Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Came directly out of the Assemblies of God church
I can see how that happened. Although I’m sure the Assemblies of God based churches are appalled.

Isn’t there a faction of the Assemblies of God churches that do believe that tongues are mandatory though? Thought I read that

• Agree
Reactions: Tzav
Upvote 0

Tzav

No fetuses were harmed by this membership.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
✟36,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Isn’t there a faction of the Assemblies of God churches that do believe that tongues are mandatory though? Thought I read that
Absolutely. They can also be a circus just like the UPC.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Absolutely. They can also be a circus just like the UPC.
That is when they get into serious error and divide God’s people.

The fruit of the Spirit is to be what Christians should seek to tell them who is Christ’s.

Upvote 0

Timothy416

Dec 31, 2018
Inverness
✟10,322.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello brothers and sisters. I was raised my entire childhood in a UPC church, but I got involved with a Presbyterian (now my fiance) who opened my view to the Trinity, and helped for me to become more open minded with the Scriptures in regards to baptism, speaking in tongues, and other things. I struggled with accepting the doctrine taught by the UPC denomination, but I feel more secure in my faith now more than ever since I have been able to take a look at the Word without fear. However, most of my family still attends that church and it has caused a lot of tension, especially with the upcoming wedding. I still attend church with my mother once a week to keep the peace, and I truly believe she is at peace. But my grandmother has begun saying things behind my back, and she called my will be in-laws and my fiance heathens to my face, amongst other things. I have been under pressure from her, my bridesmaids, as well as many of my attendees. Because they are all opinionated, biased people, I feel uncomfortable explaining to them my faith when I know they will trash it. I do not want to put my pearls before swine, but with the wedding another 3 1/2 months away and my fiance 1000 miles, I feel like I have to explain myself. I know I should not have to, but that denomination breeds pressure. Additionally, I feel like a "baby Christian" because of the vastly different theological differences I now believe, despite being a Christian my entire life. Has anybody left a Pentecostal church, specifically the Oneness doctrine and stayed in church? All of the people that I know left the church have led immoral lives. They go from one extreme to another. I need advice from someone who left on how they handled the transition.

Thank you,
A Tired Bride to be
There is a very sound, biblical reason people would leave such churches, go to the other extreme and live immoral lives, but I won't go into it here. Yes, I left a Pentecostal church but it did not stop me continuing at church. The most important thing is, you go to a church where you have peace and gain the most benefit. I am sorry that in your case that has led to so much tension
God bless

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I can see how that happened. Although I’m sure the Assemblies of God based churches are appalled.

Assemblies Of God hold to a second act of Grace, the baptism in the Holy Ghost, which us Always evidenced b y speaking in other tongues, hold to believers water baptism, but unlike the UPC, do NOT hold that water baptism must be done , nor in a certain way, in order to get saved! Neither do they hold to tongues must be spoken to be saved!

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Timothy416

Dec 31, 2018
Inverness
✟10,322.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In the UK there are two main Pentecostal churches, Elim and AOG(Assemblies of God) Assemblies of God say Tongues is the evidence you have been baptised in the Holy Spirit. In other words, if you do not speak in tongues you have not received that Baptism. Elim believe you can be baptised in the Holy Spirit without the evidence of speaking in tongues. But as another poster has stated, tongues is not a salvation issue in the AOG church

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In the UK there are two main Pentecostal churches, Elim and AOG(Assemblies of God) Assemblies of God say Tongues is the evidence you have been baptised in the Holy Spirit. In other words, if you do not speak in tongues you have not received that Baptism. Elim believe you can be baptised in the Holy Spirit without the evidence of speaking in tongues. But as another poster has stated, tongues is not a salvation issue in the AOG church
Nor is the method of the water Baptism, as they baptize in the name of the father, Jesus, Holy Spirit, and not just in name of jesus Only!

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Assemblies Of God hold to a second act of Grace, the baptism in the Holy Ghost, which us Always evidenced b y speaking in other tongues, hold to believers water baptism, but unlike the UPC, do NOT hold that water baptism must be done , nor in a certain way, in order to get saved! Neither do they hold to tongues must be spoken to be saved!
Can you please re-word your response.

It's a little confusing. Are you saying all AOG require proof of tongues as mandatory or some?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nor is the method of the water Baptism, as they baptize in the name of the father, Jesus, Holy Spirit, and not just in name of jesus Only!
[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]! Bad memories flood my mind as the whole "Jesus Only" baptism is the only valid baptism and those baptised in the name of the "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" are not Christians.

Don't they realize they are CRAZY and try to steal Christianity. Being non-Trinitarian, they are a cult.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Timothy416

Dec 31, 2018
Inverness
✟10,322.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's a little confusing. Are you saying all AOG require proof of tongues as mandatory or some?
AOG require proof of speaking in tongues in order for a person to be baptised in the Holy Spirit, in that sense it is mandatory. It is not mandatory in order to be saved

• Agree
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Speaking in tongues must be done in order to indicate one has received the so called "Baptist in the Holy Ghost". They are confused about the working of the Holy Spirit, as what we being indwelt and infilled by the Holy Spirit!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues must be done in order to indicate one has received the so called "Baptist in the Holy Ghost". They are confused about the working of the Holy Spirit, as what we being indwelt and infilled by the Holy Spirit!
They do not teach heresy as the UPC, but are confused in some aspects of their theology!

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The phrase I was taught many years ago to be used when witnesses or proselyting was....."Are you born again WITH THE EVIDENCE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So I want to make sure I am understanding there position.

So their position is that salvation does NOT need to be validated by tongues, but if people are claiming an additional baptism of the Holy Spirit than that additional or second baptism is what requires proof of tongues?

Or do I not understand it.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So I want to make sure I am understanding there position.

So their position is that salvation does NOT need to be validated by tongues, but if people are claiming an additional baptism of the Holy Spirit than that additional or second baptism is what requires proof of tongues?

Or do I not understand it.
Yes, you have it, as they would see all are saved by receiving Jesus as lord thru faith, but to get "extra power" of the Holy Spirit, need to get Baptized in Him, and that will be evidenced by speaking in other tongues!

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, you have it, as they would see all are saved by receiving Jesus as lord thru faith, but to get "extra power" of the Holy Spirit, need to get Baptized in Him, and that will be evidenced by speaking in other tongues!
Ok. By George I think I got it!

Upvote 0