Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What's CBMW? :)

~bella

The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood- the leading purveyor of complementarianism. They wrote the book Discovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Headquarted at SBTS in Louisville, KY.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood- the leading purveyor of complementarianism. They wrote the book Discovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Headquarted at SBTS in Louisville, KY.

Thank you. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

My daughter is looking for a devotional for her fiance but wants to make sure it doesn't include any CBMW-type yuckiness. Suggestions?

New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp is the best devotional I ever read. He's probably a complementarian, but I don't remember any yucky complementarian junk in it.

I have it on Kindle. Doing some searches, I see the word husband 16 times and wife 26 times, but I don't see any of those having to do with a marital hierarchy.

The word submit comes up 30 times, but it's always in reference to submitting to God, not to another person.

The Scripture index shows Ephesians 5 referred to one time, on August 17, and it's at the end of the devotional - "For further study and encouragement: Ephesians 5:22–6:9"

I'm feeling pretty safe to say there is none of that in it at all. Or if it is... a very minuscule amount. And it's truly a wonderful devotional.

• Informative
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp is the best devotional I ever read. He's probably a complementarian, but I don't remember any yucky complementarian junk in it.

I have it on Kindle. Doing some searches, I see the word husband 16 times and wife 26 times, but I don't see any of those having to do with a marital hierarchy.

The word submit comes up 30 times, but it's always in reference to submitting to God, not to another person.

The Scripture index shows Ephesians 5 referred to one time, on August 17, and it's at the end of the devotional - "For further study and encouragement: Ephesians 5:22–6:9"

I'm feeling pretty safe to say there is none of that in it at all. Or if it is... a very minuscule amount. And it's truly a wonderful devotional.

Thank you for doing this research! Really appreciate it. This sounds like a safe resource.

Soapbox: It's frustrating that the Ephesians sections always start with 5:22 instead of 5:21, which contains the verb for 5:22. Eph 5:22 itself does not have a verb (in the original writings), so starting the passage out there doesn't make sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for doing this research! Really appreciate it. This sounds like a safe resource.

Soapbox: It's frustrating that the Ephesians sections always start with 5:22 instead of 5:21, which contains the verb for 5:22. Eph 5:22 itself does not have a verb (in the original writings), so starting the passage out there doesn't make sense.

I am of the belief that starting with Ephesians 5:22 and ignoring Ephesians 5:21 is very intentional. It happens so often, even here on CF, that I begin to wonder if some people's bibles are missing that verse entirely, or perhaps they've just blotted it out. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I am of the belief that starting with Ephesians 5:22 and ignoring Ephesians 5:21 is very intentional. It happens so often, even here on CF, that I begin to wonder if some people's bibles are missing that verse entirely, or perhaps they've just blotted it out. :)

Well so often it's blocked off that way in our Bibles. THAT is intentional and wrong. I'm grateful that lately Bibles are starting to block it off at verse 21. EVEN BETTER is when they indicate 5:21-6:9 is one section.

The new NIV Study Bible makes notation of that. This is a NEW note:

5:21—6:9 In chs. 2–4 Paul showed the way God brought believing Jews and Gentiles together into a new relationship in Christ. In 4:1–6 he stressed the importance of unity. Now he shows how believers, filled with the Spirit, can live together in a practical way in various human relationships. This list of responsibilities is similar to the pattern of ancient household codes (Col 3:18—4:1; 1Pe 2:13—3:12) with key differences based on Christian theology and mutuality (see article) Ephesians 5:21 (NIV Study Bible, Fully Revised Notes)

And the referenced article:

