Receiving the Holy Spirit vs. Being filled with the Holy Spirit - What is the difference?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Context of "receiving the Holy Spirit":

14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they would receive the Holy Spirit. 16 (For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit. 18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, 19 saying, “Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” 20 But Peter said to him, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could acquire the gift of God with money! 21 You have no part or share in this matter, for your heart is not right before God. 22 Therefore, repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart will be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of unrighteousness.” 24 But Simon answered and said, “Pray to the Lord for me yourselves, so that nothing of what you have said may come upon me.” (Acts 8:14-24 NASB)

Now it happened that while Apollos was in Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. 2 He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “On the contrary, we have not even heard if there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4 Paul said, “John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7 There were about twelve men in all. (Acts 19:1-7 NASB)​

Context of "being filled with the Holy Spirit":

15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; 16 for I will show him how much he must suffer in behalf of My name.” 17 So Ananias departed and entered the house, and after laying his hands on him said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you were coming, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 And immediately something like fish scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight, and he got up and was baptized; 19 and he took food and was strengthened. (Acts 9:15-19 NASB)

31 And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:31 NASB)​

Question: What is the difference between "receiving the Holy Spirit" (Acts 8:14-20; 19:1-7) and "being filled with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 9:17; 4:31)? Are the phrases always interchangeable?

Note: This thread is specifically concerned with the semantical distinctions (if any) between the phrases "receiving the Holy Spirit" and "being filled with the Holy Spirit". That said, if someone wants to take the opportunity to also discuss other phrases/concepts such as "baptism of the Holy Spirit", "indwelling of the Holy Spirit", "sealing of the Holy Spirit", "empowering of the Holy Spirit", etc., they are welcome to do so

Last edited:

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Two words............

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received (dechomai) the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive (lambanō)
the Holy Ghost:

The word for receive in verse 14 is the Greek word dechomai …which is to receive subjectively.

In verse 15 the word for receive is the Greek word lambanō …which is to receive objectively… or into manifestation.

In Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

What did Simon see …the manifestation of receiving was them speaking in tongues.

People get born again all the time (they receive the holy spirit) ...but they don't always manifest which was/is the evidence in the senses world.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,173.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It amazes me in this day and time we have over 33,000 Christian denominations (so I've heard). I can look into a church within these 33,000 and find a variety of results. It seems that the man most "Spirit Filled" will do the best. And there are men within that same denomination who do horribly... Within the same denomination of the man who is doing great? What is the difference? Is it not the Holy Spirit?

And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing. - Isaiah 10:27

I believe it is the anointing of the Holy Spirit that breaks the yoke. A man anointed with the Holy Spirit will do well as we can sense the Spirit in his life.

The Holy Spirit... What is the difference? Father Cedric does a good job of saying that it starts beginning with a hunger... That is receiving the Holy Spirit. I believe it grows into something uniquely Godly, that is the infilling. And that is what makes an interesting guy to listen to! When he uniquely gets filled with the Holy Spirit it is a neat thing to listen to his unique message!

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they would receive the Holy Spirit. 16 (For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit. 18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, 19 saying, “Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” 20 But Peter said to him, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could acquire the gift of God with money! 21 You have no part or share in this matter, for your heart is not right before God. 22 Therefore, repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart will be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of unrighteousness.” 24 But Simon answered and said, “Pray to the Lord for me yourselves, so that nothing of what you have said may come upon me.” (Acts 8:14-24 NASB)

Now it happened that while Apollos was in Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. 2 He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “On the contrary, we have not even heard if there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4 Paul said, “John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7 There were about twelve men in all. (Acts 19:1-7 NASB)​

15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; 16 for I will show him how much he must suffer in behalf of My name.” 17 So Ananias departed and entered the house, and after laying his hands on him said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you were coming, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 And immediately something like fish scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight, and he got up and was baptized; 19 and he took food and was strengthened. (Acts 9:15-19 NASB)

31 And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:31 NASB)​

Question: What is the difference between "receiving the Holy Spirit" (Acts 8:14-20; 19:1-7) and "being filled with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 9:17; 4:31)? Are the phrases always interchangeable?

Note: This thread is specifically concerned with the semantical distinctions (if any) between the phrases "receiving the Holy Spirit" and "being filled with the Holy Spirit". That said, if someone wants to take the opportunity to also discuss other phrases/concepts such as "baptism of the Holy Spirit", "indwelling of the Holy Spirit", "sealing of the Holy Spirit", "empowering of the Holy Spirit", etc., they are welcome to do so

To receive the Holy Spirit is to be baptized into the Spirit through the laying on of hands of an apostle. But the writers of the bible attributed the speaking of truth to the working of the Holy Spirit. So to speak the truth regarding the gospel was to speak by the Spirit or to speak as one filled with the Spirit.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,173.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And to remember...

