Jennifer Rothnie

Jan 10, 2017
Washington
✟45,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. As you know Isaiah 45: 7 God created evil. Why? For the world to know that good is not an entitlement but a free gift of grace.

2. When you see many go to hell, God wants the world to know that eternal life is not an entitlement but a free gift of grace.

3. Man either is ruled by sin or ruled by His grace (Romans 5:21). He is not free.

1. God did not create moral evil, nor does He ever claim such in scripture. Is 45:7 is "The One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these."

The KJV translates the Hebrew 'ra' as evil, but that is because 'evil' is an acceptable synonym (though now it archaic) for distress.

God doesn't even legally allow moral evil (though He may defer judgement upon it.)
Does God allow moral evil?

2. I don't know of any non-Calvinist Christian teaching that claims eternal life is an 'entitlement,' so that is a strawman argument. Eternal life comes for those who go through the single doorway God offered and planned: Christ alone. That has nothing to do with man's merit, but everything to do with God setting up the way of salvation (faith in Christ to save sins through His blood) and an individual placing his faith in Christ in response to the gospel.

3. Certainly - the man who comes to Christ is now a slave of righteousness. That is why Jesus warned so often that man cannot serve two masters. Grace reigns through righteousness to bring us to eternal life - but for who does it reign? Only over those of faith!

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God....But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!
Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Rom 5

We stand under grace having gained access by faith. That offer of access was not granted to all people due to entitlement or merit - indeed it followed many trespasses! Rather through the increase of grace, anyone may place faith in Christ and be justified, standing under the reign of grace and with the hope of God.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
1. God did not create moral evil, nor does He ever claim such in scripture. Is 45:7 is "The One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these."

The KJV translates the Hebrew 'ra' as evil, but that is because 'evil' is an acceptable synonym (though now it archaic) for distress.

God doesn't even legally allow moral evil (though He may defer judgement upon it.)
Does God allow moral evil?

2. I don't know of any non-Calvinist Christian teaching that claims eternal life is an 'entitlement,' so that is a strawman argument. Eternal life comes for those who go through the single doorway God offered and planned: Christ alone. That has nothing to do with man's merit, but everything to do with God setting up the way of salvation (faith in Christ to save sins through His blood) and an individual placing his faith in Christ in response to the gospel.

3. Certainly - the man who comes to Christ is now a slave of righteousness. That is why Jesus warned so often that man cannot serve two masters. Grace reigns through righteousness to bring us to eternal life - but for who does it reign? Only over those of faith!

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God....But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!
Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Rom 5

We stand under grace having gained access by faith. That offer of access was not granted to all people due to entitlement or merit - indeed it followed many trespasses! Rather through the increase of grace, anyone may place faith in Christ and be justified, standing under the reign of grace and with the hope of God.

1. God created man without the knowledge of good and evil (kge). So He created them naked. So man was not created as moral being.

2. People consider eternal life (el) as entitlement because they think el of being earned by their faith.

3. Faith is not produced by man. It is a free gift from God as Jesus is the beginner and finisher of faith (heb12:2). So none can say, "I believed and so I am saved and blessed".

Upvote 0

Jennifer Rothnie

Jan 10, 2017
Washington
✟45,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. God created man without the knowledge of good and evil (kge). So He created them naked. So man was not created as moral being.

2. People consider eternal life (el) as entitlement because they think el of being earned by their faith.

3. Faith is not produced by man. It is a free gift from God as Jesus is the beginner and finisher of faith (heb12:2). So none can say, "I believed and so I am saved and blessed".

1. Certainly, man wasn't created considering the ramifications of their actions of right and wrong, but I am not sure how that would prove the previous assertion that God "created evil?"

2. What specific "people" consider eternal life as an entitlement and believe faith "earns" eternal life? Again, please show what people believe this - do not just assert it. Is there a prominent Christian teacher or specific mainstream denomination which claims such a thing?

