St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Oligarchy is a form of government. There cannot exist such a thing as is no such thing as a non- government government.
Which is, I suppose, a way of saying that only governments can have power to affect your life. But even if that were true, it would not rule out the possibility of a small group of individuals routinely subverting the political process to affect your life through government.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Here in the US we tend to lump republicans and conservatives in the same group. I consider myself a conservative but not a republican. My overall philosophy of conservatism can be summed up as "Allowing maximum freedom while protecting everyone's rights".

Ideally in my opinion a conservative based government should have these characteristics:
Some form of representative government where people vote for leaders and policies.
Government has no preferred religion.
Government has no media outlet of their own.
Some form of court system that impartially decides disputes based on the law and enacted rights.
Should be able to tax the people but only to provide for protection from other countries/organizations and to protect and provide for the citizens rights.
Taxes should be billed not automatically taken from someone's paycheck.
Environmental policy where it balances citizens rights and environmental issues.
Should have a basic healthcare system that is voluntary and provides healthcare for everyone if they want to join.
Term limits for all offices.

Rights are agreed upon by the people who control the government in some representative way. Freedoms and Rights are not absolute. Freedom and rights can be practiced until it is in conflict with another persons freedoms or rights.

Proposed rights are (in no particular order):
Right to life.
Right to practice any religion.
Right to move freely throughout the country without explanation.
Right to protect yourself from harm as well as own weapons to do so.
Right to a trial and due process.
Right to address accusers in person.
Right to fair punishments for crimes.
Right to not be executed or aborted for any reason (right to life)
Right to marry anyone you desire.
Right to a lawyer.
Right to privacy.
Right to free speech.
Right to basic healthcare.
Right to basic clothing housing and food.
Right to own property and possessions without government taking it for public or its own use.
Right to unauthorized searches and seizures.
Right to basic education.
Right to affordable higher education.

This is not meant as an exhaustive list of how a conservative government should be run or what rights we should have. There may even be contradictory things here. It is meant for discussion. Again my overall philosophy of conservatism is to maximize freedom while protecting everyone's rights.

When you say right to health care, food, housing, and higher education; are you saying if you cannot afford those things they should be provided for to you for free?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
When you say right to health care, food, housing, and higher education; are you saying if you cannot afford those things they should be provided for to you for free?
There is certainly an argument to be made. Take health care, for instance: is it a commodity that the rich deserve more and better of than the poor? Or should it be like infrastructure which is available to all equally?

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is certainly an argument to be made. Take health care, for instance: is it a commodity that the rich deserve more and better of than the poor? Or should it be like infrastructure which is available to all equally?
Like housing, education, and food, if you can afford better, you should be able to purchase better.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Like housing, education, and food, if you can afford better, you should be able to purchase better.
Since we are merely outlining the problem, I won't ask you for an argument supporting that position quite yet.

The next consideration is, should there be a floor to it? A minimum level of healthcare available to all?

The same question applies to those other commodities (as you think of them)?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Since we are merely outlining the problem, I won't ask you for an argument supporting that position quite yet.

The next consideration is, should there be a floor to it? A minimum level of healthcare available to all?

The same question applies to those other commodities (as you think of them)?

IMO I guess it depends on which one you are referring to, and the details involved.

*Food. Are you spending your money on unnecessary things thus cannot afford food? Or are you homeless, without income, and eat what is provided by food banks and homeless shelters?
I think most conservatives like the idea of a safety net for those who are really in need

*Housing. I don’t think most conservatives believe anybody should be given a house simply because they can’t afford one; I think they prefer the idea of homeless shelters for those who can’t afford housing.

*College. I don’t think most conservatives believe anybody has a moral right to a free college education.

*Health care. What is meant by health care? Does this mean you get your own doctor and dentist, along with a medical checkup every 6-12 months, or does it mean when you get into an emergency medical situation, there is a fund in place to get you the basic necessities?
I think most conservatives would prefer the latter rather than the former.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
IMO I guess it depends on which one you are referring to, and the details involved.
Right, and we are not necessarily talking about binary "all or nothing" options, either.