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23

If someone is truly filled with the Holy Spirit you will have the ability to look inside and see wonderful things!

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Making a theological pivot from word usage can lead to confusion.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I tend to believe they are one and the same. Sometimes we " quench" Him so He has to give a boost aka filling. Blessings.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

First and foremost, the term "filled", when applied to a substance such as 'filled with smoke' (as opposed to an emotion such as 'filled with a joy') always has a volumetric connotation (means a mass/volume of substance), especially if the receptacle/container is ALSO a substance (e.g. 'the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God' - Rev 15). I'm confident that you won't find any exception to this rule in any text whether biblical or extra-biblical. Effectively these two statements are the same:

1. "Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle" (Ex 40).

2. They heard the sound of a mighty rushing wind...and they were all filled with the Holy [Wind/Breath]" (Acts 2).

Volumetric in both cases. Although this doesn't really tell us the AMOUNT outpoured (after all a smoke-filled container could be rather sparse), nonetheless Scripture probably uses the term "filled" to indicate a SIGNIFICANT amount, that is, a significant degree of empowerment beyond the pale of the ordinary, run-of-the-mill "receiving" of the Spirit.

Secondly, a number of noted scholars have made a fairly convincing argument that "filled" has a particular significance for Luke. Spirit-filled is a term occurring about 14 times in the NT - all of them in Luke's writings - except for Ephesians 5:18. So how does Luke use this term, according to this modern scholarship? Luke wrote in the tradition of the biblical historians, many of whom emphasized prophetic utterance. The biblical historians normally used this terminology:

1. The Spirit fell upon him, and he prophesied. OR:
2. The Word of the Lord came to him, and he prophesied.

But Luke's preferred terminology is basically this:

3. He was filled with the Spirit, and prophesied.

Thus for Luke, Spirit-filled NORMALLY means an outpouring for inspired speech (especially evangelism). These kinds of outpourings are TEMPORARY and thus repetitive (note that the divine Word came to the prophet Jeremiah over and over). Here's a good example of Spirit-filling for evangelism as inspired-speech (not to mention Pentecost):

"After they had prayed, their meeting place was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly" (Acts 4:31).

That was a significant amount of power - a FILLING of power - as evidenced by two things:
A. It was an earthquake.
B. It led to Spirit-inspired speech.

Besides these temporary fillings for inspired-speech, seems Luke was ALSO aware of a filling given to abide/remain (i.e. for sanctification) even though he rarely mentions it (Acts 11:24).

More sanctification is always needed in the church. And more Spirit-inspired speech is also needed. Therefore we should always be praying for fillings/revivals. Hence this is how Jesus taught His disciples to pray DAILY:

"How much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?" (Lk 11:13).

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Secondly, a number of noted scholars have made a fairly convincing argument that "filled" has a particular significance for Luke. Spirit-filled is a term occurring about 14 times in the NT - all of them in Luke's writings - except for Ephesians 5:18.

What are your thoughts on Ephesians 5:18? In what sense is Paul encouraging Christians to "be filled with the Spirit"? From the context, it seems to me that Paul is referring to a Spirit-filling that produces joy and worship rather than "empowerment for evangelism", given that he compares it to the experience of being drunk on wine, and follows it up with expressions of praise and worship:

15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, 20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. (Ephesians 5:15-21 ESV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are your thoughts on Ephesians 5:18? In what sense is Paul encouraging Christians to "be filled with the Spirit"? From the context, it seems to me that Paul is referring to a Spirit-filling that produces joy and worship rather than "empowerment for evangelism", given that he compares it to the experience of being drunk on wine, and follows it up with expressions of praise and worship:

15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, 20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. (Ephesians 5:15-21 ESV)
Yes I agree that Ephes 5:18 seems to have in mind fillings for sanctification instead of charismatic empowerment. Given the imperfection seemingly inherent to this life, however, I don't think absolute fullness (perfect sanctification) will be attained until the next life.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well the issue is about what is 'absolute' when it comes to translation.

Is it the most modern translations?

if so which one?

Is it the Greek text - if so which one ???

Is it the consensus of the church fathers? Which ones and which text did they refer to?

Is it the voices of our most famous contemporary scholars?

Frankly I don't think it is any of the above.

The only absolute is what the Holy Spirit says.

The Pharisees were experts in the text but missed the Word of God.

Truth is a relational issue.

Was the Scripture divinely inspired? - Yes.

Do we always hear what He meant? - No.

Does analysis of the text guarantee Truth? - No.

• Informative
Upvote 0