Christianity holds that it was Jesus' work on the cross that earned eternal life on our behalf. Faith is the method God offered for us to receive it. Trusting that God keeps His word, and grants the promises to those who respond to the gospel in faith - is not expecting an 'entitlement' due to something in ourselves, but upholding the grace, sovereignty, and trustworthy character of God. God has given those with faith the Holy Spirit as down-payment for a future inheritance. We don't expect that future inheritance because we are 'owed' it due to our merit, but because God *promised* in His grace that those with faith would receive it, having entered a new covenant with us. Trusting God to make good on His promises, offered in grace, is not believing ourselves 'deserving' of that grace or those promises. It's about the character and work of God, not our goodness or merit.

Scripture makes the point repeatedly that faith is contrary to boasting. By it's very nature, faith is rooted in humility - not in pride or entitlement.
What does it mean in Rom 3:27 that boasting is excluded because of the law that requires faith?

3. Faith is man's response to the gospel, accepting God's persuasion of the reality of Christ as true.

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?" Rom 10:14

""For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but hold eternal life." John 3:16

Note that 'believes' in John 3:16 is a present active participle - an ongoing state of the individual, not a one-time past gift of Christ. Eternal life is contingent on the individual remaining in faith.

Heb 12:2 is not saying that Jesus gives us our faith - rather that He is the *reason* for our faith. It's important to look at the actual underlying Greek and other scripture - not just pull out connotations from English translations.

Heb 12:2 tells us that Jesus Himself is the "pioneer and perfecter of faith". 'Perfecter' of faith, in the context of Heb 12:1-13, is how our faith is refined through trials and discipline. Because it is Jesus who refines our faith, we then can endure anything for the Joy set before us. Paul lists many things we can do as we focus on our Hope in Christ; throw off what hinders, run, consider Him, resist sin, endure hardship as discipline, strengthen our feeble arms, make level paths, etc.

Jesus is the 'pioneer' of our faith; this is the greek 'archégos' - it means 'the first in a long procession'; the founder of a movement or a file-leader. Jesus is the firstborn among many brethren (Rom 8:28-30), and through Him we receive the promise of the Spirit (Gal 3:13-14).

"Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect (finished), he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him". Heb 5:9
What does it mean that Jesus is the author and perfecter of our faith?

Another verse often misused is Eph 2:8. Many (mostly Calvinists) claim that "faith" here is the gift, but that is an impossible rendering given the grammar of the Greek. 'Faith' and 'grace' are in the feminine gender, but the gift of God is in the neuter gender. In Greek, this then applies the 'gift' to the entire clause. Salvation, by grace and *through* faith, is the gift of God.
What does it mean that it is by grace we have been saved, through faith, and that this is not of ourselves but is the gift of God?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
How about "Christian believer" "Born again saint" "Bible-believer" ? They are good names and don't reveal any theological bias.

Wesleyan Methodists and Nazarenes are Arminian in their theology. Certain Pentecostal groups that came out from the Methodist Holiness movement have a strong Arminian emphasis. The first guy that gave that theory was Arminius (no surprises there). There may be a good account of him and what he believed on Wikipedia.

These days most Pentecostal denominations are extreme catholic (works based) that is, they state that God blesses those who pay tithes, live holy, be loyal to the pastor etc.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
These days most Pentecostal denominations are extreme catholic (works based) that is, they state that God blesses those who pay tithes, live holy, be loyal to the pastor etc.
There is a lot of that creeping into those churches. I didn't have a really clear appreciation of where I stood with Christ until I became a member of a Presbyterian church. In the 12 years I was in the Pentecostal movement no one ever taught me about what the righteousness of Christ was all about. I thought that it was that I had to work on being Christlike, when in actual fact all my efforts were just making me self-righteous, and that the righteousness of Christ is a gift that is bestowed after all our sins, past, present and future are nailed to the cross with Christ.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
1. Certainly, man wasn't created considering the ramifications of their actions of right and wrong, but I am not sure how that would prove the previous assertion that God "created evil?"

2. What specific "people" consider eternal life as an entitlement and believe faith "earns" eternal life? Again, please show what people believe this - do not just assert it. Is there a prominent Christian teacher or specific mainstream denomination which claims such a thing?

