Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Keep in mind that when Christ gave up the ghost He said—"it is finished."

Eternal Redemption was accomplished by His death, not His suffering:

Hebrews 9:12-15
King James Version

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

The point of remission of sins through vicarious death (as seen under Old Testament conditions) never required suffering. It was a matter of death being the wages of sin and the animal dying in the place of the sinner instead.

While men received remission of sins through vicarious animal death it was temporary and would have to be continually repeated.

But when Christ has died in our stead it is everlasting:

Hebrews 10:14
King James Version

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

That eternal judgment is everlasting is seen in the fact that it is contrasted with Eternal Life: if eternal judgment isn't everlasting then those who embrace annihilation have to equally reject eternal life to be consistent.

God bless.

Are you saying God the Father never required Jesus to suffer ?? How do you interpret Isaiah 53:5 then ???

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think Isaiah 53 answer's that question. But anyways......

When people say, "how could a loving God send people to Hell?" , I can use their own reasoning against them by asking how could a loving God allow his one and only son to be tortured? A loving God would have given his one and only son a quick painless death. Right ?

The fact that Jesus had to endure torture proves that Hell exists.

I examined every book, chapter and verse of a very ordinary King James Bible to see if "hell" exists. I could find nothing I considered proof...but I did find bad and/or dishonest translation to prop up that man-made doctrine. I don't suppose that would sway you, but you expect me to throw in the towel because Jesus was tortured? Tell me, how much torture would it take for "hell" to pop into existence? A slap in the face? A good whipping? No, a loving God DID allowed His Son to be tortured - in fact, the Scripture you referenced says as much.

Upvote 0

P1LGR1M

Stranger
Jun 20, 2012
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I kept seeing that statement, and got curious - so curious that one day I tallied up the number of times Jesus spoke about "hell," and the number of time He spoke of "heaven." My finding was that He spoke of "heaven" about 6.5 times more often than He did of "hell," even if I admit that "hell" exists, which I don't.

It's time to put that little bon mot to bed.

Would you mind presenting the list of verses you included in your study? I ask because I am wondering if you used only verses that have "hell" in them, or if you included verses that speak of eternal judgment without mentioning either Hades or Gehenna.

As to whether the concept of what is translated as "Hell" is a valid Biblical Doctrine, that is just an undeniable truth. Hades is not what most people think of when they think of "Hell," it is the Old Testament equivalent to Sheol, the place of the dead. It will not be until the beginning of the Millennial Kingdom that we see anyone cast into what is properly "hell," the Lake of Fire, which is the place of eternal judgment:

Revelation 20:11-15
King James Version

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

This is the "hell" that is often caricaturized by hollywood and confused with Hades by some (v.13 and 14).

Here is another description of the place of eternal judgment by the Lord:

Mark 9:43-48
King James Version

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

His teaching makes it pretty clear: being cast into Hell (Gehenna) has an everlasting duration. This type of terminology is seen in numerous teachings of Christ. We see a picture of enduring flames and corruption of the body (undying worms).

Here is another one:

Matthew 3:11-12
King James Version

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

I use the colors to show the correlation between the Baptism with the Holy Ghost which represents eternal life and the baptism with fire which represents eternal judgment. Again, the fire is never quenched.

Another example:

Jude 11-13
King James Version

11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

For ever is pretty clear.

One more:

Matthew 13:39-41
King James Version

39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

This one has, in my view, an application to both the end of the Tribulation (and the start of the Millennial Kingdom) as well as the end of this current Universe (and the beginning of the Eternal State where we will dwell in the new heavens and Earth). But it still speaks of eternal judgment.

The demons asked Jesus if He had come to torment them before "the time:"

Matthew 8:29
And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

This doesn't present the picture of them being snuffed out, but one of ongoing torture. (Gehenna) Hell was created for Satan and his demons:

Matthew 25:41
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

And when Satan is cast in we see he—

Revelation 20:10
King James Version

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

For ever and ever torment doesn't exactly agree with the notion of annihilation.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You do not believe in hell. You cannot pick and choose what parts of the bible you will believe and which ones you will deny.

