Recovering Apostolic Pentecostal

Jul 28, 2016
United States
✟15,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello brothers and sisters. I was raised my entire childhood in a UPC church, but I got involved with a Presbyterian (now my fiance) who opened my view to the Trinity, and helped for me to become more open minded with the Scriptures in regards to baptism, speaking in tongues, and other things. I struggled with accepting the doctrine taught by the UPC denomination, but I feel more secure in my faith now more than ever since I have been able to take a look at the Word without fear. However, most of my family still attends that church and it has caused a lot of tension, especially with the upcoming wedding. I still attend church with my mother once a week to keep the peace, and I truly believe she is at peace. But my grandmother has begun saying things behind my back, and she called my will be in-laws and my fiance heathens to my face, amongst other things. I have been under pressure from her, my bridesmaids, as well as many of my attendees. Because they are all opinionated, biased people, I feel uncomfortable explaining to them my faith when I know they will trash it. I do not want to put my pearls before swine, but with the wedding another 3 1/2 months away and my fiance 1000 miles, I feel like I have to explain myself. I know I should not have to, but that denomination breeds pressure. Additionally, I feel like a "baby Christian" because of the vastly different theological differences I now believe, despite being a Christian my entire life. Has anybody left a Pentecostal church, specifically the Oneness doctrine and stayed in church? All of the people that I know left the church have led immoral lives. They go from one extreme to another. I need advice from someone who left on how they handled the transition.

Thank you,
A Tired Bride to be

J. Elias

Jul 31, 2016
Oklahoma, USA
✟9,593.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Interestingly, I just crossed the line from continuationist to cessationist myself. Unfortunately I've met with a lot of the same resistance you have, InLove. Also coincidentally, my girlfriend is still a continuationist but I have been trying to draw her to study the matter with me, in the hopes that we can both come to the truth together. I was already starting to look for another home church when I was convinced of cessationism. My old church doesn't do any Sunday School and I had lots of theology questions that never got answered, plus it was a mega-church, so I decided to search for something smaller and more traditional where I can grow. I might suggest the same for you, though it ought to be done with much prayer.

So, perhaps I don't have so much advice for you, but perhaps it helps knowing someone else is in a similar boat. I do hope things go well with your family and friends in the church. Keep pursuing God no matter what!

Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
frankly speaking, what upc believes is the modern version of the ancient heresy called sabellianism (! search it on wiki). old flavor, different packaging. i advise you to slowly live your life to the 'whole' revelation of the gospel, and not selected parts manipulated to support an idea long judged as heresy.

Hello brothers and sisters. I was raised my entire childhood in a UPC church, but I got involved with a Presbyterian (now my fiance) who opened my view to the Trinity, and helped for me to become more open minded with the Scriptures in regards to baptism, speaking in tongues, and other things. I struggled with accepting the doctrine taught by the UPC denomination, but I feel more secure in my faith now more than ever since I have been able to take a look at the Word without fear. However, most of my family still attends that church and it has caused a lot of tension, especially with the upcoming wedding. I still attend church with my mother once a week to keep the peace, and I truly believe she is at peace. But my grandmother has begun saying things behind my back, and she called my will be in-laws and my fiance heathens to my face, amongst other things. I have been under pressure from her, my bridesmaids, as well as many of my attendees. Because they are all opinionated, biased people, I feel uncomfortable explaining to them my faith when I know they will trash it. I do not want to put my pearls before swine, but with the wedding another 3 1/2 months away and my fiance 1000 miles, I feel like I have to explain myself. I know I should not have to, but that denomination breeds pressure. Additionally, I feel like a "baby Christian" because of the vastly different theological differences I now believe, despite being a Christian my entire life. Has anybody left a Pentecostal church, specifically the Oneness doctrine and stayed in church? All of the people that I know left the church have led immoral lives. They go from one extreme to another. I need advice from someone who left on how they handled the transition.

Thank you,
A Tired Bride to be

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Thank you,
A Tired Bride to be

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through.

Frankly, if my family members trashed my religion to the point of calling me names, I would probably not want them at my wedding. I understand, however, that such a drastic action might not be ideal, as it could further (irreparably) damage the relationship.

I think I would be direct with the offending family members: that you understand they are happy with their religious tradition, but after some seeking you decided that a traditional (Trinitarian) Christian church is where you belong, & that they must respect your choice even if they don't agree.

If they are friendly, you could simply direct them to your denomination's website or invite them to a service if they want to learn more. If they are uncharitable...well, how you handle that is up to you. You could respond that you've stated your position & will not be discussing religion with them again. If they persist with accusations or name-calling, it might be time to evaluate whether the relationship is fixable.