Christianity holds that it was Jesus' work on the cross that earned eternal life on our behalf. Faith is the method God offered for us to receive it. Trusting that God keeps His word, and grants the promises to those who respond to the gospel in faith - is not expecting an 'entitlement' due to something in ourselves, but upholding the grace, sovereignty, and trustworthy character of God. God has given those with faith the Holy Spirit as down-payment for a future inheritance. We don't expect that future inheritance because we are 'owed' it due to our merit, but because God *promised* in His grace that those with faith would receive it, having entered a new covenant with us. Trusting God to make good on His promises, offered in grace, is not believing ourselves 'deserving' of that grace or those promises. It's about the character and work of God, not our goodness or merit.

Scripture makes the point repeatedly that faith is contrary to boasting. By it's very nature, faith is rooted in humility - not in pride or entitlement.
What does it mean in Rom 3:27 that boasting is excluded because of the law that requires faith?

3. Faith is man's response to the gospel, accepting God's persuasion of the reality of Christ as true.

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?" Rom 10:14

""For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but hold eternal life." John 3:16

Note that 'believes' in John 3:16 is a present active participle - an ongoing state of the individual, not a one-time past gift of Christ. Eternal life is contingent on the individual remaining in faith.

Heb 12:2 is not saying that Jesus gives us our faith - rather that He is the *reason* for our faith. It's important to look at the actual underlying Greek and other scripture - not just pull out connotations from English translations.

Heb 12:2 tells us that Jesus Himself is the "pioneer and perfecter of faith". 'Perfecter' of faith, in the context of Heb 12:1-13, is how our faith is refined through trials and discipline. Because it is Jesus who refines our faith, we then can endure anything for the Joy set before us. Paul lists many things we can do as we focus on our Hope in Christ; throw off what hinders, run, consider Him, resist sin, endure hardship as discipline, strengthen our feeble arms, make level paths, etc.

Jesus is the 'pioneer' of our faith; this is the greek 'archégos' - it means 'the first in a long procession'; the founder of a movement or a file-leader. Jesus is the firstborn among many brethren (Rom 8:28-30), and through Him we receive the promise of the Spirit (Gal 3:13-14).

"Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect (finished), he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him". Heb 5:9
What does it mean that Jesus is the author and perfecter of our faith?

Another verse often misused is Eph 2:8. Many (mostly Calvinists) claim that "faith" here is the gift, but that is an impossible rendering given the grammar of the Greek. 'Faith' and 'grace' are in the feminine gender, but the gift of God is in the neuter gender. In Greek, this then applies the 'gift' to the entire clause. Salvation, by grace and *through* faith, is the gift of God.
What does it mean that it is by grace we have been saved, through faith, and that this is not of ourselves but is the gift of God?

1. Evil in Isaiah 45:7 is the opposite of peace.

2. John 17:3: And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

When people say that without believing and confessing one cannot be saved, they are trusting in their actions rather than trust His will which saved them.

Believing and confessing only glorifies Jesus, they are done because one is saved and not to be saved.

3. Faith cannot be produced (Acts 3:16 - yea, the faith which is by him).

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
but your term does not match my experience

your term matches an experience with a different timeline and dynamics

so don't use that inaccurate term to describe my experience

i reject the tenets of synergism completely and ask that you never again label my experience with that inaccurate term

i am no more synergistic than you are

please respect my beliefs and not impose your beliefs/doctrines/labels on me

The chronological order of human experience is common:

1 Timothy 1

14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

The order is grace causes or produces faith & not the other way round. Man cannot produce faith.

One who says, "I received salvation by my faith or else I would not have been saved", has not understand that faith is a free gift nor has he understood the power of the revelation of His love.

• Winner
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might." II Thess 1:8-9

Scripture treats Gehenna as the punishment/sentence itself, which could be explained in English as 'paying for the crime.' (Mk 9:43-47, Matt 10:48, Matt 23:23, Lk 12:5, Matt 5:22, Jn 5:29.

