✟8,376.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello!
I have a lot of questions, but one has been really bugging at me lately.
My friend told me that I should take my time reading the Bible(due to the fact that it is my very first time reading it), and while I understand that she is just looking out for me, I just feel like I want to know His word, I want to know all of it and read it over and over again. I want to know my Bible inside and out.

Am I being too rash and impatient? Should I take her advice and really take my time with it?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!
My friend told me that I should take my time reading the Bible(due to the fact that it is my very first time reading it), and while I understand that she is just looking out for me, I just feel like I want to know His word, I want to know all of it and read it over and over again. I want to know my Bible inside and out.

Am I being too rash and impatient? Should I take her advice and really take my time with it?

Well, when I say "take your time" I mean to not be so determined to always finish a chapter so that I might skim over things Christ said in the gospels for example, but to really listen, and sometimes that means I have to stop reading, and just think on what He said, because I am so full at that moment. And so when I meant to read a chapter, I ended up some days only reading a few verses!

I might on some days be only able to read a verse or 3, because of how deep they were. On another part somewhere else, I might be able to read several chapters. It is just different each time. I also found that even after I had read a gospel, feeling I had understood many good things, that later when I read that same gospel again, I learned more, and deeper, and this is such a wonderful thing, because His words are living. Hallelujah! I feel so happy you want to read through! This is the good way to hear Him. As He said "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tessica

Feb 15, 2018
Ontario
✟8,376.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, when I say "take your time" I mean to not be so determined to always finish a chapter so that I might skim over things Christ said in the gospels for example, but to really listen, and sometimes that means I have to stop reading, and just think on what He said, because I am so full at that moment. And so when I meant to read a chapter, I ended up some days only reading a few verses!

I might on some days be only able to read a verse or 3, because of how deep they were. On another part somewhere else, I might be able to read several chapters. It is just different each time. I also found that even after I had read a gospel, feeling I had understood many good things, that later when I read that same gospel again, I learned more, and deeper, and this is such a wonderful thing, becuase His words are living in that way. Hallelujah! I feel so happy you want to read through! This is the good way to hear Him. As He said "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

This is EXACTLY how I feel! I am so in love with His word that I sometimes sleep with my Bible next to me, I read more every chance I get! I'm so thankful that someone feels the same way I do! Praise God for bringing me to a place with such like-minded people!

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would suggest you read the Bible at your own rate. Read it through once to get a general idea of what the whole thing says, of what each book of the Bible says. Then read it through again more carefully.
Once you have read it through a number of times, your main reason to read it should not be to see what it says, but to listen to what God is saying to you through it as you are reading it each day, and to respond back to Him in prayer and obedience. Sure, we don't catch everything, ever, so we are always going to read it to see what it says about something, but don't just read for information, but for fellowship with God, and self-transformation.

Upvote 0

CallofChrist

Site Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would suggest you read the Bible at your own rate. Read it through once to get a general idea of what the whole thing says, of what each book of the Bible says. Then read it through again more carefully.
Once you have read it through a number of times, your main reason to read it should not be to see what it says, but to listen to what God is saying to you through it as you are reading it each day, and to respond back to Him in prayer and obedience. Sure, we don't catch everything, ever, so we are always going to read it to see what it says about something, but don't just read for information, but for fellowship with God, and self-transformation.

I think reading through at your own rate is an excellent idea. Reading the Bible through for overview is very helpful, then one can read it through again or focus on certain subjects, books, etc. It is really what works best for you and is getting the message of scripture into your heart in a holistic way :)

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would suggest to not just read it by yourself, but also get familiar with proper exegesis done by others.
And that's simply because we, here and now, are usually not familiar with the context (what did the writer intend for his audience back then) of most of the Bible content.

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Depends on your retention level. If you can read a book a day and remember all of it, go for it. If not then slow down and match what you are reading to how much you are remembering.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you want to know it, don't breeze through it. You can expect to find things that you don't understand, there are some things in there that lead us to questions that will not be definitively answered until Christ returns. But yeah, take your time to read it, maybe no more than a chapter a night. Pay attention in church. And keep reading. You'll get through it. I read the whole New Testament as a child. I don't remember how long it took me to do it, but I did it, and the fact that there was still more ahead was part of what motivated me to keep reading the next night. If a child can do it, you can do it.

Reactions: Tessica
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

(Isaiah 55 NIV)
one of the most amazing and wonderful chapters in all the old testament.