*Food. Are you spending your money on unnecessary things thus cannot afford food? Or are you homeless, without income, and eat what is provided by food banks and homeless shelters?
I think most conservatives like the idea of a safety net for those who are really in need
Who's to say what is unnecessary? But there are other approaches as well. For example, our local ESL program has a class which teaches how to make nutritious meals out of US grocery store commodities which may be unfamiliar to new immigrants--the notion being that how to eat nutritiously on little money is not something the poor already know and just blow off.

*Housing. I don’t think most conservatives believe anybody should be given a house simply because they can’t afford one; I think they prefer the idea of homeless shelters for those who can’t afford housing.
I don't think anybody is seriously proposing giving away houses, but what do you think about low-cost housing or rental assistance? Given the number of homeless people who are employed and even have families, relegating them all to homeless shelters seems a little harsh.
*College. I don’t think most conservatives believe anybody has a moral right to a free college education.
But there is an element of self-interest to be considered. The state of US workforce training is abysmal and a serous limitation on labor productivity, which affects us all.

*Health care. What is meant by health care? Does this mean you get your own doctor and dentist, along with a medical checkup every 6-12 months, or does it mean when you get into an emergency medical situation, there is a fund in place to get you the basic necessities?
I think most conservatives would prefer the latter rather than the former.
Yes, the poor can always go the the emergency room. But the emergency room is not set up to provide the kind of routine care which often prevents illnesses from becoming serous medical emergencies and there are services which they don't provide, like vision and dental care. It's just not cost-effective but we all wind up paying for it anyway

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Who's to say what is unnecessary?
The person (or entity) that is giving you free stuff decides what is unnecessary.
I don't think anybody is seriously proposing giving away houses, but what do you think about low-cost housing or rental assistance? Given the number of homeless people who are employed and even have families, relegating them all to homeless shelters seems a little harsh.
Personally I think programs in place like section 8 are necessary for those who need it.
But there is an element of self-interest to be considered. The state of US workforce training is abysmal and a serous limitation on labor productivity, which affects us all.
Whether an argument can be made that free college is a good idea or not, I don’t think it should be considered a moral or legal right.
Yes, the poor can always go the the emergency room. But the emergency room is not set up to provide the kind of routine care which often prevents illnesses from becoming serous medical emergencies and there are services which they don't provide, like vision and dental care. It's just not cost-effective but we all wind up paying for it anyway
Again; should not be considered a moral or legal right.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The person (or entity) that is giving you free stuff decides what is unnecessary.

Personally I think programs in place like section 8 are necessary for those who need it.
What's a section 8 program?

Whether an argument can be made that free college is a good idea or not, I don’t think it should be considered a moral or legal right.

Again; should not be considered a moral or legal right.
I'm not sure how "moral" comes into it exactly. Large numbers of dead and dying poor people piling up would be a nuisance. Lots of unhireable poor people wandering around with nothing to do are a nuisance, too, especially when there are unfilled jobs requiring training..

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What's a section 8 program?
Section 8 is a government system that pays a percentage of your rent.
I'm not sure how "moral" comes into it exactly.
Moral right or legal right? What other kinds of rights are there?
Large numbers of dead and dying poor people piling up would be a nuisance.
True. Like I said; medical emergencies should be taken care of
Lots of unhireable poor people wandering around with nothing to do are a nuisance, too, especially when there are unfilled jobs requiring training..
Free college ain’t gonna fix that IMO; of anything it might make it worse because people would be getting useless degrees that doesn’t lead to employment because they are free, and the colleges will increase the cost of getting these useless degrees because the Government will guarantee payment. They say when the Government (freddie mac & fannie mae) got involved in college tuition is when the cost of college really got out of control. The conservative view is usually that private enterprise and private charities usually do better than Government involvement, when the government gets involved, things more often than not get worse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
True. Like I said; medical emergencies should be taken care of
Poor people who get an illness which might have been prevented by regular check-ups or easily cured by them have to wait until the situation becomes life-threatening and they go to the emergency room--all at greater cost to the rest of us than the check-ups would have been. And poor people with chronic conditions can go to the devil. Why? What's the point?