Those who know God/obey the gospel are exempt from this penalty since they have life given by Christ and Christ's imputed righteousness. Jesus Himself never paid the penalty of eternal destruction or suffered the fires of Gehenna.

Rather, He experienced physical suffering for us all and physically died that we might live through Him.

Is 53 prophetically describes this:

"...He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.
Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.
He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.b
He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.
Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied; (something no one condemned to hell will ever have)
by his knowledgef my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.
Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors..."
Isaiah 53 is truly a wonderful chapter; the Messianic character of such Old Testament passages is so heartening.

• Agree
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Romans 9:15. Only of the elect.
Yes and the elect have a great responsibility for to whom much is given much is required. I have seen all too many instances where "the elect " failed to show the mercy to others that God had shown to them so maybe they were not the elect after all . A changed head but not a changed heart .

Are we being transformed into His image ? Though we are justified by His blood , I find the sanctification process is difficult though we have the promise that He that started a work will finish it . Not everyone who says Lord , Lord will enter the Kingdom of heaven but he that does the will of the Father. If the righteous scarcely be saved wherefore will the ungodly and sinner appear ? And what is Godly ? The just dying for the unjust . For it is not only given to you to believe on Him but also to suffer for His sake . God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were yet sinners , Christ died for us. Do we despise others who are ungodly, atheist , Buddhist , Moslems, Jewish ? And if God had looked on our condition and treated us accordingly , what then ?

Do we agree with Paul 1 timothy 2:1 that , First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving be offered on behalf of all men 2for kings and all those in authority, so that we may lead tranquil and quiet lives in all godliness and dignity. 3This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I guess election should work humility and fear ..especially for gentiles for if God did not spare the natural branch ????? ( This was written to "the saved " .

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Yes and the elect have a great responsibility for to whom much is given much is required. I have seen all too many instances where "the elect " failed to show the mercy to others that God had shown to them so maybe they were not the elect after all . A changed head but not a changed heart .

Are we being transformed into His image ? Though we are justified by His blood , I find the sanctification process is difficult though we have the promise that He that started a work will finish it . Not everyone who says Lord , Lord will enter the Kingdom of heaven but he that does the will of the Father. If the righteous scarcely be saved wherefore will the ungodly and sinner appear ? And what is Godly ? The just dying for the unjust . For it is not only given to you to believe on Him but also to suffer for His sake . God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were yet sinners , Christ died for us. Do we despise others who are ungodly, atheist , Buddhist , Moslems, Jewish ? And if God had looked on our condition and treated us accordingly , what then ?

Do we agree with Paul 1 timothy 2:1 that , First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving be offered on behalf of all men 2for kings and all those in authority, so that we may lead tranquil and quiet lives in all godliness and dignity. 3This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I guess election should work humility and fear ..especially for gentiles for if God did not spare the natural branch ????? ( This was written to "the saved " .

1 Corinthians 15:10

Not we but His grace works through us. So how can responsibility be in man?

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi brother ...Of course this is the debate that has divided almost from the beginning and it is something with which ( by God's Grace ) I still grapple. Grace is of course unmerited favor and from personal experience , I was not looking for the Lord but He came and found me when like the prodigal son , I was for all practical purposes dead . ( I was a believer but had no fear of God , no conscience against sin , no desire for holiness and no concern for my own soul nor those of my family. ) It goes without saying , I did not know God nor had I any love for Him.

