LDS Read the Book of Mormon?

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
No, because the scripture you use is not His.
I'm talking about the *how*. *How* we know Truth (aka epistemology) is foundational to theology.

Do you think we are similar in the *how* we know Truth?

Again, here's my answer:
My answer is quite similar: I know that Jesus is the Christ, my Lord and Savior, because I have received a witness of this Truthfulness through His Holy Spirit. I prayed for this witness, and God freely gave it to me, though I am a sinner and frequently stray. He testifies of His Truthfulness both from His written words (scripture) and through His words He places in my heart. I do NOT believe anything because of what a man said, or men in general. Rather, I go straight for the Holy Spirit for testimony of Truth.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm talking about the *how*. *How* we know Truth (aka epistemology) is foundational to theology.

Do you think we are similar in the *how* we know Truth?

Some people "know" things that in reality aren't true.

Again, here's my answer:
My answer is quite similar: I know that Jesus is the Christ, my Lord and Savior, because I have received a witness of this Truthfulness through His Holy Spirit. I prayed for this witness, and God freely gave it to me, though I am a sinner and frequently stray. He testifies of His Truthfulness both from His written words (scripture) and through His words He places in my heart. I do NOT believe anything because of what a man said, or men in general. Rather, I go straight for the Holy Spirit for testimony of Truth.

Don't you realize that you can't prove that to anyone? Christians aren't told by the Holy Spirit that your religion is true. You reject the truths that we are taught by the Triune God.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Don't you realize that you can't prove that to anyone?
It's the Spirit that proves things, not me.
Christians aren't told by the Holy Spirit that your religion is true.

Christ disagrees-- "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

It is the Holy Ghost that testifies to all which testifies of Truth to all who listen.
You reject the truths that we are taught by the Triune God.
We've been over this: the concept of a shared ousia (critical to the Creedal Trinity) is not in the Bible. Therefore the Trinity is not the Bible.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We know the Old Testament is scripture as it was used by Jesus Christ himself! That is a powerful witness.
The New Testament authors certainly quoted Jesus as saying He considered the Old Testament to be scripture. How do we know that Jesus actually did say the things the New Testament authors said He said?

We know the New Testament is quoted in its entirety (though in sections of verses) by the early church fathers with the exception of 11 verses. We know that the writings that make up the NT were shared by the early church and became the basis for the creeds and doctrinal statements.
FreeinChrist, how do you go from the observation that the early church fathers quoted the New Testament in its entirety, and the observation that the early church shared the New Testament, to the conclusion that the New Testament is scripture? Was it impossible for the early church fathers and the early church members to mistakenly conclude that some book was scripture when God in fact did not consider that book to be scripture?

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2000 years of witness since Jesus Christ and the witness of Jesus Christ, and of his church, and the reliability of scripture over the time since. The Codex's go back to the 4th century, the writings go back to the first century.
FreeinChrist, if the New Testament had "the witness of Jesus Christ" that He considered it scripture, then that would indeed convince me that I should treat the New Testament as scripture. How did you come to the conclusion that the New Testament has the witness of Jesus Christ? As far as the other things go, has God ever said that He wants us to treat books as scripture if they have 2000 years of witness, and if the church that claims to be His also witnesses for them over 2000 years, and if it has Condexes that go back to the 4th century, and if the writings go back to the first century?

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, because the scripture you use is not His.
Has God ever said that the scripture Jane uses is not His? All you seem to be able to say about that scripture is that it plagiarized the Bible. It's not plagiarism if the same author wrote both books.

Upvote 0