Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2005
✟16,757.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I could use some prayer and/or insight right now. I used to be a public school teacher, but am now a stay-at-home mom and I work part-time. I have 3 kids in the public schools. Recently, I applied and interviewed for a teaching job at a wonderful Christian school nearby and my kids would get to go with me. I just found out that I did not get the job. I am absolutely heartbroken. I am sad that my kids will forever be stuck in the public schools and learn all sorts of ungodly things that we will have to un-teach at home. Homeschooling is not an option, nor is paying the tuition at a Christian school (I would have had a discount if I had gotten the job). Also, I feel like I can't go back to teaching public school, especially now with how ungodly they have become. But, I feel trapped because if I don't teach, what will I do with the kids in the summers, and what else can I do? I only have a teaching degree, nothing else, and nothing else has ever interested me. But, if I do go back to teaching, then I don't know what to do with my kids in the mornings because I'd have to be at work earlier than them. And I wouldn't get to see my son go to his first day of kindergarten because I'd have to at work at some other school.

Basically, I am back to where I was on graduation day....crying my eyes out asking God what the heck do I do with my life now. I am devestated, but mostly for my kids and the dream they have lost. They have always wanted to go to that Christian school.

Please pray for me and if the Lord lays anything on your heart, please share it with me.

God bless,

Pam

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That does suck, but look at it this way, if you got the job then some other Christian mother or father would be in your shoes right now.

These feelings will pass after some time and you'll be back to your normal self.

Your kids going to a public school just means you have to train them a little bit different.
One of the things you can do is put them through different drills according to the situations they will face in school.
For example kids can be mean and call other kids bad names or even bully them.
So you can have drills training them how to respond the proper way to those situations.
Talk to them about drugs and run them through drills on what to do if a situation pops up.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

I could use some prayer and/or insight right now. I used to be a public school teacher, but am now a stay-at-home mom and I work part-time. I have 3 kids in the public schools. Recently, I applied and interviewed for a teaching job at a wonderful Christian school nearby and my kids would get to go with me. I just found out that I did not get the job. I am absolutely heartbroken. I am sad that my kids will forever be stuck in the public schools and learn all sorts of ungodly things that we will have to un-teach at home. Homeschooling is not an option, nor is paying the tuition at a Christian school (I would have had a discount if I had gotten the job). Also, I feel like I can't go back to teaching public school, especially now with how ungodly they have become. But, I feel trapped because if I don't teach, what will I do with the kids in the summers, and what else can I do? I only have a teaching degree, nothing else, and nothing else has ever interested me. But, if I do go back to teaching, then I don't know what to do with my kids in the mornings because I'd have to be at work earlier than them. And I wouldn't get to see my son go to his first day of kindergarten because I'd have to at work at some other school.

Basically, I am back to where I was on graduation day....crying my eyes out asking God what the heck do I do with my life now. I am devestated, but mostly for my kids and the dream they have lost. They have always wanted to go to that Christian school.

Please pray for me and if the Lord lays anything on your heart, please share it with me.

God bless,

Pam

God has special plan for you, just He has not shown them to you yet. Be encouraged. He has not forgotten you or your needs or your desires. Work with what you have and trust on the Lord. He will not let you down.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a great need for tutoring - pays well also - you can stay at home and the kids can come to you.

When my children were to young to leave alone and to old to be in day care - I opened up a home day care - had 14 children enrolled - went about it legally and got licensed for the day care - loved it - was a school like setting - the kids loved it and the parents loved it also - pays well also.

Another thing you could do - when I had the day care - I had a special teacher come in once a week and give them a project and teach for the day and gave me a break and the kids loved something different - you could be that special teacher.

Praying for you.

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all,

God bless,

Pam

I know you are frustrated, and that is normal when things are not going our way. Normally, when things are falling apart ( particular God is allowing our comfort zone to be destructed ) we can almost go insane it seems. God seems to be allowing a lot of us out of comfort zones lately, but I promise you if he is, he is working a plan that is for your good and his ultimate glory..and you are going to have to learn to be steadfast, patient and long-suffering in the process..

Perhaps, where God wants you is exactly where you think you don't want to be and can't handle.."The Public Schools". That is where Christians need to be, we are not to avoid the 'world' ( we can't ) but allow God to USE us in the DARK and UNGODLY places and people. Maybe you will be ONE person who can make a difference at that school and help at least ONE child or even PARENT or TEACHER come to know the Lord, and change the course of their lives.

