• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Rare Heart Defect (Discover at 18)

Eclipse1157

Jun 6, 2011
USA - West Coast
✟7,648.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I was 18 I suffered from some terrible-what was thought-allergic reactions but after seeing an allergist and the nurse took my blood pressure they told myself and my mom that I needed to see a cardiologist. I went in and did some tests, I was pretty shaken up and hoping they wouldn't find anything but they discovered I had a rare birth defect and it was only now being detected.

My main blood artery: the aorta, there was like a gap and the blood wasn't getting through. My body adapted by creating tons of smaller blood vessels to go around the gap. I never knew this had happened at birth, there were no signs or symptoms to indicate a heart problem.

I went through heart surgery and took 3-4 months to physically recover. I was in kind of a shock, but reality came to me when I had to return to the hospital a year later for an angioplasty to widen the blood vessel. Returning was very hard and brought back all of the memories and pains. I had terrible nurses who told me to stop crying and keep quiet!

Things are ok, but I get winded when going up steps, moving too quickly or exerting myself. Sometimes I feel out of breath and get winded at random even if I'm just standing or sitting. I also deal with low-blood sugar, if I don't eat every so often my body shakes, I get headaches and kind of go into a freak mode.

They went through my back instead of the chest area. I deal with back problems all of the time and don't do very well sleeping. I've tried various positions, tons of pillows but its hard. My doctor usually does kids, but took me in and says he doesn't prescribe pain meds o_O And other situations have prevented getting a new heart doctor but I hope to get an adult heart doctor at some point.

So...that's my story.