Household Expectations in the First Century
1Pe 2:13—3:7
The form of a household or domestic code occurs at a few places in the NT: Eph 5:21—6:9; Col 3:18—4:6; 1Pe 2:13—3:7. This literary genre was commonplace in the Mediterranean world prior to and around the time of the NT. These codes provided a set of expectations for the key relationships in the household, directed toward the head of the house—often called the paterfamilias. The typical pattern would include instructions for the husband toward wives, master toward slaves, and father toward children. In other words, these codes provided directives to the male head to rule well his household, including his wife, slaves, and children. For example, Aristotle in his Politics delineates the key relationships of the house as “master and slave, husband and wife, father and children” (1.2.1, 1253b) and comments that “it is a part of the household science to rule over wife and children” (1.5.1, 1259a).
If we compare Greco-Roman household codes with those in the NT, we see that these three common categories are used in Ephesians and Colossians. 1 Peter omits the category of children to fathers and adds the relationship of the Christian to those who govern (2:13–17), which is particularly important to his audience who is experiencing suffering because of their withdrawal from civic life centered around pagan temples (4:3–4).
Yet the NT’s household codes do not simply follow cultural expectations in every way, though they do in their calls to submission: slaves to their masters; wives to their husbands; children to their fathers or parents. This exhortation would not have struck any reader as odd or unusual. There are, however, a number of features of the NT codes that were unusual or unique and that imply that Christian households were to be less autocratic and patriarchal than their pagan counterparts.
First, in contrast to the household code formula, Paul and Peter directly address the household members with less power (wives, children, and slaves), providing them a greater sense of agency in their relationships. Peter’s address to Christian wives of unbelieving husbands is particularly surprising in this regard, since his call for their submission has as its goal the winning of their non-Christian husbands to faith. This is quite an amazing goal, given the context in which the cultural expectation was for a wife to follow her husband’s gods and not pursue religious devotion on her own. The Greek moralist Plutarch expressed this cultural expectation: “it is becoming for a wife to worship and to know only the gods that her husband believes in” (Advice to Bride and Groom 19, Moralia 140D).
Second, the power of the household head is significantly curtailed in comparison to extra-biblical domestic codes. Instead of the husband ruling over his wife (as in Aristotle), in the spirit of mutual submission (Eph 5:21) he is to love her sacrificially and to avoid any harsh treatment toward her (5:25; Col 3:19). This is quite a counter-cultural stance for the paterfamilias in that culture. Christian husbands are even warned that their prayers will be ineffectual if they do not respect (give honor to) their wives (1Pe 3:7).
Finally, we should remember that Christians were a small and often struggling religious group within Judaism in the first century. They would likely have had no pretensions of ridding their world of slavery, patriarchy, or the Roman Empire. Their calling was to live out the gospel as those without much cultural power and to be missional both within the household and outside of it. The NT household codes positioned those first-century Christians to accommodate to cultural expectations as much as possible, while remaining true to Christ, the gospel, and their mission. 1 Peter 2:13 (NIV Study Bible, Fully Revised Notes)

IMO this is a HUGE step forward. (I studied the Bible for 30 years, but never heard of the household codes until I became an egalitarian.)

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Well so often it's blocked off that way in our Bibles. THAT is intentional and wrong. I'm grateful that lately Bibles are starting to block it off at verse 21. EVEN BETTER is when they indicate 5:21-6:9 is one section.

The new NIV Study Bible makes notation of that. This is a NEW note:

5:21—6:9 In chs. 2–4 Paul showed the way God brought believing Jews and Gentiles together into a new relationship in Christ. In 4:1–6 he stressed the importance of unity. Now he shows how believers, filled with the Spirit, can live together in a practical way in various human relationships. This list of responsibilities is similar to the pattern of ancient household codes (Col 3:18—4:1; 1Pe 2:13—3:12) with key differences based on Christian theology and mutuality (see article) Ephesians 5:21 (NIV Study Bible, Fully Revised Notes)

And the referenced article:

