Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why did you originally join CF?

because I became a christian.

Why are you active here? What brings you back?

I like forums as a medium for conversation, learning, and finding interesting things and people. I often enjoy interacting with people here more than in real life because people that come to X part of the forums are concerned with X and in real life you might not be able to find X people for X. also sometimes it's nice to not interact with anyone but to simply read something someone says. sometimes irl I like to listen to people who are kind to each other or getting along. lurking is nice, I think I will probably lurk in one form or another for all eternity.

there is quick access to a variety of topics I enjoy and I can drop out of the conversation whenever I please. being pseudoanonymous brings out certain qualities in people that might not be possible in other settings. thinking with letters and typing seems different than speaking and thinking and I always enjoyed things such as books.

Does CF fulfill what you are hoping to get out of being here?

it offers much and only it can be what it is.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
7884874.jpg

Does CF fulfill? Only during times when I put in to it. You get only what you give type thing

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think it was because I was looking for some advice and fellowship

To keep up with some of my acquaintances/friends on here and a few other similar reasons.

It did. I became friends with a few really good people and have been blessed by their friendship but I don't post as much as I used to and often take breaks.

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
- For fellowship and discussion.

- Met some really great people here who I enjoy chatting with, and some of the forums are quite active (especially Singles :thumbsup:).

-
Yes sir; there are forums for nearly every topic imaginable, either related to Christianity or just in general. I also enjoy creating blogs or posting / sharing things I've learned over the years.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I joined because I was seeking a closer walk with Jesus. Due to work and the region I live in being very liberal, church options are nearly non-existent, so I sought out online forums to meet other Christians. I craved fellowship and wanted to feel like I was accepted and belonged.

I've been on a gun forum for 18 years and it has become increasingly worldly and hostile to Christians. I wanted to find a place where my beliefs were not attacked and mocked.

I was also fairly recently divorced and there were no alternatives locally to talk to Christian women and interact with them.

Has it fulfilled my expectations? Absolutely not. My faith has decreased since joining here. I've found that my traditional conservative American beliefs and values, which are based on Christianity, are mocked and attacked here constantly.

The most hateful and judgmental people I've ran across on the internet have been here. Not specifically in the Singles forum, but in the political and current events forums.

Almost every single person I've encountered has been age inappropriate and the only two or three I've discovered in my age range live 1500 miles away or more, so the possibility of actually forming a relationship based on internet interaction is about 2%.

Plus, I'm awful at conveying my real world personality, which is humble, funny, accepting, and pretty positive. I read my posts and think I come off as a grumpy old man who hates everyone. Not sure why that is.

So why do I keep coming back? No idea. There are some very sweet and caring people here that I enjoy seeing interact with each other. I know the singles forum is pretty accepting and non-judgmental so I can be pretty honest about things without fear of being ridiculed.

Sometimes you just need a place to vent and get positive feedback from.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I know threads like this have been made in the past, but it's always good for a fresh one to be made every now and then.

Your answers can be about CF in general or about Singles specifically. Just curious about everyone's thoughts.
Forums come naturally to me. I've been using forums since I was 13, discussing, debating, sharpening each other, etc. I found God as a teen but soon left Christianity for Judaism... or at least my version of it. I didn't come back to Christ till 2016... and when I did not too long after I came to these forums seeking discussions and fellowship. I started off debating and arguing with people in the other forums, until God brought me to Singles. As soon as I found Singles I found the old familiar spirit of Christian love I had as a teen before I left Christ for a season, and instantly connected with many here. I found the regulars here (and people who arent regular), some who have gone or don't post much anymore, loving, lighthearted, fun and (genuinely) funny while still being strong in their faith. I struggled with my faith my first year or so but I feel this forum actually helped with that, because the Light here was undeniable.

I come back because I still see that Light, I still sense God on the forum. I've made friends, I've got to know many members and cherish them. I aim to love them as Christ has taught, and just because it's a forum does not make that command any less applicable.

Singles has exceeded my expectations actually, it's blessed me in many ways. There have been some rough patches that have drained me at times, but it's worth it to stay through the drama for me personally.

I've also shared the gospel on the other forums and stood up for key doctrines to the gospel both on those forums and here, which I personally feel is a duty for someone to do when apropriate and tactifully done. So there's a sense of work here too.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I joined for the philosophical and theological discussions, and found that I enjoyed the singles forum more. I had to take a break, however, when the cons outweighed the pros for me, but I'm back.

