marriage, ordination, excommunication/reconciliation aren't called sacraments (but are otherwise similar in many ways)
* TULIP has small but significant differences with Bañezian/Thomist theology (see http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/tulip.htm) but totally horrifies Molinist Jesuits

-- Radagast

Upvote 0

gracefulmouse

Jan 30, 2004
Seattle, WA
✟258.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I feel really pulled to write something. I want to start off very, very clearly saying that this post is in the spirit of INQUIRY, NOT attack. :wave: I am bemused by some things I have witnessed and I need some advice- precisely because I believe cannot be universally characterisitic of the denomination I discuss. A pastor and some denomination members have told me that some of the issues I've witnessed have roots in theology- hence posting here. I am NOT out to stereotype or be hateful- I'm out to find advice precisely so I can be open-minded and more loving. Maybe some of you can give me some new, positive approaches to think about with regards to Calvinism/Reformed orientation.

My husband was raised Christan Reformed Church, as in Dutch Reformed. To be brief, my experience with the church has been that ethnicity and Calvinism are a huge focus- in comparison to other churches that might be more focused on broad tenets of Christianity. My husband has turned away from the Church (CRC and the whole body of Christ) and believes it is only a sociological institution which people use to re-affirm the legalisms that they are burdened with and judge others by. :cry: This pains me, and I believe that perhaps some posters here with knowledge or belonging in the CRC might be able to give me some direction in how to address this?

My in-laws and CRC friends of my husband have often reminded me implicitly and at times explicitly that I am not CRC by background and I don't have understanding of the "true Christianity" that they worship. That is their choice of words, which I include so posters can understand my quandry. For one example (of various)- I made the mistake one day of saying in a joyful positive manner that I believe we have a loving God, as evidenced by the fact that he sent his son to die for us. His mother immediately countered me that "that's fine for evangelism [said with distaste], but our God is foremost one who punishes sin". :sigh: How can I help or respond to this defensiveness in a way that would appeal to CRC orientations?

It's not just his family... all around him, I see young people who have been raised CRC and who are struggling with identity issues that they will even describe as rooted in the legalisms and inaccessibility of the perceived God they were raised around. Surely this is not the whole picture? :scratch:

My husband cites the doctrine of election as being something that must be true to any real Christian, since "the CRC is the purest form of Christianity", but that he feels (in an interesting double-bind of belief and un-belief) possibly explains why he doesn't believe. He "believes he isn't chosen to believe". Can you believe it? I can't!

This has left me struggling with Calvinism and the Christian Reformed Church. In fairness, the pastor who married us was excellent, but told me what I am witnessing is widespread in the church and that much time is needed for it to evolve. We went to the church for months before we were married- I was searching for Christ at the time and quite excited by the possibility. I signed up to help out with several things, and tried to start to integrate myself a bit into the church. People would interact with me, but only very functionally.

Please, I really beg someone to help me out here in trying to come to terms with understanding where this all comes from. I know that there must be another side to all of this. Can someone throw some light on this?????? I want to understand and try to grow to meet it the right way- not saying I'll agree, but maybe to give me more hope.

Upvote 0