Mmmm...Okay, but I can use a few tools (dictionary, concordance, commentary, God-given common sense, etc) to recognize bad and dishonest translation. I can also choose a Bible version without pagan-derived, man-made doctrines such as "hell."

Upvote 0

P1LGR1M

Stranger
Jun 20, 2012
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying God the Father never required Jesus to suffer ?? How do you interpret Isaiah 53:5 then ???

I interpret it as a description of what the Christ went through.

I interpret it as a passage that confirms that Christ suffering at the hands of wicked men was the Lord's choice, not man's. He had the power to lay down His life, and the power to take it back up again.

I don't interpret it as "God requiring Christ to suffer."

I understand interpreting "with His stripes we are healed" as meaning we receive healing because He was beaten—but I don't agree with that interpretation. Everything that is to our advantage converges on our Eternal Redemption, and Eternal Redemption was accomplished, not by His suffering, but by His vicarious death in our stead.

Consider that the Incarnation itself was a means of suffering for The Son of God. It is, I think, difficult to think about Holy God being in the form of man as something that caused grief for God, but I believe it was. The flesh He took upon Himself was a veil he willingly took up, but that was something I view as one of the most difficult aspects of the Incarnation.

I do not deny that His suffering at the hands of wicked men is an important aspect of the Incarnation, but I feel in large part much of this was for the purpose of confirming Prophecy. His beating and scourging are not the source of Eternal Redemption, but His death and Resurrection.

God bless.

Upvote 0

P1LGR1M

Stranger
Jun 20, 2012
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mmmm...Okay, but I can use a few tools (dictionary, concordance, commentary, God-given common sense, etc) to recognize bad and dishonest translation. I can also choose a Bible version without pagan-derived, man-made doctrines such as "hell."

Would you mind presenting a "Bible translation" that is lacking the concepts that are translated as "Hell" in the English language?

I would also ask if you are consistent in denying a doctrine based on the language? For example, the word Trinity is not in Scripture, so do you reject, or receive the Doctrine of the Trinity?

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
You cannot find the truth without the Holy Spirit. Intellect alone will never be sufficient.
You simply must allow for translational tolerances for sheol, hades and Gehana.

Reactions: P1LGR1M
Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
I interpret it as a description of what the Christ went through.

I interpret it as a passage that confirms that Christ suffering at the hands of wicked men was the Lord's choice, not man's. He had the power to lay down His life, and the power to take it back up again.

I don't interpret it as "God requiring Christ to suffer."

I understand interpreting "with His stripes we are healed" as meaning we receive healing because He was beaten—but I don't agree with that interpretation. Everything that is to our advantage converges on our Eternal Redemption, and Eternal Redemption was accomplished, not by His suffering, but by His vicarious death in our stead.

Consider that the Incarnation itself was a means of suffering for The Son of God. It is, I think, difficult to think about Holy God being in the form of man as something that caused grief for God, but I believe it was. The flesh He took upon Himself was a veil he willingly took up, but that was something I view as one of the most difficult aspects of the Incarnation.

I do not deny that His suffering at the hands of wicked men is an important aspect of the Incarnation, but I feel in large part much of this was for the purpose of confirming Prophecy. His beating and scourging are not the source of Eternal Redemption, but His death and Resurrection.

God bless.

In Mark 8:31 Jesus said the son of man MUST suffer.

“Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” Luke 22:42

God the Father denied Jesus request. Why? Because the son of man MUST suffer.

"but it was because of our rebellion that he was pierced.
He was crushed for the guilt our sins deserved.
The punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

I'm shocked to hear you say Isaiah 53:5 doesn't mean what it says.

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
I examined every book, chapter and verse of a very ordinary King James Bible to see if "hell" exists. I could find nothing I considered proof...but I did find bad and/or dishonest translation to prop up that man-made doctrine. I don't suppose that would sway you, but you expect me to throw in the towel because Jesus was tortured? Tell me, how much torture would it take for "hell" to pop into existence? A slap in the face? A good whipping? No, a loving God DID allowed His Son to be tortured - in fact, the Scripture you referenced says as much.

"Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire, which is prepared for the Devil and his angels." Matt 25:41

That verse makes no sense if Hell doesn't exist. How can something be prepared if its never going to exist ???

