✟23,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Romans 1:1-4
"Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
(Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead."

I want to draw attention here to the spirit of holiness; the spirit that is of God, and in fact IS God, for He says His name is Holy, as Isaiah 57:15 - "For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones."

It's by this spirit of holiness God raised Christ from the dead, for true holiness is separate from death, cannot partake of death, and since Jesus was perfectly holy, with the Holy Spirit given in His fullness, For God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him (John 3:34), death could not hold Him.

Hebrews 10:7, 9, 10 & 14
"Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.... Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."

Here we see Christ doing the Fathers will, and by offering of the body of Jesus Christ we are sanctified. This is hagiazō ἁγιάζω - to separate from profane things, to hallow, to cleanse, to purify free from the guilt of sin, to purify internally by the renewal of the soul....HalleluYAH!
It's from the same root word of the word used in Romans 1:4 translated holiness: hagiōsynē ἁγιωσύνη - majesty, holiness, moral purity. And He has perfected, that is, brought to completion, fulfilled, finished, consecrated.

We serve a Holy God who is the very spirit of holiness, and that same Spirit is given us, for He is indeed the Holy Spirit. Oh, let's not take this lightly. I'm afraid so many do. Be careful. The Spirit can be grieved, He can be quenched, and God forbid, He be blasphemed!

Look at Acts 20:32
"And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified."
And Christs own words in Acts 26:18; it's when He called Saul who then became Paul the Apostle, "To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

Now we see we are sanctified by faith, and more specifically, the faith that is IN ME, saith the Lord. That can mean both faith IN Christ by our trust and belief in Him from the heart, and the faith that is a part of Christ Himself, for he gives measures of faith, and the gift of faith:
"God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith" Rom. 12:3. And in 1 Corinthians 12 there is the gift of faith by the Spirit, given by the Spirit to profit withal.

Now lets look at Romans 8:8-14, keeping in mind the Spirit, that is the spirit of holiness, for the Spirit of God can be none other than Holy. Amen!
"So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
(Here we see the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ, which is a wonderful verse showing the Father and Son as one. But take heed also, and realize there's also a warning here: if ye have not the Spirit of Christ, you are none of His. And notice the "ifs" here. Conditional. You are in the Spirit only IF the Spirit of God dwell in you, and IF you haven't the Spirit of Christ, you are none of His: you don't belong to Him)
And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
(The Scripture calls us debtors. Debtors to what? To whom? Not to the flesh, obviously! To the SPIRIT. And there's some more "ifs". IF Christ be in you, if the Spirit dwell in you - again showing Christ and the Spirit are one.)
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

Who are the sons of God? They who have the Spirit in them, and are led by the Spirit.

Isaiah 13:3
"I have commanded my sanctified ones, I have also called my mighty ones for mine anger, even them that rejoice in my highness."
קָדַשׁ Qadash = Holy, sanctified, to be set apart, consecrated, dedicated, kept apart...separated unto the service of God exclusively. Are you one that rejoices in Gods highness? And that means what it says, as in majesty, as Kings were called "Your Highness." In this case we are dealing with the living God, exalted, lifted up, which is another meaning of "ga'ava" גאוה - a rising up, as well as excellency.
The King of Kings and Lord of Lords is the highness and excellency of all creation!

1 Thessalonians 5:22-24
" Abstain from all appearance of evil.
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it."

Can we be sanctified wholly? The Word says it. In the same verse it says spirit, soul, and body preserved blameless. Blameless, faultless. Dead to sin. How can we get there? The spirit of holiness. Pray. Ask, and it shall be given. Shall He not give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him? Indeed, He will!

I'll finish with a good chunk of Ephesians 5 verses 1 - 21, as this sums it up, how we can live in the Spirit, live by the same power of the spirit of holiness that raised Christ from the dead.
"Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God."

• Winner
Reactions: Siddhi Koli

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This was a great but long post on the spirit of holiness in Romans 1.
I have a capital S in my favorite English NT translation there.

Concerning His Son, who came out of the seed of David according to the flesh,
Who was designated the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness out of the resurrection of the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord
; (Rom. 1:3,4 RcV)

I would like to contribute a scripture song to this great post from Hebrews 10:7-10.

Upvote 0