Christ Jesus told us about the words He spoke here in person --
35 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

When we read what He said in the 4 gospels, we are actually reading words that will last forever!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

(Isaiah 55 NIV)
one of the most amazing and wonderful chapters in all the old testament.

Christ Jesus told us about the words He spoke here in person --
35 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

When we read what He said in the 4 gospels, we are actually reading words that will last forever!
Great verse there; I love the comparison with the effect of the rain and snow, which water the earth and have their inevitable effect.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Yes, we should not be in a hurry as we read the Bible, and I have found that one should start by getting "the big picture" first; and that is knowing the essentials which is Redemption truth. We must be "born again" to have ANY part in God (John 3). Our primary need is the Gospel, and that is found in the first four Books of the New Testament.

If one looks at what the Apostle John wrote in John 1; John 3; John 14, one will see a brief overview of the Gospel message (note John 14:6). The first place I ever read in the Bible back in 1953 was John 14 (my KJV Bible) when I just flipped open my Bible. I saw what God was saying was to me. I recommend one get clear about salvation, and then begin a study of all the New Testament, which is God's Word for souls today.

If one is serious about knowing God and His ways, a daily reading of the New Testament by each chapter will be very good; then when one can see the new life in Jesus, the Christ of God and thus come to know Him personally, the reader can begin reading once a week also in the Old Testament to learn about God's creation, history, and God's dealings with His covenant people of Israel. After the Gospel message of salvation, one should begin learning about Church truth and Spiritual life in Acts and the Epistles.

As one has said: "a seeking sinner and a seeking Savior will always meet". That is very true!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Absolutely not, and please read the Gospels first and foremost!

Your friend should be ignored, especially as you have the inspiration to do this.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Seems best to read at your own comfortable speed.
Some people are a little (too controlling.)
I know -- with God's help -- I'm working on it.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as I know there's no law saying you can only read it once. If you feel compelled to read through it at a good pace now, there's no reason you can't pick it apart the next time through.

And I agree with the poster above who said to start with the Gospels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dustin B.

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2018
Dundalk
✟25,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello!

Hi Tessica! The way I was raised, BIBLE is an acronym, Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. With that said, your friend is correct in advising you to take your time to read the Bible. There are 66 books in the bible, so a lot of information to take in. In reading God's Word, read it in little bits and pieces at one time, rather than if it were like a novel, where "you can't put it down and can't wait to get to the end." And before you read the good Word of God, you'll want to pray and ask God to give you the understanding so you can fully grasp the true meaning of each passage. I've been studying the bible basically my whole life from when I first learned to read, and I'm STILL learning new things to this day. I hope that through this forum, we all can learn and grow together. God bless you!

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would recommend getting an Audio Bible MP3 and just importing it into iTunes so you can just listen to The Bible. It helps you get through large portions of Scripture that would normally require hours of reading. You can listen to it while driving:

NKJV New King James Version Audio Bible for MP3 & iPod, Voice Only

NKJV_Bible_MP3_5__21979.1453058307.400.400.jpg

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is EXACTLY how I feel! I am so in love with His word that I sometimes sleep with my Bible next to me, I read more every chance I get! I'm so thankful that someone feels the same way I do! Praise God for bringing me to a place with such like-minded people!
Great to have a desire to feed on God's Word! :)

Psalm 119.105.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Tessica

"Father of Mercies, in Thy Word"

by Anne Steele, 1716-1778

1. Father of mercies, in Thy Word
What endless glory shines!
Forever be Thy name adored
For these celestial lines.

2. Here may the blind and hungry come
And light and food receive;
Here shall the lowliest guest have room
And taste and see and live.

3. Here springs of consolation rise
To cheer the fainting mind,
And thirsting souls receive supplies
And sweet refreshment find.

4. Here the Redeemer's welcome voice
Spreads heavenly peace around,
And life and everlasting joys
Attend the blissful sound.

5. Oh, may these heavenly pages be
My ever dear delight;
And still new beauties may I see
And still increasing light!

6. Divine Instructor, gracious Lord,
Be Thou forever near;
Teach me to love Thy sacred Word
And view my Savior here.

The Lutheran Hymnal
Hymn #284
Text: Ps. 119:127
Author: Anne Steele, 1760, cento
Tune: "Bedford"
Composer: William Wheall, 1729

• Prayers
Upvote 0