I am awed at the humility which Christ demonstrated so likewise I take it mean that God , the Father is also lowly and meek. From Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Any effort on our part works pride and sends us in the wrong direction . And also we know that that no man can come unto Christ unless the Father first call him. Does not that grace ( and mercy ) that God has demonstrated through His unspeakable gift , compel us to seek Him and be transformed into His image ? Without faith it is impossible to please God for you must believe that He is and He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him . Does that not compel us to sell all and " buy the field " as it were seeing by faith the value of a Godly life ? To whom much is given , much is required said God through His living Word. It is by grace but that grace has a cost and it will cost us as well . We are saved by grace through faith which worketh by love ...Jesus go make disciples , teaching them to observe all that I commanded you ..etc. ..so there is work to be done in His name ...Paul said let the older women teach the younger women to love their husbands and their children ...so again Grace and mercy compels us to work . And there will be no boasting unless a great sinner has something to boast in apart from God's grace and mercy to those who deserve the worst hell .
But it does seem that grace ( from a theological standpoint ) has allowed much wantoness and election has worked pride and often no mercy or compassion . ( In other words , almost the exact response of Israel who God chose despite their ungodliness ....we are God's chosen and YOU are wicked . ) I have a problem with the whole calvin and Michael Severus situation ..not to mention christianity's history of joining forces with the world via politics to wage war . Can a sinner who has been shown mercy show else to their enemies ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Hi brother ...Of course this is the debate that has divided almost from the beginning and it is something with which ( by God's Grace ) I still grapple. Grace is of course unmerited favor and from personal experience , I was not looking for the Lord but He came and found me when like the prodigal son , I was for all practical purposes dead . ( I was a believer but had no fear of God , no conscience against sin , no desire for holiness and no concern for my own soul nor those of my family. ) It goes without saying , I did not know God nor had I any love for Him.

I am awed at the humility which Christ demonstrated so likewise I take it mean that God , the Father is also lowly and meek. From Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Any effort on our part works pride and sends us in the wrong direction . And also we know that that no man can come unto Christ unless the Father first call him. Does not that grace ( and mercy ) that God has demonstrated through His unspeakable gift , compel us to seek Him and be transformed into His image ? Without faith it is impossible to please God for you must believe that He is and He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him . Does that not compel us to sell all and " buy the field " as it were seeing by faith the value of a Godly life ? To whom much is given , much is required said God through His living Word. It is by grace but that grace has a cost and it will cost us as well . We are saved by grace through faith which worketh by love ...Jesus go make disciples , teaching them to observe all that I commanded you ..etc. ..so there is work to be done in His name ...Paul said let the older women teach the younger women to love their husbands and their children ...so again Grace and mercy compels us to work . And there will be no boasting unless a great sinner has something to boast in apart from God's grace and mercy to those who deserve the worst hell .
But it does seem that grace ( from a theological standpoint ) has allowed much wantoness and election has worked pride and often no mercy or compassion . ( In other words , almost the exact response of Israel who God chose despite their ungodliness ....we are God's chosen and YOU are wicked . ) I have a problem with the whole calvin and Michael Severus situation ..not to mention christianity's history of joining forces with the world via politics to wage war . Can a sinner who has been shown mercy show else to their enemies ?

Pride is saying, "I chose Jesus as Lord by my will which is free and independent of the knowledge and assurance that God gives".
Humility is just the opposite.

Secondly did Joshua wage war? Did he lack mercy?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Let's take three common issues and show why they are valid criticisms in light of Calvin's own words: 1) God authoring evil, 2) God predestining to Hell, and 3) free will.

1.) I have heard Calvinists deny that God directly authors sin, but I have never heard them deny that he authors evil. It is the critics of Calvinism who go to great lengths not to notice Isaiah 45.7.

2.) I have likewise never the Calvinists deny that God reprobate some to hell. In fact the Westminster Confession explicitly affirms that he does.

3.) That God foreordains whatsoever comes to pass is, again, explicitly affirmed by the Westminster Confession.

So all the things which, according to you, Calvinists deny, they do, in fact, explicitly affirm.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Pride is saying, "I chose Jesus as Lord by my will which is free and independent of the knowledge and assurance that God gives".
Humility is just the opposite.