Good luck to you.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please remember that posts (including links) teaching against the Trinity are not allowed in the Christian-only forums here. They are only allowed in the Outreach forums.

As the Statement of Purpose for this forum states: “All members who participate in this forum are self-identified Christians through adherence to the Christian Forums' Statement of Faith and the Trinitarian nature of God.”

• Agree
Reactions: Newtheran
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd strongly recommend a book by John MacArthur called "Strange Fire". I think it'll help you understand a little better the discrepancies you're beginning to see.

LOVE your Avatar!!!!!

I am from Alabama...……"Cullman'Battleground" area.

This has nothing to do with the forum but the TIDE looks great!

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
LOVE your Avatar!!!!!

I am from Alabama...……"Cullman'Battleground" area.

This has nothing to do with the forum but the TIDE looks great!

They do indeed!

It's a lonely pursuit here in the UK though lol

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thank you,
A Tired Bride to be

What a blessing you have been given. Thank God for your loved one who has led you from the false teachings you were being exposed to.

My advice is to did into the Word of God. When you do that you will be able to see how your feelings and understandings have been manipulated.
When you study the Scriptures then you can respond to those who are only doing what a man is telling them to do by telling them what God has said was acceptable to do.

Allow me to say this in an example for you.
The Oneness Pentecostals/and others who want to speak in tongues, must believe in Apostolic succession or "Continuationism".
But the Bible truth is that there is NO Scripture in the Bible whatsoever that gives any directions to the office of the Apostle being continued after John.
Apostolic succession is not biblical. The concept of apostolic succession is never found in Scripture, therefore the "sign" gifts given to them all ended when John died.

Personally, I do not know how anyone can leave the Oneness Pentecostal faith and stay in the church itself.

I think that the question that YOU must ask yourself is ......…
Do I stay and try to reform a movement that does not follow God's directions,
or do I leave it in the hands of God and unite with a church that I feel is on the right path and teaches only the Word of God as opposed to man?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They do indeed!

It's a lonely pursuit here in the UK though lol

Well God bless you brother!

It is a joy to know that the TIDE rolls in England as well as it does here in Florida.

Remember it is not you against the world but God who is for the world and if he has placed you in England to spread the gospel, then He will give you the strength and power to do so.

If I can ever be of any help theologically or encouragement personally, please do not hesitate to ask.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are not alone in that battle.

Next time, they start name calling. Raise up your hand in a stop position and walk away.

"All of the people that I know left the church have led immoral lives. "

How do you know this is true? Often groups will tell bad stories about those who leave and practice shunning.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you,
A Tired Bride to be

United Pentecostals are considered "modalists" and I am sure you already know that. You can not change those who hold this false doctrine with conviction due to generational teaching. All you can do is love them and separate from this denomination in order to serve your Lord and Savior. Ultimately, bad theology is not going to stop them from being with the Lord he knows their heart. However you who have been given then truth should not go back to what you know is not the truth. That may mean separation from your family. Jesus did warn us of that ahead of time.
Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
United Pentecostals are considered "modalists" and I am sure you already know that. You can not change those who hold this false doctrine with conviction due to generational teaching. All you can do is love them and separate from this denomination in order to serve your Lord and Savior. Ultimately, bad theology is not going to stop them from being with the Lord he knows their heart. However you who have been given then truth should not go back to what you know is not the truth. That may mean separation from your family. Jesus did warn us of that ahead of time.
Blessings.

I have several family members who are of the Pentecostal persuasion.

Instead of total separation, Over the years we have learned not to talk religion.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thank you,
A Tired Bride to be

Do a little reading about church history and the Nicene Creed. Be nice to your family, but remember Genesis 2:24. Marrying him will mean leaving your UPC background in the rearview mirror.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Thank you,
A Tired Bride to be
I was a teaching Elder int he AOG church, and now am a memeber of a Baptist church, so casn understand your moving from one set of doctrines to another!

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are not marrying your mother in law you are marrying your husband, his is the only opinion that matters....you can abide with his denomination while holding your own views and maintaining your own personal relation with the Lord.

There is no such thing as cessationalism...some gifts are more acceptable than others, the word of wisdom, of knowledge have always been in evidence in the church as has discernment of spirits.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You are not marrying your mother in law you are marrying your husband, his is the only opinion that matters....you can abide with his denomination while holding your own views and maintaining your own personal relation with the Lord.

There is no such thing as cessationalism...some gifts are more acceptable than others, the word of wisdom, of knowledge have always been in evidence in the church as has discernment of spirits.
There have been no persons gifted by God as the Apostles were in the sign gifts though since that time!

Upvote 0