Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You can get a free copy. I don't know if they'll send you the Doctrine and Covenants.

The Book of Mormon doesn't teach the following:

Doctrine and Covenants 1
30 And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually—

Doctrine and Covenants 130
3 John 14:23—The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.

22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

23 A man may receive the Holy Ghost, and it may descend upon him and not tarry with him.

Doctrine and Covenants 8
2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.

• “Though each God in the Godhead is a personage, separate and distinct from each of the others, yet they are ‘one God’ … , meaning that they are united as one in the attributes of perfection. For instance, each has the fulness of truth, knowledge, charity, power, justice, judgment, mercy, and faith. Accordingly they all think, act, speak, and are alike in all things; and yet they are three separate and distinct entities. Each occupies space and is and can be in but one place at one time, but each has power and influence that is everywhere present” (McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 319).
  • Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual Chapter 3: God the Eternal Father
...the Holy Ghost as a personage can be in only one place at one time, but his influence and power can and do fill the immensity of space.
Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3 Lesson 17: The Holy Ghost

Doctrine and Covenants 132
20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.

21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, except ye abide my law ye cannot attain to this glory.

D&C 132
15 Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

17 For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever.

Helpful Information:

The Book of Abraham is a book of LDS scripture that Joseph Smith translated from a collection of ancient Egyptian papyri the church purchased.[1] The book contains a narrative about some of Abraham's life as well as visions he had concerning the pre-mortal life and the creation. The book contains three facsimiles from the original papyri and Joseph Smith's translations of their images and characters. The Book of Abraham was canonized in 1880 and is part of the Pearl of Great Price. The papyri were believed to have been destroyed until they were rediscovered in 1966.[2]
The Book of Abraham Issues - Translation Problems

Pearl of Great Price, Abraham 4
26 And the Gods took counsel among themselves and said: Let us go down and form man in our image, after our likeness; and we will give them dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So the Gods went down to organize man in their own image, in the image of the Gods to form they him, male and female to form they them.

28 And the Gods said: We will bless them. And the Gods said: We will cause them to be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it, and to have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I hope this is helpful to those who want to learn what Mormons teach.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
You can get a free copy. I don't know if they'll send you the Doctrine and Covenants.
You can get it right here: Formats and Downloads
The Book of Mormon doesn't teach the following...
Did anyone say that the Book of Mormon says everything about LDS beliefs? Nope, quite the opposite. Not sure why you're trying to argue this...

Your OP then pulls a bunch of random verses out of context. Some of your quotes aren't even scripture. Again, not sure the point...wasn't this thread entitled "The Book of Mormon"? And yet the contents aren't actually about the Book of Mormon at all.

I hope this is helpful to those who want to learn what Mormons teach.
??????????????????????

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The missionaries emphasize the Book of Mormon to non-members because it has fewer contradictions to the Bible than their other scriptures. Most of them hope it will whet your appetite. Once you pray about it and think God has told you it's authentic scripture, you might be vulnerable enough to accept other teachings of Mormonism.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
The missionaries emphasize the Book of Mormon to non-members because it has fewer contradictions to the Bible than their other scriptures. Most of them hope it will whet your appetite. Once you pray about it and think God has told you it's authentic scripture, you might be vulnerable enough to accept other teachings of Mormonism.
[Citation needed]

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single

[citation needed]

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So praying and asking God a question and feeling what you think is likely an answer from God, makes you vulnerable? Wow, why do Christians even pray then?

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So praying and asking God a question and feeling what you think is likely an answer from God, makes you vulnerable? Wow, why do Christians even pray then?

Your sarcasm is noted. What a person thinks needs to be verified.

Jeremiah 17
9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Acts 17
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

1 Thessalonians 5
17 Pray without ceasing.

1 Thessalonians 5
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

2 Timothy 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

IOW, no Book of Mormon is necessary.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Your sarcasm is noted. What a person thinks needs to be verified.

Jeremiah 17
9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Acts 17
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

1 Thessalonians 5
17 Pray without ceasing.

1 Thessalonians 5

2 Timothy 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Except you claimed praying makes you vulnerable and seemed to be against the idea...

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your sarcasm is noted.
Yeah, there was a little bit of sarcasm there!

What a person thinks needs to be verified.
If someone is applying Moroni 10:4 the way s/he should apply it, then s/he is in the process of beginning her/his own personal theology. So what does s/he have to verify her/his perceived answer with? S/he is just starting out. The only thing s/he has is faith that God exists and faith that God wants her/him to know His will in her/his life.

Also, while applying Moroni 10:4, are you saying that God is incapable of giving her/him a clear answer? When s/he asks God a question, God knows full well that if He doesn't give her/him an answer to her/his question s/he will never have any other way to know for sure what God's will is in her/his life. So why doesn't God answer her/his question in a way that s/he can be sure what His answer is?

Jeremiah 17

Acts 17

1 Thessalonians 5
17 Pray without ceasing.

1 Thessalonians 5

2 Timothy 3
These scriptures are all pretty interesting. Of most interest is 1 Thessalonians 5:21, "Prove all things." These scriptures are themselves part of "all things"; Phoebe Ann, what have you done to verify them?

If one can't ask God if those scripture passages are telling us the truth, and count on God telling us whether or not they're telling the truth, how can we ever know that they are telling us the truth about God?

IOW, no Book of Mormon is necessary.
How in the world did you come to the conclusion that "no Book of Mormon is necessary"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah, there was a little bit of sarcasm there!

If someone is applying Moroni 10:4 the way s/he should apply it, then s/he is in the process of beginning her/his own personal theology. So what does s/he have to verify her/his perceived answer with? S/he is just starting out. The only thing s/he has is faith that God exists and faith that God wants her/him to know His will in her/his life.

