• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. I just wanted to share something my fiance' came up with. She is a jewelry designer and has a shop with her daughter. They asked if I had an outlet for some of their items and I told them I would share it with everyone here at CF. So I started them an Etsy Shop account to showcase what they have done. And this is the first items! Check it out and let me know what you think!

Thanks so much! - Rex

Click here to see it!

Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together

Discussion in 'Questions From Singles About Marriage' started by Bella Vita, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LinkH

LinkH Regular Member

+643
    Christian
    Married
    I haven't heard this bit of Driscoll's teaching. I've only seen a number of clips of Q&A and other teachings on YouTube. I'd agree with you that if a pastor wants to encourage not kissing, etc. he should say he is discouraging it, and not teach it as commands.

But it seems like you have invented your own personal definition of 'Pharisee.' That is not how the term is used in the Bible, and the Pharisees of Jesus' day probably would not have had Driscoll as a part of their group, either.

The Bible does say, "It is good for a man not to touch a woman." That shows up in a passage about sex, but in Judaism some segments have taken it quite literally for quite a long time.

Btw, Paul said he was a Pharisee after his conversion, as were several other people in the church.

I am not familiar with the sermon. But it seems like you throw the word 'cult' around a bit too freely. If you were a bit more moderate and specific in your criticisms instead of name-calling like you did in the previous post, your criticisms might seem a bit more credible.

I don't know enough about his ministry or church to comment. He had some good things to say in the clips I saw.

I don't see how preachers can argue that it is sin for women to work outside the home considering Psalm 31.

I'm not familiar with the sermon you are talking about. It does seem this is very personal for you. I have played a few online strategy games myself. It can be an addiction, or it can be an occasional thing.

A branch off the Pietist movement? That is a very Lutheran-centric way of interpreting things.

2. LinkH

LinkH Regular Member

+643
    Christian
    Married
    Do you have any evidence for the idea that people who don't kiss or fornicate before marriage have more intimacy issues than couples who do kiss but do not fornicate before marriage? It seems really unlikely to me. There have been numerous arranged marriages without premarital kissing throughout history that did not end in divorce.

Even if Driscol goes too far with his advice on showing affection, why would abstaining from this type of affection before marriage hurt it afterward?

3. LinkH

LinkH Regular Member

+643
    Christian
    Married
    The quotes about Driscoll not listening to the elders sounded pretty incriminating. But this article doesn't seem to back up what you are saying.

The article you cite does not prove that he blamed Ted Haggard's wife. The quote was,
    ""It is not uncommon to meet pastors' wives who really let themselves go," Driscoll wrote on a personal blog. "A wife who lets herself go and is not sexually available to her husband ... is not responsible for her husband's sin, but she may not be helping him either.""

The quote did not say anything about Ted Haggard's wife, and the article did not say that it did. Did you read the actual original blog post?

4. sdmsanjose

sdmsanjose Regular Member

+355
    Christian
    Married

Luther

I guess you just don’t get it. I have not been addressing Mark’s videos or his position on Ultimate fighting or sex; yet you keep bringing up those subjects in response to my posts.

Maybe Mark is is bad as you claim on those subjects I just do not know and have not addressed any of those topics, so why do you keep posting those topics that do not relate to my posts?

Someone said on another post to you t that you are taking Mrak’s ministry very personal. I think you maybe overreacting a bit. One of the reasons that I think that is what you have said about Mark in this thread

Quotes of Luther:

Driscoll is a purity Pharisee

I'm also not a fan of those who call themselves brothers but are power hungry, will not take criticism, and have no humility what so ever. Driscoll fits all 3 of these as well

Also Driscoll is a flat out liar.

The man is a complete fraud if you ask me

maybe the faith would have been better off if hypermasculine, posturing, poorly trained, egotistical, and unqualified preachers like him didn't preach it would be for the best.

Luther, saying those things about a brother, even if he is off base on some topics, does not sound very Christian like and you sound a little bitter and resentful.

5. Autumnleaf

Autumnleaf Legend

+940
    Charismatic
    Married
    Christ called people out when they weren't walking the walk.

As for the truth about sex, friendship and married life together...