God is not going to leave you in a comfort zone of just being around Christians. You are the light of the world and your light needs to SHINE In darkness not in what is already lit up.

Not only that, God is GOD..Have you forgotten you serve the Almighty God of the universe who can change a situation on the drop of a dime? Have you forgotten that you serve the God of the universe who owns EVERYTHING on this earth and can change and move the heart of a man to give you favor in a millisecond IF it is his will for you? DO you not believe that God can not open a door for your kids to go into private school and you won't even have to pay for it? I have a friend with that exact story, no money for it, and guess what? They sent her a letter from the school she applied for and said, "We have a scholarship for her for an entire year"..She did not see that coming. Honey, God can make a way out of nothing. I can testify to that. I have not been employed in almost 3 years and God has provided for me through people who may not even have liked me..But, when God says, "IT IS DONE" it is done...Your enemies will become your footstool.:amen:

Rejoice because God is testing your faith, he is growing you up a bit more ni him and he is making a way in the wilderness...In the meantime, if he says nothing..then do nothing.........move only as the Spirit leads you and know that you are not alone..God has another plan from the one you may have had, and it is BETTER than yours.....He has not left you nor forsaken you sister.:)

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Having worked in a Christian school, I would not send my kids to one. Not saying they are all bad, but they may not be as great as what you picture in your mind. I send my children to a public traditional school, and I wouldn't change it for the world. As a matter of fact, I had to camp on the side of the road for a week to get them in, and I haven't regretted one minute of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

God bless,

Pam

I spent most of my school years in a private Christian school, blocked off in many ways from the world and let me say from first hand experience that I believe it was not the best thing for me.

My family wanted to shelter me from the world, but guess what....eventually I had to face the world and it was a rude awakening to say the least.

I know parents mean well when they seek to shelter their children, but I am not sure they are truly doing them any favors in the long run.

Of course there were benefits to going to a private Christian school, but looking back, I think I would have been better off in the public school because I would have had more of an opportunity to develop confidence, self reliance, and accountability for my decisions.

I would have tried harder, been challenged more and dreamed bigger.

I went to public school for nearly a year and got into all sorts of trouble despite my "Christian education". I eventually went back to private school, but I did not know what to do with my life when I graduated. I had no concept of what the real world was like or what I needed to do to be able to survive in it.

I was like the bird who never got pushed out of the nest and so I never learned to fly and I ended up at a tremendous disadvantage.

Now I am not saying this is the experience of normal private schoolers, but I do know that people who are sheltered from the world have tremendous more difficulty adjusting and functioning in the real world when they have to get out in it.

I ended up joining the Army and it changed my life even though I did not serve my full contract. It was the most difficult thing I had ever done, but it gave me the tools I needed to be able to function in life.

For me it was an education in real life that even though I absolutely hated the loss of freedom while I was in, I am tremendously grateful for now.

What you might believe is a loss, might just be a blessing in disguise.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know how much it hurts to not get a job that you thought you were perfectly suited to, and one that came with a lot of extra benifits.

I can only encourge you to trust God, and to trust that He is in charge.

I had a friend who had a part-time teaching job, with benefits and when a full-time job came up in his school, he thught he ws a shoe-in. But no - they hired some reetive of a schoolboard member. So when a second job came up, he not only applied, he lobbied school board members, had glowing testemonials from parents of students and did everything he could. He still didn't get the job. GRRR!!! Yiu know exactly how he felt.

Fast forward three months... and a number of building projects in the community had not been completed and there wasn't nearly as much growth in numbers as the board had anticipated, so, thye let go of the two newest full-time teachers while his position was safe. God can see into the future and around corners and knows what is best.

Sometimes it is hard to trust - does He really understand my situation? But, for me, it is far more upsetting to think that God is not in charge, that everything happens because He wills it or allows it. For some reason, that job was not what God wanted for you at this time. Talk it over with Him.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,313.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I spent most of my school years in a private Christian school, blocked off in many ways from the world and let me say from first hand experience that I believe it was not the best thing for me.

My family wanted to shelter me from the world, but guess what....eventually I had to face the world and it was a rude awakening to say the least.