Secondly did Joshua wage war? Did he lack mercy?
Yes ..God chose Israel but eventually they felt entitled and misrepresented His grace. Many are called but few are chosen.
Choose ye this day who you will serve . This last statement was a statement of faith based on God's grace . It was a statement of being able to view God's goodness ( which is but by grace. ) It is why Jesus said , He that has ears to hear , let them hear. With that said , He also says Ask and it shall be given and God has already shown His abundant love and is not stingy ( I am not speaking of carnal things. ) God is unchanging . He is faithful because of who He is and can not be otherwise . He tell us to be kind and merciful ..is He less than He ask us to be ? Jesus chastised the pharisees that passed over the love of God . God was misrepresented.
It was written ..but I say . That sounds like a change as indeed it is . It was big change when God became man through His Son . The new covenant is a better and lasting covenant . The old covenant was about a piece of dirt called the promised land . Men still fight and kill over that which is not theirs and justify it by residing in the old covenant examples without keeping anything else of the old covenant except the right to wage war in God's name . It is called putting new wine in old wine skins.
Joshua did indeed wage war ...Phenias slew many to stop the plague. Had these things not occurred , Israel may have ceased to exist. The cancerous tumor always thinks the physician inhumane , a ruthless killer and lacking mercy. So did Joshua show mercy ? Yes , to Israel but again , that was under the old covenant and according to the purposes of God . If there is not a new covenant , how can Christ be a priest since in the flesh He is from the tribe of Judah .

Brother , I don't know what is anyone else's heart but personally I can not go to war or commit violence ...I was not and am not perfect enough . There may be some who are and have always be perfect and sinless ..They may exact vengeance ..but I am not crazy about self righteousness. I just am not in a place to do that having received mercy . Besides , God has appointed those still under the law to administer the law . And the law is good but it is for the lawless . The world operates from the tree called the knowledge of good and evil but eating from that tree will bring death as it always must . It will never yield eternal life.

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be fair with Isa 45:22 that word for darkness is #2822 in the Strong's concordance and looking at the verse and noticing that it speaks of the darkness of creation, light and dark as in Gen 1:2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. That does not appear as being the word evil in the KJ nor NAS. The word for evil like Gen2:9 And out of the ground the Lord God made every tree grow that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. That is in Strong's #7451 and doing evil is #7489 and one can look into the other ways it is used according to Strong's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes ..God chose Israel but eventually they felt entitled and misrepresented His grace. Many are called but few are chosen.
Choose ye this day who you will serve . This last statement was a statement of faith based on God's grace . It was a statement of being able to view God's goodness ( which is but by grace. ) It is why Jesus said , He that has ears to hear , let them hear. With that said , He also says Ask and it shall be given and God has already shown His abundant love and is not stingy ( I am not speaking of carnal things. ) God is unchanging . He is faithful because of who He is and can not be otherwise . He tell us to be kind and merciful ..is He less than He ask us to be ? Jesus chastised the pharisees that passed over the love of God . God was misrepresented.
It was written ..but I say . That sounds like a change as indeed it is . It was big change when God became man through His Son . The new covenant is a better and lasting covenant . The old covenant was about a piece of dirt called the promised land . Men still fight and kill over that which is not theirs and justify it by residing in the old covenant examples without keeping anything else of the old covenant except the right to wage war in God's name . It is called putting new wine in old wine skins.
Joshua did indeed wage war ...Phenias slew many to stop the plague. Had these things not occurred , Israel may have ceased to exist. The cancerous tumor always thinks the physician inhumane , a ruthless killer and lacking mercy. So did Joshua show mercy ? Yes , to Israel but again , that was under the old covenant and according to the purposes of God . If there is not a new covenant , how can Christ be a priest since in the flesh He is from the tribe of Judah .

Brother , I don't know what is anyone else's heart but personally I can not go to war or commit violence ...I was not and am not perfect enough . There may be some who are and have always be perfect and sinless ..They may exact vengeance ..but I am not crazy about self righteousness. I just am not in a place to do that having received mercy . Besides , God has appointed those still under the law to administer the law . And the law is good but it is for the lawless . The world operates from the tree called the knowledge of good and evil but eating from that tree will bring death as it always must . It will never yield eternal life.
This view of the OT is surely yours and maybe others but the OT is not nor ever was like you state here about a piece of land, it was and is about God's will and purpose being carried out in the manner which He desires. As far as wars or capital punishment goes, how do you deal with Rom 13:1-5 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake.

Of course you are entitled to your belief but it should not contradict the word of God.

Upvote 0