Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I asked God if Mormonism is true. I asked God to teach me. My answers came from the Bible.

James 1
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
How do you know the Bible speaks for God?

Would it have made sense for a Muslim to pray and ask God if Christianity was true, and then look for God to answer her/his question in the Qur'an?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Book of Mormon is of no value to anyone. It contradicts the Bible and Mormonism. I didn't pray to know if the Bible is true.
Why didn't you? Why didn't you pray to know if the Bible is true? How else can you know whether or not the Bible is true?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Why didn't you? Why didn't you pray to know if the Bible is true? How else can you know whether or not the Bible is true?

Because God answers some prayers before you ask.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because God answers some prayers before you ask.
How do you know it was God who answered your prayer? If the answer came out of the blue, without you asking the question, then how do you know whether it was God who told it to you and not Satan?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know it was God who answered your prayer? If the answer came out of the blue, without you asking the question, then how do you know whether it was God who told it to you and not Satan?
Just like the First Vision, right? JS saw Satan and not God. He couldn't even get his story straight about who he saw or when. The "official version" wasn't even official until 1880 when it was voted on by sinful men at your general conference.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So they are or are not God's words themselves?
How many times are you going to fish for the same answer? You've been told numerous times that creeds are not scripture, but are a reflection and/or affirmation of what is contained within scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
How many times are you going to fish for the same answer? You've been told numerous times that creeds are not scripture, but are a reflection and/or affirmation of what is contained within scripture.
Then, by your logic in post 26, they are unnecessary. Thank you for acknowledging this.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just like the First Vision, right? JS saw Satan and not God. He couldn't even get his story straight about who he saw or when. The "official version" wasn't even official until 1880 when it was voted on by sinful men at your general conference.
BigDaddy, are you saying that when Phoebe Ann was told that the Bible was true, there was as much reason to believe it was Satan telling her as there is to believe it was Satan telling Joseph Smith that there were no true churches on the Earth?

Phoebe Ann said she was told the Bible was true before she asked God if it was or not. That means somebody out of the blue just decided the time was right and told her. I don't think that's a very accurate way of determining what God's will is on any given subject. I mean, if God told everyone at birth what was true and what was not, then someone could be sure of what God had told her/him (provided s/he could remember what s/he was told at birth). But I kind of doubt anyone thinks God is obligated to tell everyone what is true and what is not at birth. So when does it happen? Does God tell people what is true and what is not at age eight? Age eighteen? Age twenty? Age thirty?

I really don't see how we can be sure what the milestone is at which point God is going to tell us what is true and what is not. So any time that someone feels that God has told her/him the truth about something out of the blue, is also a time that Satan could have told her/him what Satan wants her/him to consider true. It's much more reasonable to me to go on the assumption that God will wait for the someone to ask Him a question, before He will give that someone an answer to the question.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BigDaddy, are you saying that when Phoebe Ann was told that the Bible was true, there was as much reason to believe it was Satan telling her as there is to believe it was Satan telling Joseph Smith that there were no true churches on the Earth?

Phoebe Ann said she was told the Bible was true before she asked God if it was or not. That means somebody out of the blue just decided the time was right and told her. I don't think that's a very accurate way of determining what God's will is on any given subject. I mean, if God told everyone at birth what was true and what was not, then someone could be sure of what God had told her/him (provided s/he could remember what s/he was told at birth). But I kind of doubt anyone thinks God is obligated to tell everyone what is true and what is not at birth. So when does it happen? Does God tell people what is true and what is not at age eight? Age eighteen? Age twenty? Age thirty?

I really don't see how we can be sure what the milestone is at which point God is going to tell us what is true and what is not. So any time that someone feels that God has told her/him the truth about something out of the blue, is also a time that Satan could have told her/him what Satan wants her/him to consider true. It's much more reasonable to me to go on the assumption that God will wait for the someone to ask Him a question, before He will give that someone an answer to the question.
Absolutely NOT saying that. Only JS did, in response to your post I quoted.

Phoebe Ann can speak for herself, but I'm sure she did something like search the scriptures like the Bereans or other such things.

JS sought the council of a minister, who said what JS saw was of the devil. But, heck, why take the advice of someone who knows more about God than you and what the Bible actually says? No mention of JS seeking scripture like the Bereans, either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Phoebe Ann can speak for herself, but I'm sure she did something like search the scriptures like the Bereans or other such things.
Why should Phoebe Ann search the scriptures like the Bereans did, to find out what the will of God was?