You don't have to believe in Hell. Jesus warns us that many people won't believe in Hell. They won't believe in Hell even if someone rises from the dead.
Luke 16:31

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rubbish! What it boils down to is you choose to use only "sources" which support your biased assumptions/presuppositions.
Jesus didn't have a problem using the Greek words "hades" and "Gehenna" which were already in use by the Jews of His day to refer to the place of eternal, i.e. everlasting, fiery punishment. Documentation previously provided multiple times but ignored.
Unless you personally have an advanced degree in koine Greek you have no basis for making accusations like "bad and dishonest translations."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire, which is prepared for the Devil and his angels." Matt 25:41
That verse makes no sense if Hell doesn't exist.
You don't have to believe in Hell. Jesus warns us that many people won't believe in Hell. They won't believe in Hell even if someone rises from the dead.
Luke 16:31
Let us look a bit further in that chapter. I have posted this numerous times before it has never been addressed and certainly not refuted.
EOB Matthew:25:46 When he will answer them, saying: ‘Amen, I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 These [ones on the left] will go away into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] punishment, [κόλασις/kolasis] but the righteous into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.”​
Greek has been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church since its inception, 2000 years ago +/-. Note, the native Greek speaking Eastern Orthodox Greek scholars, translators of the EOB, translated “aionios,” in Matt 25:46, as “eternal,” NOT “age” as often argued by some groups.
Who better than the team of native Greek speaking scholars, translators of the Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible [EOB], quoted below, know the correct meaning of the Greek words in the N.T.?
Link to EOB online:
The New Testament ( The Eastern-Greek Orthodox Bible) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
…..The Greek word “kolasis” occurs only twice in the N.T., 1st occurrence Matt 25:46, above, and the 2nd occurrence 1 John 4:18., below.
EOB 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is connected with punishment.[κόλασις/kolasis] But the one who fears is not yet perfect in love.​
In the EOB the Greek word “kolasis” is translated “punishment” in both Matt 25:46 and 1 John 4:18. Some mis/uninformed folks claim “kolasis” really means “prune” or “correction.” However, that is an etymological fallacy. According to the EOB Greek scholars it means “punishment.”
Note: in 1 John 4:18 there is no correction, the one with “kolasis” is not made perfect. Thus “kolasis” does not/cannot mean “correction.”
…..It is acknowledged that modern Greek differs from koine Greek but I am confident that the Greek speaking EOB scholars, backed up by 2000 years +/- of Greek scholarship, are competent enough to know the correct meanings of old words which may have changed in meaning or are no longer used and to translate them correctly. Just as scholars today know the meaning of archaic words which occur in the KJV and translate them correctly.

Upvote 0

P1LGR1M

Stranger
Jun 20, 2012
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Mark 8:31 Jesus said the son of man MUST suffer.

“Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” Luke 22:42

God the Father denied Jesus request. Why? Because the son of man MUST suffer.

"but it was because of our rebellion that he was pierced.
He was crushed for the guilt our sins deserved.
The punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

I'm shocked to hear you say Isaiah 53:5 doesn't mean what it says.

I'm shocked to hear you speak for me, lol.

Show where I said it doesn't mean what it says. Did you even read the post?

If you want to believe Jesus' suffering is the means of eternal redemption then okay.

Me, I'll stick with the consistent teaching that Eternal Redemption was accomplished by His death and Resurrection:

Colossians 1:14
King James Version

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

God bless.

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced

If you want to believe Jesus' suffering is the means of eternal redemption then okay.

Me, I'll stick with the consistent teaching that Eternal Redemption was accomplished by His death and Resurrection:

King James Version

God bless.

King James Version

God bless.

To me it seemed you disagreed with the Bible when it says, "by his wounds we are healed".

Yes by his blood. His wounds produced alot of blood.

But whatever. Have a good day :)

Upvote 0

P1LGR1M

Stranger
Jun 20, 2012
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me it seemed you disagreed with the Bible when it says, "by his wounds we are healed".

Yes by his blood. His wounds produced alot of blood.

But whatever. Have a good day :)

I will admit that I do not embrace the view that we receive healing in our bodies physically due to His suffering. I do believe in God's healing and that it is based on the Work of Christ, but I do not take that to mean that He is indebted to heal me because of Christ's stripes.

