Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm beginning this as a discussion so that others outside of the regulars here can post about it also. Let's hope it doesn't turn into a mess.

Last night The Holy Spirit brought a subject up to me that I had not put much thought into before. He brought back to remembrance an experience I had happen just a few days after I was born again. This was back in '92 and I was in the Navy at the time. I was down in one of the machinery spaces at some point during the day and it was like I had this sudden urge to speak something. I thought that I was possibly praying out loud or something, but it was like a fire was rising up inside me and around me as I was speaking. The words seemed flow strongly from my heart and I sort of felt The Holy Spirit moving around me during it. It lasted for about a minute or so.

After this happened, I was reminded about a passage in scripture that I had just read about,...

Rev 19:10 And I fell down before his feet to worship him. And he saith unto me, See thou do it not: I am a fellow–servant with thee and with thy brethren that hold the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

I got to thinking about it again and found that I was prophesying only days after I was born again but had not received the filling of The Holy Spirit. The spirit of Jesus (my regenerated human spirit) was witnessing to the truth in this passage of scripture.

I never really put too much thought into that event as others were happening also to me, but as it was brought back to me last night, The Holy Spirit started teaching about the distinctions between the spirit of Christ (our regenerated human spirit) and The Holy Spirit. I was under the assumption that when we were born again we had a small portion of The Holy Spirit placed into our heart and we were then sealed unto the day of redemption. But I'm being shown differently, that that is not the case, that The Holy Spirit must be sought after so that we are filled with Him after water immersion, and the example I was given was Jesus. He did not have The Holy Spirit until after He was water immersed. The text is clear on this in scripture.

I always wondered why Paul asked the disciples he ran into this,....

Act 19:2 and he said to them, "Did ye receive the Holy Spirit, after having believed?" And they said to him, "Nay, we did not even hear whether there is a Holy Spirit."

I thought it was an odd question since I was under the belief that they had a small portion of The Holy Spirit already in their hearts, but after last night, I'm seeing things in a different manner. They didn't have The Holy Spirit inside, and until they were water immersed and Paul laid his hands upon them, did they actually receive The Holy Spirit.

Thinking about this, this spells out all sort of problems for those born again Christians who refuse The Holy Spirit and His gifts. They are trying to run their race on just their regenerated human spirit and nothing more.

Questions, opinions?

Last edited:

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
We see another witness to this in acts,...

15 ¶ Now the Apostles in Jerusalem, upon hearing that Samaria had received the word of GOD, dispatched unto them Peter and John,

16 Who, when they came down, prayed concerning them that they might receive The Holy Spirit,

17 For He was not yet fallen upon any of them, but they were only immersed into The Name of The Lord Jesus.

18 Then they laid hands upon them, and they received The Holy Spirit.

Again, it's hard to ignore the facts of this. The text is saying specifically that they did not have The Holy Spirit until they came there and laid their hands upon them.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Questions, opinions?
The answer lies in received, but you don’t see it in English.

The best example by comparison is in the Samarian account.

There are two basic words (along with several word forms) used in the Bible, for our English word receive.

Dechomai is to receive subjectively.

Lambanō is an objective reception.

An example would be if I gave you a pen and you received it (dechomai) but put it in your pocket.

But if you received (lambanō) the pen and started writing with it you received it into manifestation

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received (dechomai) the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive (lambanō) the Holy Ghost:

Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received (lambanō) the Holy Ghost.

We know that people who are water baptized (since Pentecost) have accepted the Lord as their savior…… It’s not in the baptism, which they were instructed in, it was in the receiving into manifestation which was speaking in tongues. They were not being fully instructed in the evidence or the manifestation thereof.

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received (lambanō) the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, we need so badly to be filled with the HS. I always wanted to make a thread about this, but i don't feel like an 'example', but not having this as a christian or not seeking it, because of wrong theology is so bad.

In many respects, I think old translations (as well as some of the modern ones) do us so much injustice in our scripture understanding. Doctrinally they can be very wrong, which only proves the point,... that just because you can read Greek and Hebrew, doesn't mean that you know scripture.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm beginning this as a discussion so that others outside of the regulars here can post about it also. Let's hope it doesn't turn into a mess.

Last night The Holy Spirit brought a subject up to me that I had not put much thought into before. He brought back to remembrance an experience I had happen just a few days after I was born again. This was back in '92 and I was in the Navy at the time. I was down in one of the machinery spaces at some point during the day and it was like I had this sudden urge to speak something. I thought that I was possibly praying out loud or something, but it was like a fire was rising up inside me and around me as I was speaking. The words seemed flow strongly from my heart and I sort of felt The Holy Spirit moving around me during it. It lasted for about a minute or so.

After this happened, I was reminded about a passage in scripture that I had just read about,...

Rev 19:10 And I fell down before his feet to worship him. And he saith unto me, See thou do it not: I am a fellow–servant with thee and with thy brethren that hold the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

I got to thinking about it again and found that I was prophesying only days after I was born again but had not received the filling of The Holy Spirit. The spirit of Jesus (my regenerated human spirit) was witnessing to the truth in this passage of scripture.