Free college ain’t gonna fix that IMO; of anything it might make it worse because people would be getting useless degrees that doesn’t lead to employment because they are free, and the colleges will increase the cost of getting these useless degrees because the Government will guarantee payment. They say when the Government (freddie mac & fannie mae) got involved in college tuition is when the cost of college really got out of control. The conservative view is usually that private enterprise and private charities usually do better than Government involvement, when the government gets involved, things more often than not get worse.
OK, I see--you're arguing against a stereotype of what "going to college" means.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Notice I said right to basic health care, basic food and basic housing. I do think all of these should be provided by our society for those that cannot afford it. Do you?

I also said affordable higher education, not free higher education. What affordable means can be debated. I think in most states the in state tuition is reasonable and affordable. So I think that most people have an affordable higher education option today. I also think that as a society we need to push trade schools just as hard as we do college. We need trade jobs in this country badly and many of them pay really well.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I also think that as a society we need to push trade schools just as hard as we do college. We need trade jobs in this country badly and many of them pay really well.

Agreed!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Notice I said right to basic health care, basic food and basic housing. I do think all of these should be provided by our society for those that cannot afford it. Do you?
And, by and large, they ARE being taken care of now.

Does anyone imagine that the dozens of gang-bangers and drive-by shooters who are taken to hospital each weekend on account of their wounds pay a bill for services that arrives in the mail a month later?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Does anyone imagine that the dozens of gang-bangers and drive-by shooters who are taken to hospital each weekend on account of their wounds pay a bill for services that arrives in the mail a month later?
They do not, and that's a sad commentary on the way we deliver health care to the poor by emergency room.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No they are not. There are many people that are homeless and don't want to be. Many people that do not get routine checkups because they cannot afford to etc. We are not doing a good job of this. If someone of sound mind chooses to be homeless then so be it. Many do have mental issues or do not want to be homeless.

Does anyone imagine that the dozens of gang-bangers and drive-by shooters who are taken to hospital each week on account of their wounds pay a bill for services that arrives in the mail a month later?
Illegal activity is a different subject.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not certain that a decent college education can be had at an affordable rate anymore. Perhaps in a few places, if the person searches really diligently.

But this turn of events is an object lesson we should take to heart before applauding further intrusion into education by the federal government. It was the federal government, after all, which made higher education, even at one's local and state-supported university, unaffordable for all but the very rich.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No they are not. There are many people that are homeless and don't want to be.
It was the "basic health care" part of that statement to which I was responding. I thought the reply made that obvious, but I guess that I should have been more explicit.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm not certain that a decent college education can be had at an affordable rate anymore. Perhaps in a few places, if the person searches really diligently.

But this turn of events is an object lesson we should take to heart before applauding further intrusion into education by the federal government. It was the federal government, after all, which made higher education, even at one's local and state-supported university, unaffordable for all but the very rich.
So your position is that if federal aid and federally secured student loans were removed from the equation, the cost of post-secondary education would decline. Why would that happen? More importantly, how would you address the problem we face with an inadequately trained workforce?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So your position is that if federal aid and federally secured student loans were removed from the equation, the cost of post-secondary education would decline.
I'm not sure that the genie can be put back into the bottle that easily. However, it is undeniable that the federal government caused the problem in the first place.

And now we have irresponsible politicians claiming that the same federal government should or will pick up the tab for students and former students who are in default with their payments (but not those who sacrificed in order to pay off their debts). Yeh, that would be a great solution! :doh:

Upvote 0