United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Dwight Longenecker

I have hesitated to write or speak about the upcoming Synod on Synodality for several reasons. First, I really do try to be open minded and give projects and people the benefit of the doubt. The Synod on Synodality is proposed. Let’s not jump to conclusions. Let’s give it a fair hearing. Let’s try to be positive and open to the Holy Spirit.

So, with this in mind, Let’s affirm that the Holy Spirit is alive in the Church and that Christ promised that the Holy Spirit would lead us into all truth. Let’s also affirm that over the centuries the Christian faith has developed and adapted. St John Henry Newman outlined the principles by which we can accurately assess the development of Doctrine in his famous essay of that title. Let’s also affirm not only that doctrine does develop, but that it must develop and that it is often cultural and ecclesial circumstances that enable it to develop.

While we say “doctrine develops” it is more accurate to say that our understanding and perception of doctrine develops. The doctrine doesn’t change, but our understanding deepens and broadens. An example is “There is no salvation outside the church” This was once understood to mean “All non-Catholics are damned to hell”. We now understand that the Body of Christ is wider than the boundaries of the Roman Catholic Church. Those who have faith in Christ and are baptized may also share in the saving grace won by Christ’s redemption. They are also members of the Church although separated from full communion and therefore may also be saved. This does not negate the statement “No salvation outside the church” Instead it broadens and clarifies our understanding of the statement.

Might we expect similar clarifications from the synodal process? I don’t know. We’ll see what happens.

Despite my wait and see attitude about the synod on synodality I do have some basic misgivings. I apologize. I am, by nature and upbringing conservative. Therefore I am wary of change. I like old stuff. I value tradition. My misgivings about the synod are gut-level and I may be wrong about them, but those who are gung ho about the synod on synodality might do well to listen to these misgivings with the same open mindedness and willingness to give the benefit of the doubt that I am willing to give them.

Continued below.