I never really put too much thought into that event as others were happening also to me, but as it was brought back to me last night, The Holy Spirit started teaching about the distinctions between the spirit of Christ (our regenerated human spirit) and The Holy Spirit. I was under the assumption that when we were born again we had a small portion of The Holy Spirit placed into our heart and we were then sealed unto the day of redemption. But I'm being shown differently, that that is not the case, that The Holy Spirit must be sought after so that we are filled with Him after water immersion, and the example I was given was Jesus. He did not have The Holy Spirit until after He was water immersed. The text is clear on this in scripture.

Act 19:2 and he said to them, "Did ye receive the Holy Spirit, after having believed?" And they said to him, "Nay, we did not even hear whether there is a Holy Spirit."

I thought it was an odd question since I was under the belief that they had a small portion of The Holy Spirit already in their hearts, but after last night, I'm seeing things in a different manner. They didn't have The Holy Spirit inside, and until they were water immersed and Paul laid his hands upon them, did they actually receive The Holy Spirit.

Thinking about this, this spells out all sort of problems for those born again Christians who refuse The Holy Spirit and His gifts. They are trying to run their race on just their regenerated human spirit and nothing more.

Questions, opinions?

"Last night The Holy Spirit brought a subject up to me that I had not put much thought into before."

how ?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
"Last night The Holy Spirit brought a subject up to me that I had not put much thought into before."

how ?

By revelation.

It's how He always teaches. It's like an instantaneous deposit of knowledge and understanding on a subject into our human spirit. He's always taught me that way, and I figure it is the same for others who have received Him inside also.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By revelation.

It's how He always teaches. It's like an instantaneous deposit of knowledge and understanding on a subject into our human spirit. He's always taught me that way, and I figure it is the same for others who have received Him inside also.
what was the revelation ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
ok ... ill put it in a question then ... was Jesus without the indwelling of the holy spirit before his baptism in the Jordan ?
To be honest, I don't know, and it's really not good for me to speculate on it.

He was a child of The Holy Spirit as the text in Matthew says, that's true, but He also came to us down here as the Son of man not the Son of GOD. He was both to be honest, but everything He did down here was a perfect example for us to imitate as the Son of man. In fact, He said we would do greater things than He did once He was glorified.

He was immersed by John, and John also witnessed His filling of The Holy Spirit afterwards. That's is our example to follow. Whether He was already filled with The Holy Spirit, I'm not sure since the text is silent.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I don't know, and it's really not good for me to speculate on it.

He was a child of The Holy Spirit as the text in Matthew says, that's true, but He also came to us down here as the Son of man not the Son of GOD. He was both to be honest, but everything He did down here was a perfect example for us to imitate as the Son of man. In fact, He said we would do greater things than He did once He was glorified.

He was immersed by John, and John also witnessed His filling of The Holy Spirit afterwards. That's is our example to follow. Whether He was already filled with The Holy Spirit, I'm not sure since the text is silent.

yes to Jesus the son of man was the son of God ... no division as in his sea was calm, and why the dove Noah sent out ( and did not return ) found rest for her foot on the son of man who is the son of God, understanding that Jesus did nothing of himself having entered into his/our Fathers rest/finnished work ...

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Cornelius received the Spirit first, then water baptism and Peter's empowering at that time.

Interesting points from sandman about receive, in Greek.

When we are born again, surely we are meant to receive Christ, I received the Holy Spirit, others go on to receive the Father's love. The Bible mentions, receive Christ, receive the Holy Spirit, the seal.

When living water flows from Jesus Christ throne, Revelations 22, is it the Spirit of Christ or the Holy Spirit?

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cornelius received the Spirit first, then water baptism and Peter's empowering at that time.

Interesting points from sandman about receive, in Greek.

When we are born again, surely we are meant to receive Christ, I received the Holy Spirit, others go on to receive the Father's love. The Bible mentions, receive Christ, receive the Holy Spirit, the seal.

When living water flows from Jesus Christ throne, Revelations 22, is it the Spirit of Christ or the Holy Spirit?

they be one and the same ....

• Informative
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

(Murdock Peshitta) Rev 22:1 And he showed me a river of living water, transparent [as] crystal, which proceeded from the throne of God and the Lamb.

The text doesn't mention about The Holy Spirit, but symbolically, the river could be viewed as talking about The Holy Spirit proceeding from The Father and The Son. The spirit of Christ in the other books appears to be associated with the regeneration/new birth of a Christian. That was the reason for starting this thread.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Living waters is spirit from God, but i don't think is a person. The same as the love of God we can receive is not a person.

The Greek is not much better in this regard,...

(1881 Revised Version) Rev 22:1 And he shewed me a river of water of life, bright as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb,

But you're correct, it is not necessarily speaking of The Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Questions, opinions?
I've never thought of it like that. If I understand, then, you're viewing the term spirit of Christ more poetically, as a way to express the new creature we become and not as Jesus's Spirit, different from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.