Hope that makes sense, lol.

Have to get going, but I have enjoyed it.

God bless.

Upvote 0

wendykvw

Author, and Patristic Universalist Minister
Mar 24, 2011
Colorado
✟4,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Luke 16:19-31 is crystal clear in what it says. People who deny Luke 16 keep saying that it doesn't mean what it says.

That comes from the father of lies. Satan doesn't want people to believe in hell. He wants people to believe that their is no punishment, so you might as well do whatever your sinful nature desires.

Rejecting Jesus sacrifice is a very serious thing.

God suffered hell for you. He didn't have to suffer eternally because he was innocent.

Jesus wouldn't have needed to suffer if there were no Hell. He could have just died a quick painless death. That fact that Jesus HAD to suffer proves Hell exists .
Come again, the father of lies? I would be willing to bet the father of lies tells people Christ was defeated and can’t save the world. Which is contrary to scripture.

He forgave us all our trespasses,14having canceled the debt ascribed to us in the decrees that stood against us. He took it away, nailing it to the cross! 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Colossians 2:14-16.

Satan and the fallen angels have no authority over any human. The debt was paid in full by the blood of the lamb who takes away the sins of the world.
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. John 10:28

God has no favorites. He is unwilling any perish, and is willing to be patient with all people to come to the knowledge of truth. Death does not end God’s ability to rescue those who never heard the gospel or who were too ignorant to come into a relationship with their Heavenly Father.

Colossians 3:25, 2 Pt3:9, 1Pt 4:6,1 Tim 2:4.

Our will or ignorance is not an obstacle to the creator who also is the Savior. Who can boast? Not one can boast. He loved us first, not the other way around. He is the great physician who came specifically for the unrighteous. He heals the blind, deaf, raises the dead, and cures sinful people. The entire universe will be reconciled to their creator. The ending is a happy one. All people, great and small will know the lord. All people will worship Him willingly.
Eph 2:9, 1 John 4:19, Matt 19:12, Ps 22:27

• Winner
Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Come again, the father of lies? I would be willing to bet the father of lies tells people Christ was defeated and can’t save the world. Which is contrary to scripture.

He forgave us all our trespasses,14having canceled the debt ascribed to us in the decrees that stood against us. He took it away, nailing it to the cross! 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Colossians 2:14-16.

Satan and the fallen angels have no authority over any human. The debt was paid in full by the blood of the lamb who takes away the sins of the world.
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. John 10:28

God has no favorites. He is unwilling any perish, and is willing to be patient with all people to come to the knowledge of truth. Death does not end God’s ability to rescue those who never heard the gospel or who were too ignorant to come into a relationship with their Heavenly Father.

Colossians 3:25, 2 Pt3:9, 1Pt 4:6,1 Tim 2:4.

Our will or ignorance is not an obstacle to the creator who also is the Savior. Who can boast? Not one can boast. He loved us first, not the other way around. He is the great physician who came specifically for the unrighteous. He heals the blind, deaf, raises the dead, and cures sinful people. The entire universe will be reconciled to their creator. The ending is a happy one. All people, great and small will know the lord. All people will worship Him willingly.
Eph 2:9, 1 John 4:19, Matt 19:12, Ps 22:27

"Whoever does not believe will be condemned".
John 3:18 and Mark 16:16 both say that.

"But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:14

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you mind presenting the list of verses you included in your study? I ask because I am wondering if you used only verses that have "hell" in them, or if you included verses that speak of eternal judgment without mentioning either Hades or Gehenna.

As to whether the concept of what is translated as "Hell" is a valid Biblical Doctrine, that is just an undeniable truth. Hades is not what most people think of when they think of "Hell," it is the Old Testament equivalent to Sheol, the place of the dead. It will not be until the beginning of the Millennial Kingdom that we see anyone cast into what is properly "hell," the Lake of Fire, which is the place of eternal judgment:

Revelation 20:11-15
King James Version

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

This is the "hell" that is often caricaturized by hollywood and confused with Hades by some (v.13 and 14).