What Does Admiral Ackbar Say?, Pt. 2 - YouTube

6. sdmsanjose

sdmsanjose Regular Member

+355
    Christian
    Married
    Luther is not Christ

7. dobieman0488

dobieman0488 Member

+22
    Non-Denom
    Single
    driscoll has said things that are stupid, but has matured and had gotten better, and for the most part, he's a fantastic, biblically accurate preacher. to compare him to a false teacher like Pat Robertson is insane

8. JanniGirl

JanniGirl Well-Known Member

+143
    Christian
    Married
    Have you read the book? -- Insane.

Extra-Biblical ideology centered around Mark's ego.

9. Luther073082

Luther073082 κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον

+759
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others

Perhaps I could be off on the purity pharisee but the other statements are true.

Driscoll is power hungry, will not take critcism, and has no humility. He singlehandedly excommunicated 2 elders who where critical of his plans to center the church's power in himself.

Driscoll is a liar. . . Driscoll repeatedly claims that Martin Luther agreed with his theology but anyone who's done any in depth study of Luther shows otherwise.

The man is fraud . . . Any pastor who often speaks without thinking and calls other people's hobbies stupid while admitting to enjoying ultimate fighting, AND kicks people out of the church for being critical of his plans to concentrate power in himself is a FRAUD of a preacher.

The faith would be better off without him. I certainly think so. His actions push 10 people away for every 1 it brings in.

10. LinkH

LinkH Regular Member

+643
    Christian
    Married
    You'd have to provide some context for this quote. It would be pretty stupid for anyone to agree with 100% of Luther's theology. He probably had something specific in mind. If you studied enough, you'd probably find something Luther said that you disagreed with, unless you consider his writings to be holy scripture.

11. Autumnleaf

Autumnleaf Legend

+940
    Charismatic
    Married
    Aside from his advice in dealing with Jews, I'd say Martin Luther was a pretty solid guy.

12. Luther073082

+759
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    From Wikipedia

And for the record I can't think of anything that I disagree with Luther on theologically speaking. (That is when Luther finalized his theology. You can find some writings back when he was a Catholic monk that where obviously in support of the Roman Catholic Positions.) And I have studied fairly throughly.

Now Luther especially late in his life had some extreme political positions which I can't agree with.

13. LinkH

LinkH Regular Member

+643
    Christian
    Married
    I did have in mind the face that his views, like everyone else's change over time.

Some of those political position were entwined with his theology, like his position on the Jews.

Do you know the context of the Driscoll quote?

Btw, it reminds me of the Marx quote, "I am not a Marxist."

14. Bella Vita

Bella Vita Sailor in the U.S.N

+87
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican

You do know that oral sex is in scripture right? It is ok for a husband and wife to have oral sex and is talked about in Song Of Songs. No couples don't have to do it if they don't want to but there is nothing wrong with it if they do want to.

15. LinkH

LinkH Regular Member

+643
    Christian
    Married

I don't find the argument for this convincing. Arabic may have used the word for 'naval' as a euphemism for a certain part of the female anatomy, but that doesn't prove that a Hebrew cognate word would be used in the same way.

16. Luther073082

+759
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Well according to that quote. . . women have to do it, even if they don't want to. And they are sinning if they don't.

17. k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe Senior Member

+106
    Christian
    Married
    Oh man, I don't like it when juice goes through my nose :(. And my keyboard needs to now be cleaned...

Thanks for the laugh, though:D

18. k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe Senior Member

+106
    Christian
    Married
    Awesome post!

19. Bella Vita

Bella Vita Sailor in the U.S.N

+87
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    He isn't saying they are sinning if they won't so that. he is saying that there is certain respect in pleasing your spouse sexually and to with hold or not do that for a spouse is wrong. The couple needs to have conversations about it they need to know why they don't want to what the fears are ect. and if it is a logical thing then no the husband shouldn't force her. But if she is just not pleasing her husband because they got ina fight or because she doesn't feel like it that is wrong and vice versa. spouses should not withhold sex from one another it is a sin to do so without valid reason.

20. Redheadedstepchild

Redheadedstepchild Child of God Supporter

+1,393
    Methodist
    US-Others
    Mod hat

Thread is closed for review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.