JS sought the council of a minister, who said what JS saw was of the devil. But, heck, why take the advice of someone who knows more about God than you and what the Bible actually says?
How did JS know the minister did know more about God than he did?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't forget that people can also just go here - Scriptures | LDS.org - if they want to read the scriptures & study aids straight off of their device.

Really, if someone's got a device and an internet connection they can read things all on their own.

ah our own portable seer stones

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Jesus paid the price of my sins with His blood.

Why should God tie Himself down to a specific year? He knows a lot more than you do or than Joseph Smith thought he knew.

I really don't see how we can be sure what the milestone is at which point God is going to tell us what is true and what is not. So any time that someone feels that God has told her/him the truth about something out of the blue, is also a time that Satan could have told her/him what Satan wants her/him to consider true.

Satan already has sinners in his grasp. God is the One Who rescues us. My knowledge of God won't convince you of anything. God has told us that He does the converting.

Your arguments are fruitless because you apparently don't believe God's word, His power, or His wisdom. You spend your time talking about Satan.

It's much more reasonable to me to go on the assumption that God will wait for the someone to ask Him a question, before He will give that someone an answer to the question.

How can an unbeliever ask God to save him? If he's a believer God already saved him!

What's reasonable to you sounds like everything God does is determined by your logic and the laws of Mormonism: unless you do A, you can't have B. God can't even decide to give you B without your obedience to A. You decide what He can and can't do for you.

My God is the Decision Maker. He doesn't need to be judged by mere humans just because they think His way should be this or that.

Lamentations 3
22 It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

God doesn't always issue the punishment deserved!

Micah 7
18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.

19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

Matthew 6
8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Philippians 4
19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 9
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

Romans 8
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Ephesians 3
20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

May HIS will be done.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why should God tie Himself down to a specific year? He knows a lot more than you do or than Joseph Smith thought he knew.
Well, that was my point, that it made no sense to assume that God would out of the blue contact someone at some arbitrary time. And because of that, any time that we got contacted by someone, it was just as likely that the being doing the contacting was an evil impostor as it was that the being was God. So it makes more sense to go on the faith that God will answer a question that one asks than that God will out of the blue tell one something.

Satan already has sinners in his grasp. God is the One Who rescues us. My knowledge of God won't convince you of anything. God has told us that He does the converting.
Phoebe Ann, why do you think that God "has told us that He does the converting"?

Your arguments are fruitless because you apparently don't believe God's word, His power, or His wisdom. You spend your time talking about Satan.
Appearances can be deceiving. I believe there's a purpose for every word that God has inspired. I just think one should be sure that God has inspired a book of scripture before one starts believing God has.

Is there some reason to believe someone who spends a lot of time talking about Satan can't understand God?

How can an unbeliever ask God to save him? If he's a believer God already saved him!
Saved him from what?
What's reasonable to you sounds like everything God does is determined by your logic and the laws of Mormonism: unless you do A, you can't have B. God can't even decide to give you B without your obedience to A. You decide what He can and can't do for you.

My God is the Decision Maker. He doesn't need to be judged by mere humans just because they think His way should be this or that.
How, then, do you know that he that is making all those decisions is in fact God, and isn't an evil impostor trying to deceive you into believing that he is God?

Lamentations 3
22 It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

God doesn't always issue the punishment deserved!

Micah 7
18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.

19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

Matthew 6
8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Philippians 4
19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 9
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

Romans 8
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Ephesians 3
20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
Phoebe Ann, how do you know that any of these verses tell the truth about God?

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, that was my point, that it made no sense to assume that God would out of the blue contact someone at some arbitrary time. And because of that, any time that we got contacted by someone, it was just as likely that the being doing the contacting was an evil impostor as it was that the being was God. So it makes more sense to go on the faith that God will answer a question that one asks than that God will out of the blue tell one something.

Phoebe Ann, why do you think that God "has told us that He does the converting"?

Appearances can be deceiving. I believe there's a purpose for every word that God has inspired. I just think one should be sure that God has inspired a book of scripture before one starts believing God has.

Is there some reason to believe someone who spends a lot of time talking about Satan can't understand God?

Saved him from what?

How, then, do you know that he that is making all those decisions is in fact God, and isn't an evil impostor trying to deceive you into believing that he is God?

Phoebe Ann, how do you know that any of these verses tell the truth about God?
Don't expect an answer. I have asked he many times but she never answers it. In fact only one has.

Upvote 0