Really need advice about returning to Catholicism

Jun 23, 2013
Canada
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I have posted before about my leanings to return to Catholicism. I've been doing some reading and think this is what I want to do, but first, I need advice and answers to some questions!

MORTAL SIN: So I'm kind of freaked out about this. If I've committed mortal sins, and I die before confessing them to a priest, am I damned to Hell? What if I just confess them to God until I can get to confession? The only mortal sins I can think of is that I drove someone close to me to a bigger city so they could have an abortion (it was wrong and I wish instead I had counseled them to keep their baby but I was the only one they could rely on at the time), masturbation and viewing inappropriate contentography, and I think that's it. Yes I am not a "practicing" Catholic but I don't go about bashing the Church either -- in fact I am feeling called back to it.

If indeed it is true, and that one would be sent to hell if one did not confess MORTAL sins to a priest, can you show me Biblical or writings of the church fathers that support this? Thanks! And what about the Protestant denominations that say all sin is the same in God's eyes, and lying is just as bad as, say, murder? Is that in the Bible? And what about for people who are not Catholic?

SUICIDE: I have obsessive compulsive disorder, and at times when it goes unhandled it can result in anxiety and depression. Thankfully I have never actually felt suicidal, but I went through a period in my life after having my daughter where my OCD hit me hard and my scary, obsessive thought was that I might kill myself. Thank the LORD I have my OCD under control now through a lot of hard work with cognitive behavioural therapy and also medication (temporary). But I always am so saddened when I hear about suicide. If it's done for selfish reasons, such as to escape punishment or accountability, I can see them being sent to hell. But what if someone is truly mentally ill, so that they are not even accountable for their actions, and they kill themselves? How could they be sent to hell? Can you share me what the Church feels about this and where their belief comes from?

OTHER PEOPLE: What do Catholics believe about what happens to people of faiths other than Catholicism when they die? What about someone who lived an amazing life as, let's say, a Presbyterian? Are they going to go to Hell because they did not follow the Catholic Church? How about someone who was born and raised in India and who is Hindu, and although they are aware of Christianity never really understood it -- will they go to hell? Does that mean the Jews from the concentration camps died and after all that earthly suffering were condemned to hell to?

Please be honest with me as to what the official church stance is. I really am feeling called back to the church but I'm feeling quite confused about it. I need to find out the answers to these questions! I tried calling the RC church where I live to find out what time confession is to talk directly to a priest but no one answered. I will try again tomorrow. THANKS!:thumbsup:

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi everyone, I have posted before about my leanings to return to Catholicism. I've been doing some reading and think this is what I want to do, but first, I need advice and answers to some questions!
Welcome home! Ask any questions you like.
MORTAL SIN: So I'm kind of freaked out about this. If I've committed mortal sins, and I die before confessing them to a priest, am I damned to Hell? What if I just confess them to God until I can get to confession? The only mortal sins I can think of is that I drove someone close to me to a bigger city so they could have an abortion (it was wrong and I wish instead I had counseled them to keep their baby but I was the only one they could rely on at the time), masturbation and viewing inappropriate contentography, and I think that's it. Yes I am not a "practicing" Catholic but I don't go about bashing the Church either -- in fact I am feeling called back to it.
Being Catholic already (once Catholic, always Catholic), you could go to confession any time. Those things you mentioned are not things that are unusual for people to confess. But short of that, if you're sorry for your sins because you sincerely love God, not for fear of punishment, God knows your heart. Welcome to the sinners club, though!
If indeed it is true, and that one would be sent to hell if one did not confess MORTAL sins to a priest, can you show me Biblical or writings of the church fathers that support this? Thanks! And what about the Protestant denominations that say all sin is the same in God's eyes, and lying is just as bad as, say, murder? Is that in the Bible? And what about for people who are not Catholic?
Well, the Letters of St. James, somewhere says that not all sin is mortal. Confession to a priest, Jesus tells the apostles, who were the first priests "Whose sins you forgive are forgiven, whose sins you retain are retained." It's presumed that someone would be telling them the sins they committed.
SUICIDE: I have obsessive compulsive disorder, and at times when it goes unhandled it can result in anxiety and depression. Thankfully I have never actually felt suicidal, but I went through a period in my life after having my daughter where my OCD hit me hard and my scary, obsessive thought was that I might kill myself. Thank the LORD I have my OCD under control now through a lot of hard work with cognitive behavioural therapy and also medication (temporary). But I always am so saddened when I hear about suicide. If it's done for selfish reasons, such as to escape punishment or accountability, I can see them being sent to hell. But what if someone is truly mentally ill, so that they are not even accountable for their actions, and they kill themselves? How could they be sent to hell? Can you share me what the Church feels about this and where their belief comes from?
Mental defect is a reason why a sin might not be mortal.
OTHER PEOPLE: What do Catholics believe about what happens to people of faiths other than Catholicism when they die? What about someone who lived an amazing life as, let's say, a Presbyterian? Are they going to go to Hell because they did not follow the Catholic Church? How about someone who was born and raised in India and who is Hindu, and although they are aware of Christianity never really understood it -- will they go to hell? Does that mean the Jews from the concentration camps died and after all that earthly suffering were condemned to hell to?
We believe that there's only one Church, that anyone who's validly baptized is part of the one Church, though however imperfectly joined. Those who don't know Jesus are specially handled by God. God is merciful, never forget that.
Please be honest with me as to what the official church stance is. I really am feeling called back to the church but I'm feeling quite confused about it. I need to find out the answers to these questions! I tried calling the RC church where I live to find out what time confession is to talk directly to a priest but no one answered. I will try again tomorrow. THANKS!:thumbsup:

You can make an appointment with the Church Administrator any time, or go to daily Mass and talk to the priest afterward. Or most Parishes have Saturday confession times.

Perseverence is a wonderful thing! Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Upvote 0

catholicbybirth

St. Louis, pray for me.
Aug 11, 2012
Western Kentucky
✟17,029.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The only issue lacking in Root of Jesse's response is that if you die with a mortal sin on your sin, if you are not repentant, then you will be headed for hell. However, if you die with a mortal sin on your soul and you are repentant, decide to go to confession about it, but die before you get to do so, then you will not go to hell. However, if you just put off going to confession about it because you are too embarrassed, well, then you wouldn't have gone to confession and you would die with a mortal sin on your soul.

This is true of all.

Janice

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you die in a state of mortal sin then you will go to Hell. If you truly are sorry for having offended God and not just because you are afraid of Hell then make an Act of Perfect Contrition and God will forgive you. However, you still must go to Confession.

Here is the part in the Bible where it talks about mortal sin.

If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.
(1 John 5:16-17 RSV-CE)

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Those are all pretty big questions... abortion, you need to confess it and take it from there. generally speaking abortion needs to be confessed to the bishop and he is the one to give absolution however since you didn't have it yourself, I do not know.... the priest will let you know. As far as hell and you dyeing with this on your soul, only God knows your heart and judges you on your capabilities, your intentions and desires. He knows you better then you know you. he can figure us out better the Dr. Phil can... so He will judge you justly, meaning fairly with Mercy and it will be correct and perfect cuz he's God... so the thing to do is pray and trust in Him. Really trust in His fairness and mercy.. He looks for ways to save us, not damn us so when you turn to Him not wanting to go to hell, He is going to work with you, not spurn you.

Secondly, if you have a disorder or a mental illness, God knows this better then any shrink does... of course he judges ppl accordingly, with fairness and compassion. Not with anger or wrath.

and for the third question, the same thing, God judges us on what we know, not on what we do not know... He judges us on what is truly in our hearts. the only ppl, no matter the religion or lack there of, they go to hell only if that is what they want. We send ourselves to hell when we meet God, because we know that is where we belong because we do not want His love and Mercy... we teach sin is bad and don't do it because it is hatred of God acted out. If we do it knowing this, and we do it anyway with full intent, it deaden us to God and if it's kept up eventually we die inside and when we physically die, we meet God and still reject Him. We go to Hell because we know that is where we belong. He does not send us there as a sentence for our actions. We go because we got to the point where just do not love God.

We know the Catholic Church is truth, 100% and that truth saves because it's the direct path to knowing God as best as we can. So other religions and Christian faith all have some truth, some more then others and as long as you are open to God in your heart, He will lead you to the fullness of His truth. You do not have to be Catholic to be saved and by being Catholic, you have a lot more knowledge and so you will be held to a higher standard. He judges us on what we know, not on what we do not. Ignorance at times, can be bliss... but at the end of the day it's truly what is in our heart, our intentions and desires.

If you die with out ever getting the chance to confess all your sins to a priest, and that it was your intention to confess them, you are as good as confessed because that is your true intention and God knows that.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The only issue lacking in Root of Jesse's response is that if you die with a mortal sin on your sin, if you are not repentant, then you will be headed for hell. However, if you die with a mortal sin on your soul and you are repentant, decide to go to confession about it, but die before you get to do so, then you will not go to hell. However, if you just put off going to confession about it because you are too embarrassed, well, then you wouldn't have gone to confession and you would die with a mortal sin on your soul.

This is true of all.

Janice
Thanks. I meant to get there, but got side tracked. Amen, sister!

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟189,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

At this point, I think it's important for you to drop these concerns about ending up in hell, and merely ask God for forgiveness in all that you have done to offend him.

Next, the reason you're having feelings to return to the Catholic Church is because Jesus is calling you, and what you're feeling is the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

So, go to the source of faith, Jesus Christ. Surrender yourself to him, including all of your fears and concerns as you have expressed here.

He will heal you and the situations you're in, because of his great love for you.

You are being called to be one of his disciples. All that is left on your part, is to respond in prayer and reading of Scripture.

My prayers are with you in this.

God Bless
Jim

Upvote 0