• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Quitting smoking starting now.

shawn222

Jul 12, 2009
detroit
✟7,648.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well i woke up and smoked a half of a ciggarette.
Only a half because i submitted to my cravings and found some tobacco in the bottom of a bag and rolled it in a ciggarette tube.

Now for the rest of the day- Going to pray that i, as well as all of you who are trying to quit smoking won't submit to our nicotine cravings and get over smoking for good.

I kind of feel like i am using this thread as a log for my progress! lol

Gilbert Funk

Aug 28, 2009
✟233.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Be strong. It is tough, but I did it three years ago and am grateful that I hung in there. I almost never even miss it anymore, and the smell of it from other people actually bothers me now.

The first two weeks are the hardest, but depending on how long and how much you smoked will determine how much side effects you suffer. I had terrible side effects for longer than I thought I would.

You can do it if you choose to. Giving in to the cravings is weakness, so be strong and consider the pain and suffering your due for all the abuse you gave your temple.

Upvote 0

shawn222

Jul 12, 2009
detroit
✟7,648.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
It was such a dumb thing for me to start! I've been smoking for about 7 years now... i am 21. I am scared to see what my lungs look like. Lately i've had hard times of breathing, and i'm scared to keep smoking. Not only that but waking up with the smoke taste and constant bad breath, it is so nasty... but for some reason smoking makes me feel good.

Upvote 0
U

UnitynLove

It was such a dumb thing for me to start! I've been smoking for about 7 years now... i am 21. I am scared to see what my lungs look like. Lately i've had hard times of breathing, and i'm scared to keep smoking. Not only that but waking up with the smoke taste and constant bad breath, it is so nasty... but for some reason smoking makes me feel good.

Check out this quote
When you are struggling with problems/troubles you need to get your eyes off of your weakness/habit and get your mind on God. The bible says: "Walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh." What does that mean: Read the bible more, listen to good music, praising and worshipping God, less time worrying, less time trying to figure out your problems, less time struggling, less time being afraid that if you don't overcome this God will reject you and more time just Hanging on the vine. Guess what? God will give you the strength to overcome that weakness and that flaw. If you are struggling with something you don't need to put more effort in it you need to spend more time with God, you don't need to call up four friends ask them what to do you need to spend more time with God. - Joyce Meyer

YouTube - TogetherInWorship's Channel

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2010
Australia
✟15,133.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I know! I've spent days just dying for a cigarette AND you wouldn't
believe what happened yesterday either. I was coming down the escalators at a shopping centre and on the ground was an unopened packet of cigarettes someone had dropped. What is the likelihood of that?

I walked straight on by.

I also nearly went to the shop for a packet tonight, I thought there's no way I can go another moment of torture and these cravings aren't letting up and even thinking why am I subjecting myself to this suffering? I mean, I can't even sleep anymore - I lie awake until about dawn and sometimes my body moves about involuntarily I think from seriously pinched nerves. Not to mention the depression and boredom and relentless craving for a cigarette.

... then I think about how God has better ideals for me than smoking and I pray for his help. I also remind myself that these withdrawal symptoms are natural and no matter how tough it gets, smoking is still the more unhealthy choice. Not to mention that I do actually want to be a faithful servant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bella1958

May 10, 2010
Gainesville, Ga
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have been quit for 7 days now. I have been debating with myself on and off all day on whether I am going to the store to buy a pack of cigs. Well, I won! I'm not going. LOL Hang in there, it will get easier..................at least I hope so.

Upvote 0

a1ex

Dec 22, 2009
✟15,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another thing to consider is that smoking is a mental problem as well.
The habit causes the craving.

The reason for this is that smoking becomes let's say an "automatism".

If the action of smoking is not carried out for some time your brain tells you it is time to smoke because it belongs to your daily routine.

Avoid situations you usually smoke (for instance smoking and drinking coffee).
Keep yourself distracted. Do something that keeps your thoughts far away from cigarettes.

This helped for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Around five years ago, I quit cold turkey...I had one strong patch left from a previous attempt, put it on, kept it on for twenty four hours, and said to my self.."Self, if I could go one day without a cigarette, I wonder how much longer I can go?"
I didn't have the first craving, and have been smoke free since.
When I ceased the nasty habit, I had been smoking for over thirty five years, and was up to two and a half packs a day.
I got fed up with the house stinking, me smelling like an ash tray,coughing and puking almost every morning, and yellow teeth.The cost got out of control too.
The main reason I stopped ,however, was my eldest grandson...he was born with asthma, and was living with us at the time. My family's health trumps all other reasons to stop.
If I can do it, anybody can!
Peace, and God Bless!

Upvote 0