What for? The fellowship. I'm not otherwise very active in Christian circles. Church can be awkward, if not hostile at times, toward single men. Especially, toward those of us who are more introverted and intellectual by nature. I also see Church as a primarily family-oriented activity. A better fit for couples and children. Not that I never go, but it's complicated. I prefer to go for music and quiet reflection. I grew up in a Christian home, and my relationship with God is personal, but I just don't have much in common with other relatively older Chrirstian singles in that environment. Online, there are more opportunities for me to learn and contribute in meaningful ways.

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟306,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Seemed like a good and well maintained site.

I've had a one, maybe two, good online conversations

I guess so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeachieKeen

Apr 24, 2017
Southwest
✟104,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I originally joined because I was a lonely person and wanted friends. Friends I could talk to with a little anonymity. Also, if I am totally honest, I knew several people who had met spouses on forums and I was hoping that a romance could come out of this too.

I come back because I'm still a lonely person and so I really appreciate the community I've found here. I also find the conversations had here to be a lot more fun than most real life discussions.

Lately it fulfills what I come here for- Christian community. There's been seasons where things were really negative for me here, but lately I've really loved being here and felt kinship with many members. I am sad I have to leave in a couple months.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know threads like this have been made in the past, but it's always good for a fresh one to be made every now and then.

I stumbled into the Creation/Evolution controversy and was looking for a well moderated impartial board. CF is the best I've ever seen.

I always seem to learn something, it's not easy to find a place where you can discuss politics and religion is a civil forum.

I've always thought there should be more Bible study, but unless you like reading a lot of essays a lot, they are hard to find online.

Your answers can be about CF in general or about Singles specifically. Just curious about everyone's thoughts.

An interesting topic.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Another thread I tried posting, but got deleted was.."Reasons Why You Would Leave CF?"
The powers that be said it would stir up too much dissension.
That's odd, I would think the moderators would be interested in following the thread.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's odd, I would think the moderators would be interested in following the thread.
Interested in following the thread for what purpose though? To seek feedback on how to possibly make CF a better Forum or have intentions to lock it? Lol
I think for the majority of mods, it's the latter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Interested in following the thread for what purpose though? To seek feedback on how to possibly make CF a better Forum or have intentions to lock it? Lol
I think for the majority of mods, it's the latter.
I guess they were just worried that it would stir up a lot of bad feelings. Hard to say but if it were me I'd just watch the thread until there was a real problem. They used to do a request for edit, to help posters cool down and revise their statements. The short time I was a moderator I did my thing most of the time with PMs, it usually worked like clockwork.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess they were just worried that it would stir up a lot of bad feelings. Hard to say but if it were me I'd just watch the thread until there was a real problem. They used to do a request for edit, to help posters cool down and revise their statements. The short time I was a moderator I did my thing most of the time with PMs, it usually worked like clockwork.
request for edit is really a good idea. a lot of sentiment can be misinterpreted in just text. that would have saved me a couple time-out bans in my past if i was offered that.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
request for edit is really a good idea. a lot of sentiment can be misinterpreted in just text. that would have saved me a couple time-out bans in my past if i was offered that.
I remember I got a warning for saying the investigations into Trump would only reveal that he was about as sentient as a toad stool. I was kidding and considered it to be a little satire but apparently someone took it wrong and hit the report button. I was actually just trying to say Trump was being played by the Russians and didn't realize it.

Yea I think request for edit was a pretty good way to cool things down. It kind of took the edge off of some of the more contentious debates. I remember a couple of guys were going at it in the history forum. I just did a mod hat warning and worked the whole thing out with PMs. Both of them made some really interesting points and it just got kind of heated. I always thought the follow up was more important then the actual action but that's just me.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember I got a warning for saying the investigations into Trump would only reveal that he was about as sentient as a toad stool. I was kidding and considered it to be a little satire but apparently someone took it wrong and hit the report button. I was actually just trying to say Trump was being played by the Russians and didn't realize it.

Yea I think request for edit was a pretty good way to cool things down. It kind of took the edge off of some of the more contentious debates. I remember a couple of guys were going at it in the history forum. I just did a mod hat warning and worked the whole thing out with PMs. Both of them made some really interesting points and it just got kind of heated. I always thought the follow up was more important then the actual action but that's just me.
that's usually what happens in the most heated debates anyway (from what i've seen and been privy to) it usually centers around two people with sharp disagreements with each other. i think the best mode for when that happens is requesting that the parties involved take their discussion to private messaging. that way, there is less likely someone from the outside to come in and get offended at something said. just my two cents..

Last edited:
Upvote 0