Here is another description of the place of eternal judgment by the Lord:

Mark 9:43-48
King James Version

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

His teaching makes it pretty clear: being cast into Hell (Gehenna) has an everlasting duration. This type of terminology is seen in numerous teachings of Christ. We see a picture of enduring flames and corruption of the body (undying worms).

Here is another one:

Matthew 3:11-12
King James Version

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

I use the colors to show the correlation between the Baptism with the Holy Ghost which represents eternal life and the baptism with fire which represents eternal judgment. Again, the fire is never quenched.

Another example:

Jude 11-13
King James Version

11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

For ever is pretty clear.

One more:

Matthew 13:39-41
King James Version
DID
39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

This one has, in my view, an application to both the end of the Tribulation (and the start of the Millennial Kingdom) as well as the end of this current Universe (and the beginning of the Eternal State where we will dwell in the new heavens and Earth). But it still speaks of eternal judgment.

The demons asked Jesus if He had come to torment them before "the time:"

Matthew 8:29
And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

This doesn't present the picture of them being snuffed out, but one of ongoing torture. (Gehenna) Hell was created for Satan and his demons:

Matthew 25:41
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

And when Satan is cast in we see he—

Revelation 20:10
King James Version

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

For ever and ever torment doesn't exactly agree with the notion of annihilation.

God bless.

Firstly, for the statements about "hell" and about "heaven," I did a quick tally with a hand counter, and never made a list...so sorry, no can do.

Secondly, I don't know of any Bible, the KJV included, that ID's the Lake of Fire as "hell." It is an assumption on top of an assertion. I have found the Bible has been shockingly silent about "hell" on several levels.

• Informative
Reactions: wendykvw
Upvote 0

wendykvw

Author, and Patristic Universalist Minister
Mar 24, 2011
Colorado
✟4,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"Whoever does not believe will be condemned".
John 3:18 and Mark 16:16 both say that.

"But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:14
John 3:18 and Mark 16:16 refer to judgement. All people will be judged. No argument. Matthew 7:14 refers to life here and now. Who are the few? The few who find salvation? If this is your position Satan has victory. I suggest you refer to the victory of Christ, and His defeat of the evil one.

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
John 3:18 and Mark 16:16 refer to judgement. All people will be judged. No argument. Matthew 7:14 refers to life here and now. Who are the few? The few who find salvation? If this is your position Satan has victory. I suggest you refer to the victory of Christ, and His defeat of the evil one.

I don't believe Jesus sacrifice gives people a license to sin.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would like to see how you make these two vss. say the opposite of what they do say.
EOB Matthew:25:46 When he will answer them, saying: ‘Amen, I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 These [ones on the left] will go away into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] punishment, [κόλασις/kolasis] but the righteous into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.”​
Greek has been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church since its inception, 2000 years ago +/-. Note, the native Greek speaking Eastern Orthodox Greek scholars, translators of the EOB, translated “aionios,” in Matt 25:46, as “eternal,” NOT “age.”
Who is better qualified than the team of native Greek speaking scholars, translators of the Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible [EOB], quoted above and below, to know the correct meaning of the Greek in the N.T?
Link to EOB online:
The New Testament ( The Eastern-Greek Orthodox Bible) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
…..The Greek word “kolasis” occurs only twice in the N.T., 1st occurrence Matt 25:46, above, and the 2nd occurrence 1 John 4:18., below.
EOB 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is connected with punishment.[κόλασις/kolasis] But the one who fears is not yet perfect in love.​
In the EOB the Greek word “kolasis” is translated “punishment” in both Matt 25:46 and 1 John 4:18. Some mis/uninformed folks claim “kolasis” really means “prune” or “correction.” However, that is an etymological fallacy. According to the EOB Greek scholars it means “punishment.”
Note: in 1 John 4:18 there is no correction, the one with “kolasis” is not made perfect. Thus “kolasis” does not/cannot mean “correction.”
…..It is understood that modern Greek differs from koine Greek but I am confident that the Greek speaking EOB scholars, backed up by 2000 years +/- of Greek scholarship, are competent enough to know the correct meanings of old words, which may have changed in meaning, or are no longer used and to translate them correctly. Just as scholars today know the meaning of archaic words which occur in the KJV and translate them correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.