I know parents mean well when they seek to shelter their children, but I am not sure they are truly doing them any favors in the long run.

Of course there were benefits to going to a private Christian school, but looking back, I think I would have been better off in the public school because I would have had more of an opportunity to develop confidence, self reliance, and accountability for my decisions.

I would have tried harder, been challenged more and dreamed bigger.

I went to public school for nearly a year and got into all sorts of trouble despite my "Christian education". I eventually went back to private school, but I did not know what to do with my life when I graduated. I had no concept of what the real world was like or what I needed to do to be able to survive in it.

I was like the bird who never got pushed out of the nest and so I never learned to fly and I ended up at a tremendous disadvantage.

Now I am not saying this is the experience of normal private schoolers, but I do know that people who are sheltered from the world have tremendous more difficulty adjusting and functioning in the real world when they have to get out in it.

I ended up joining the Army and it changed my life even though I did not serve my full contract. It was the most difficult thing I had ever done, but it gave me the tools I needed to be able to function in life.

For me it was an education in real life that even though I absolutely hated the loss of freedom while I was in, I am tremendously grateful for now.

What you might believe is a loss, might just be a blessing in disguise.
I disagree Twiggi. For me the way public schools squash and ridicule actual thought instilled a fear of education that has set me back decades. It turns out I'm not nearly as stupid as the indoctrination center wanted me to believe.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree Twiggi. For me the way public schools squash and ridicule actual thought instilled a fear of education that has set me back decades. It turns out I'm not nearly as stupid as the indoctrination center wanted me to believe.
I am not suprised that there are different points of view. I am sure its different for different people and it also depends on the public and private school.

It's not really a black and white issue, but rather something that should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

I know some really good public schools and some really bad ones. I also so know of one private Christian school imparticular that has a particularly bad reputation because every time children have problems the parents would put them in this school so you would end up with a school full of trouble makers. That was back when I was in school though...things are far worse now than they were back then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not suprised that there are different points of view. I am sure its different for different people and it also depends on the public and private school.

It's not really a black and white issue, but rather something that should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

I know some really good public schools and some really bad ones. I also so know of one private Christian school imparticular that has a particularly bad reputation because every time children have problems the parents would put them in this school so you would end up with a school full of trouble makers. That was back when I was in school though...things are far worse now than they were back then.

It also depends on the school. The high school I went too had fights every day, a race riot in '91,guns and drugs and violence all the time.

It was not always easy to learn in that environment.

When it came to my faith I felt very lonely. I only knew of a few Christians in that school of 1000.

I would of LOVED to have gone to a private school but I grew up poor so...

And to the OP, I feel ya. I've been looking for a job for a year now and still nothing. Been one of the worst years of my life.

Upvote 0

Redheadedstepchild

Child of God
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
2 weeks from everywhere
✟69,214.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
I'm a public school teacher and I do get very frustrated with some of the politics. I'm fortunate though that our principal is a Christian and leads accordingly. But that's not the reason for this post.
One of the best things about working in the public school has been the ability to bring my son to work with me. I get to have personal relationships with his teachers and enjoy a level of involvement in his education that other parents just aren't able to have. I'm aware of what goes on and what's being taught. I can advocate for him if needed and get to witness his progress first hand. It's been a wonderful opportunity that I wouldn't trade for anything.
I really do respect your feelings about public schools but there are benefits if you can find the right situation.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2005
✟16,757.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much everyone! I am so thankful for all of your encouragement and help. I am still very sad and frustrated, but I guess God has a different plan for me and for my kids. I would love it if they could go to school with me, but they are in elementary school and I am certified for the secondary level. Plus, I am not sure that I could get hired in their district, since they often require a master's, which I have no plans to get at this time. I guess I will just kind of be in waiting mode for a while to see what God wants me to do. I do not want to homeschool my kids because we are going to need another full-time income and also because I do not have the patience for it. Also, when it comes to certain subjects like science and math, I definitely should not be teaching them!! I can't even begin to understand physics or chemistry! Plus, my husband is a middle school principal in the public schools and he would never allow homeschooling....he's seen too many families do it wrong and the kids end up totally unable to interact with other kids. I know many families do it right, but I really believe you have to be called by God to homeschool, and I am just not.

I appreciate everything you all have shared with me. Thank you so very much.

Pam

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.