Household Expectations in the First Century
1Pe 2:13—3:7
The form of a household or domestic code occurs at a few places in the NT: Eph 5:21—6:9; Col 3:18—4:6; 1Pe 2:13—3:7. This literary genre was commonplace in the Mediterranean world prior to and around the time of the NT. These codes provided a set of expectations for the key relationships in the household, directed toward the head of the house—often called the paterfamilias. The typical pattern would include instructions for the husband toward wives, master toward slaves, and father toward children. In other words, these codes provided directives to the male head to rule well his household, including his wife, slaves, and children. For example, Aristotle in his Politics delineates the key relationships of the house as “master and slave, husband and wife, father and children” (1.2.1, 1253b) and comments that “it is a part of the household science to rule over wife and children” (1.5.1, 1259a).
If we compare Greco-Roman household codes with those in the NT, we see that these three common categories are used in Ephesians and Colossians. 1 Peter omits the category of children to fathers and adds the relationship of the Christian to those who govern (2:13–17), which is particularly important to his audience who is experiencing suffering because of their withdrawal from civic life centered around pagan temples (4:3–4).
Yet the NT’s household codes do not simply follow cultural expectations in every way, though they do in their calls to submission: slaves to their masters; wives to their husbands; children to their fathers or parents. This exhortation would not have struck any reader as odd or unusual. There are, however, a number of features of the NT codes that were unusual or unique and that imply that Christian households were to be less autocratic and patriarchal than their pagan counterparts.
First, in contrast to the household code formula, Paul and Peter directly address the household members with less power (wives, children, and slaves), providing them a greater sense of agency in their relationships. Peter’s address to Christian wives of unbelieving husbands is particularly surprising in this regard, since his call for their submission has as its goal the winning of their non-Christian husbands to faith. This is quite an amazing goal, given the context in which the cultural expectation was for a wife to follow her husband’s gods and not pursue religious devotion on her own. The Greek moralist Plutarch expressed this cultural expectation: “it is becoming for a wife to worship and to know only the gods that her husband believes in” (Advice to Bride and Groom 19, Moralia 140D).
Second, the power of the household head is significantly curtailed in comparison to extra-biblical domestic codes. Instead of the husband ruling over his wife (as in Aristotle), in the spirit of mutual submission (Eph 5:21) he is to love her sacrificially and to avoid any harsh treatment toward her (5:25; Col 3:19). This is quite a counter-cultural stance for the paterfamilias in that culture. Christian husbands are even warned that their prayers will be ineffectual if they do not respect (give honor to) their wives (1Pe 3:7).
Finally, we should remember that Christians were a small and often struggling religious group within Judaism in the first century. They would likely have had no pretensions of ridding their world of slavery, patriarchy, or the Roman Empire. Their calling was to live out the gospel as those without much cultural power and to be missional both within the household and outside of it. The NT household codes positioned those first-century Christians to accommodate to cultural expectations as much as possible, while remaining true to Christ, the gospel, and their mission. 1 Peter 2:13 (NIV Study Bible, Fully Revised Notes)

IMO this is a HUGE step forward. (I studied the Bible for 30 years, but never heard of the household codes until I became an egalitarian.)

In my 20's I had left Christianity and hadn't intended to come back. All I knew were the false teachings that left out Ephesians 5:21 as well as attitudes like that obnoxious man over on the other thread. I had no idea that there was a such thing as egalitarian Christianity. I couldn't reconcile a God that hated women (because of what I'd been taught of Paul) with Jesus Christ who was supposed to be the same God. And then we had the "Moral Majority" and Pat Robertson and all of that sort of crowd (only grown worse now) making God into their own image and I had decided to wash my hands of the whole thing. And then with what must have been the work of the Spirit, my eyes were open and I was able to begin seeing it all in an entirely new way, and a way that was *consistent* with the gospel.

When it comes to Christian devotionals and books and other literature, I often don't trust it. Anything directed towards women or girls is untrustworthy until proven otherwise. Anything on the topic of marriage is also untrustworthy until proven otherwise. For that matter, anything directed towards making people into more "manly" Christians is also untrustworthy. Back then, it was much more difficult to find out any of this information without actually buying a devotional or book and reading it. It's wonderful to be able to just come online and ask.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums