Visit site
✟15,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These Blogs are a journey of process, to gain some context it may help you if you go back and read my previous thoughts. I love you all and thank you for visiting.

Redefining Sin

We need to place sin in its place, for too long have we misunderstood it and fallen into the same lie that has robbed us from the presence of God at creation point.

In the old Testament, we have the Law, or commands that we have used as guidelines to living in a way that is acceptable to God.

The ten commandments, we all know them. For reference, please see, Exodus 20:1:17

These laws are what I would call behavioural requirements, but as we know through the coming of Christ, God knew that we could not live up to the standard, so He sent His son. The only one who could, Jesus. This established a new spiritual law, one of freedom, not captivity.

Galatians 3:23-24
Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith.

We needed a new covenant and with a new agreement comes a new definition of sin. Look carefully at this; It is the key to joining with Christ in a transformational relationship. It will change your view from becoming Holy and righteous, to, you have been made Holy and righteous.

The Old revelation of behavioural sin has been made obsolete.

Hebrews 8:13
In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

So, this leaves us in no man's land when it comes to sin. Let's look at what we know through the person of Christ; we know that he died for the sins of the world, not just those who believe.

1 John 2:2
He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

And it is important to follow on with the why He did this.

1 John 2:3
And by this, we know that we have come to know him if we keep his commandments.

He became our sin for two reasons, firstly to know Him. This is powerful because he did this so we could know and see his nature towards our rebellion in a state while we were still His enemies. He was trying to correct our view of him. And secondly, He came to help us keep His commandments. Well that’s confusing, didn’t Jesus make those old things obsolete?

Let us take a look at how Sin as it is defined in the new covenant.

1 John 3:4
Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.

Making a practice of sinning is lawlessness, so although the old is obsolete there has been a new law established, so here is still a requirement to live up to. But if it is not behavioural then what it is? And why should we change? At this point I would like to make it clear that I am not condoning a lifestyle that does not replicate holiness, please read on I will explain myself.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

The new Law in Christ is Love. He takes us from, “you must do” to, “I have done, so you are” but this is only achieved in a relational context. Here’s the thing, we have made the appropriation of sin the salvation point, and I am afraid we may be wrong, the salvation point is and has always been relationship. We accept in faith that God is who He says he is. Shame is what stole this faith from us in the garden, and it is still what keeps us from His nature of today.

Romans 6:15-23
What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!

Let me say this; Grace is a licence for behavioural sin. But, due to the new covenant definition of sin (the law of love), we need to Love God; this transforms us, and our desires become His desires. God is not offended by our behavioural sin, but the fruit of knowing love transforms us from desiring sin to desiring love. We don’t change because we have to, we change because we have fallen in love. Similar to when you met that girl or that boy you are now married to, you wanted to become like them, and please them in every way. You didn’t have to it was just natural.

verse 16
Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?

If you don’t place sin in its correct context, you will be a slave to its definition; this will either make or break our connection with the father, hey don’t take my word for it. Spend some time soaking with Him; He loves to speak to you.

verse 17,
But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

We don’t become righteous, in relationship you are righteous.

verse 18 – 19
I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free regarding righteousness.

This is a statement that you should allow to wash over you today.

Verse 20-23
But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

In conclusion, we need to set ourselves free from our pre-determined ideas on sin and separation, the idea that a father would create something in us as a default that separates us from Him is ludicrous. Sin is no longer a behavioural issue; it is a relational one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart! This will transform you until then you have mercy and grace through faith.

For more information and blogs please visit

www.residenceministries.com

Adam Thurling

May 24, 2017
Melbourne
Visit site
✟15,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think simply put, sin is not defined as behaviour, but instead by where we stand. not to say we should allow perverse behaviour but we should be empowered to change through love instead of the need for acceptance! love is unconditional.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think simply put, sin is not defined as behaviour, but instead by where we stand. not to say we should allow perverse behaviour but we should be empowered to change through love instead of the need for acceptance! love is unconditional.

OK, thank you.

Are you a proponent of OSAS? I mean is that kind of what you're putting across?

Upvote 0

Adam Thurling

May 24, 2017
Melbourne
Visit site
✟15,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
owwww, no. I don't promote that at all what I would say is that if you have fallen in love with God your life will have the fruit of that, it goes from changing to be accepted, to changing because of acceptance. I don't condone a sinful lifestyle but I do condone healthy relationship which would look like growth in that relationship and keep that love by responding to the constant wooing of God.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
owwww, no. I don't promote that at all what I would say is that if you have fallen in love with God your life will have the fruit of that, it goes from changing to be accepted, to changing because of acceptance. I don't condone a sinful lifestyle but I do condone healthy relationship which would look like growth in that relationship and keep that love by responding to the constant wooing of God.

OK, good. there is enough of that around here where I can tend get suspicious, and jump the gun, hence the blunt questions to keep me out of trouble. :)

I agree with all you say...constant wooing and/or, as the song goes.."Always on my mind" are things that help tremendously.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In traditional Christian theology for an action (or inaction) to be a sin there are three requirements:
1. it is an evil
2. it is known to be an evil
3. it is done anyhow in the full knowledge that it is an evil

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adam Thurling

May 24, 2017
Melbourne
Visit site
✟15,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Traditional Christian theology has not properly understood the God we know! either He is love and love is unconditional or he is not? Tradition does not mean correct by any means, we have taught a bipolar Gospel pitting God against God, Jesus the God that saves us from our God... it is insanity, The Father and Jesus are one and the same, they behave the same, they love the same!

Hebrews 1:3

Upvote 0

AgapeAndrew

May 26, 2017
Lebanon
✟7,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I had to discipline myself to follow your snail trail and not jump to the ideas that I was getting while I read it. And your research project was beneficial for me. There is something very beautiful about relationship, it is present in Yahweh being jealous of the love of his people. It is present again in the Song of Solomon, of the love of newly weds is the love of Christ for the Church. The idea that a relationship with Jesus Christ, lights up all our darkness in our very focus of his love, is a truth.

But we are not done. Elohim said, "be fruitful and multiply" and very recently I have come to a meditation on eros as a point of reflection. Carl Jung sees eros as the point from which one contemplates logos. So if Solomon said get wisdom, and wisdom discerns the wife of your youth from the prostitute, it would appear that wisdom and eros have a lot to do with each other.

So I would suggest not ignoring eros in the conversation. Everyone who swims in Paul, even while there is a lot of complexity, does get tangled around in having an unhealthy view of gender, sexuality, race just because Paul himself had a "thorn in his flesh" and while he did have great faith, he displayed a very visible complex. Think of the Proverb "In vain is a net spread at the sight of any bird." While Yeshua turned him to a relationship, Nicodemus the most learned man did not know much about the things of Christ, so Paul would be not even in that category. So I champion healthy integration to be part the conversation in any writing involving Paul.

Upvote 0