Also, while applying Moroni 10:4, are you saying that God is incapable of giving her/him a clear answer? When s/he asks God a question, God knows full well that if He doesn't give her/him an answer to her/his question s/he will never have any other way to know for sure what God's will is in her/his life. So why doesn't God answer her/his question in a way that s/he can be sure what His answer is?

God is omnipotent. God wants His sheep to search the Bible to see if what men are teaching is true. He and we are sure of that.

These scriptures are all pretty interesting. Of most interest is 1 Thessalonians 5:21, "Prove all things." These scriptures are themselves part of "all things"; Phoebe Ann, what have you done to verify them?

You can't verify something as genuine if its false.

If one can't ask God if those scripture passages are telling us the truth, and count on God telling us whether or not they're telling the truth, how can we ever know that they are telling us the truth about God?

I asked Him and He directed me to read my Bible.

How in the world did you come to the conclusion that "no Book of Mormon is necessary"?

I read it and prayed for guidance and started reading my Bible.

Psalm 119
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalm 86:11
11 Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

I'm very thankful that the Relief Society Spiritual Living teacher told us to read the scriptures!

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
God is omnipotent. God wants His sheep to search the Bible to see if what men are teaching is true. He and we are sure of that.

I read it and prayed for guidance and started reading my Bible.

Psalm 119
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalm 86:11
11 Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

I'm very thankful that the Relief Society Spiritual Living teacher told us to read the scriptures!
And *just* the Bible? Not the Creeds too, for example?

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In other words, you did for the Bible what the Book of Mormon said to do for it. That does not make the Book of Mormon unnecessary. The Bible never says to verify the Bible by praying and asking God about it; it's the Book of Mormon that says that; so the Book of Mormon is necessary.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In other words, you did for the Bible what the Book of Mormon said to do for it. That does not make the Book of Mormon unnecessary. The Bible never says to verify the Bible by praying and asking God about it; it's the Book of Mormon that says that; so the Book of Mormon is necessary.
Uh, no. James 1:5 should be familiar to the lds, making the BoM unnecessary. Also Acts 17:11 among others. The BoM adds nothing to the hope of salvation that is found in Jesus Christ as written in the Gospels and the rest of the NT.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

The Book of Mormon is of no value to anyone. It contradicts the Bible and Mormonism. I didn't pray to know if the Bible is true. I compared the Mormon religion with the Bible. Mormonism shifts like the wind. God's truth doesn't change like that. Mormons are loyal to prophets who apparently don't know what to say from one century to the next. God gave us the Bible centuries before Joseph Smith claimed that he found golden plates (plates that never existed). Joseph Smith kept adding teachings that contradicted earlier ones and Mormons are still doing that.

“In the ultimate and final sense of the word, there is only one true and living God…. We believe in one God in that we believe in one Godhead, one divine presidency of the universe… three Gods… three beings… and these three constitute the Godhead, and are one.”
Robert L. Millet, Camille Fronk Olsen, Andrew C. Skinner and Brent L. Top, LDS Beliefs—A Doctrinal Reference, 436

The attempts to pull the wool over the eyes of the biblically illiterate is worse than pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Uh, no. James 1:5 should be familiar to the lds, making the BoM unnecessary. Also Acts 17:11 among others. The BoM adds nothing to the hope of salvation that is found in Jesus Christ as written in the Gospels and the rest of the NT.
Would you argue that Jame 1:5 makes books of the Bible unnecessary? Or the Creeds?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
“People tell us, ‘You don’t believe in one God; you believe in three Gods.’ And the answer is, ‘Yes, we do.’ If that is polytheism then we are.”
BYU professor (emeritus) Truman Madsen,“150-Year- Old Debate: Are Mormons `Really Christian’? San Francisco Chronicle, April 8, 1996

Doctrine and Covenants 93
24 And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come;

Mormons are apparently completely without truth.

"The gospel as the Mormons know it sprang full grown from the words of Joseph Smith. It has never been worked over or touched up in any way, and is free of revisions and alterations. Joseph Smith took the same elements that have proven so recalcitrant and so hopelessly conflicting in the hands of the churchmen and threw them together, with an awful lot of other stuff, to follow Brodie, into a single wildly chaotic mess. And lo and behold, everything fell into line of its own accord; all the haphazard elements in the bewildering heap fitted together perfectly to form a doctrine so commanding that not even a hint of rhetorical paradox is needed to support it, and no 'Gregorian compromise' with a pleasure-loving world has been necessary to assure its vigorous growth."
Hugh Nibley, No Ma'am, That's Not History

Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”
Introduction

Changes made to the Book of Mormon in my lifetime occurred in 1981.

As before 2 Nephi 5:21 still reads,
21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

2 Nephi 30:6 prior to 1981 read
6 And then shall they rejoice; for they shall know that it is a blessing unto them from the hand of God; and their scales of darkness shall begin to fall from their eyes; and many generations shall not pass away among them, save they shall be a white and a delightsome people.

The 1888 copy read the same: "white and delightsome" and the words remained the same until 1981 when the word "white" was changed to "pure."

2 Nephi 30
6 And then shall they rejoice; for they shall know that it is a blessing unto them from the hand of God; and their scales of darkness shall begin to fall from their eyes; and many generations shall not pass away among them, save they shall be a pure and a delightsome people.
2 Nephi 30

Doctrine and Covenants 93
24 And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come;

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I asked God if Mormonism is true. I asked God to teach me. My answers came from the Bible.

James 1
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I asked God if Mormonism is true. I asked God to teach me. My answers came from the Bible.

James 1
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
That's great!

When do you embrace Calvin?

Upvote 0