Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Anybody else familiar with "Radical Lutheran" thought of Gerhard Forde? This is influential in the ELCA, and to a lesser extent, in the LCMS.

My pastor doesn't like Forde's theology because he sees him as more than a little antinomian, particularly his minimizing of sanctification as merely "getting used to justification by faith alone", and the denial of all human cooperation in the process.

Radical Lutherans seem to be "hyper-Lutheran". You can't easily pin Forde down as being wrong in any specific thing: just the emphasis doesn't seem right. I also wonder what possible relevance this theology could have in a post-Christian world, especially as it seems so polemically focused on attacking religious legalism and moralism. What do Radical Lutherans see for the future of the Lutheran movement? Merely being a refuge for those from other Christian confessions, burnt out on legalism? How is this going to keep young people Lutheran when there are so many other religious options out there now days, ones that are more personally involving than the Radical Lutherans seemingly reductionist and deconstructionist message?

Jordan Cooper, a Lutheran pastor and theologian from a Reformed background, seems to be one of the most prominent critics of this theology: What exactly is the problem with Gerhard Forde and the "Radical Lutherans"

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith leads to fruit. The only good fruit is by remaining, abiding, looking, listening to Christ, so we do as He commanded.

The ultimate help for us in our thinking is to fall silent and listen to Christ as we read His words in the gospels.

Upvote 0