• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions of Adolescence

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by A Teenager, Sep 8, 2017.

1. A Teenager

A Teenager New Member

+1
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I have made some conversations with close family members and friends, but I would like to get some opinions from here, as well.

1) Is it a sin if a teenager has masturbated a few times in order to get prepared for adult life ? Without the use of explicit content.

2) Is it a sin if a couple kisses before marriage?

3) Is it a sin if a couple has sex before marriage?

Thanks in advance...

2. Jane_Doe

Jane_Doe Well-Known Member

+453
    Mormon
    Yes. Sexual things are reserved for marriage. Childishly abusing sexuality is not "preparation for adult life".
    No.
    Yes. Again, sexuality is reserved for marriage, not before.

3. Dave-W

Dave-W Our six grandchildren Supporter

+5,618
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I will agree with Jane Doe 100% on questions 2 and 3; but only partly on question 1.

I will agree that masturbating is not really preparation for adult life. But I do not agree that it is necessarily sinful; nor that it is "childishly abusing sexuality."

Not finding at least occasional relief/resolution to the hormone driven sex drive is to turn something God-designed and given as a good gift into an enemy.

I know that runs counter to your church's teaching on the subject. So if you feel you have to make confession when you do that - go ahead. I will guarantee your priest has heard that one a dozen times or more - and that is just this week.

Edited to add:

It is good to avoid the explicit stuff as that can become addictive.
    And out of curiosity, what did your family members and friends have to say on the subject?

4. Dave-W

+5,618
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    BTW - I just noticed that was your first post.

Welcome to the Forums!

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal

+221
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    1. Masturbation remains controversial. Those of us who hold it to be acceptable (on the same level as nocturnal emissions) will point out that it is only wrong if done in the context of lust for a person who is not your spouse (per Jesus, Matthew 5:27-28) or publicly, which is immodest. Remember, even babies masturbate but it certainly isn't in a lustful context for them.
    2. Kissing is part of the process of courting, unto marriage. If you are kissing in any other context, it is wrong or, at least, a source of temptation.

"Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart." 2 Timothy 2:22 KJV
    3. I agree with the Jane Doe.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  6. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+2,095
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Standards differ among Christian communities. In the US, except in the most conservative communities, 1 and 2 would be OK. 3 would not. However you're Orthodox from Greece. If you care what your own community teaches (and as Orthodox, you should), you are likely to find a different answer. Definitely to 1. I don't know about dating.

7. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

+3,624
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Welcome A teenager. Hope you come back.
    I'm be interested in know what your family and close friends told you as well.
    I'm thinking your orthodox church would be no yes no.

I'm a no on all 3 if don't in a way that doesn't hurt anyone.

8. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal

+221
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    In regards to #3:
    When two people are otherwise eligible, I believe that the Bible teaches that consummation equals marriage. See Genesis 2:24, 1 Corinthians 6:16 & Genesis 24:67

If they remain sexually exclusive going forward (until death do them part), they haven't violated God's Word.

Of course, you should pass other important milestones in your relationship, first.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  9. Nithavela

Nithavela Unseasonably seasonal

+5,497
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Sin is whatever you believe it is.

10. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+2,095
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Note that the OP hasnt logged in since posting the message.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Nithavela

Nithavela Unseasonably seasonal

+5,497
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Propably busy playing call of duty. Or maybe he found his dad's playboy collection.

12. Episaw

Episaw Always learning

+298
    Non-Denom
    Married
    AU-Liberals
    All sex before marriage is a sin according to the bible. I gave a message to my church about this as it is predominately young people.

At the same time, there is nothing at all specific about masturbation in the Bible. That does not mean it is right (or wrong).

My instructions were that when one becomes obsessive with their masturbation they know they are in trouble because it is controlling them.

A homosexual can masturbate three times a day because their sexual identity has control of them.

A heterosexual can masturbate once a day because their sexual identity has control of them.

No one needs to masturbate because nearly everyone has a self-control mechanism built into the body that sees it ejaculate voluntary when it needs to usually at night when they are asleep.

13. Dave-W

+5,618
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    "wet dreams"

Except that only happens with 40% of men. If you want the source of that research you can ask Paul Byerly, listowner at www.themarriagebed [dot] com.

As Paul B wrote, (and I experienced) the rest of us have the dream but wake up about a second or 2 before the "wet" part and that leaves you in a VERY BAD place.

14. Episaw

Episaw Always learning

+298
    Non-Denom
    Married
    AU-Liberals

15. Dave-W

+5,618
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    ???

You have a comment?

16. Episaw

Episaw Always learning

+298
    Non-Denom
    Married
    AU-Liberals
    NO. It was one of those computer glitches moment.

17. Dave-W

+5,618
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I hate it when that happens.

18. The Brown Brink

The Brown Brink Well-Known Member

+160
    Christian
    Married
    If you define sin as "that which causes pain," then you can see why sex is sometimes called sinful.

Sex can create pain.
    It can create heartbreak.
    It can create children who can also suffer pain and heartbreak.

Sex is dangerous stuff.

Yet it's natural to seek it out.
    To look for it.
    It answers something in our primal mind.
    Denied, it can become perverted and overwhelming.
    Overindulged, it can create much woe.

Sex is dangerous stuff.

Be careful with it.

19. Dave-W

+5,618
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I do not. I have seen no scripture that even hints of that; unless one stretches "the wages of sin is death" to include pain.

20. The Brown Brink

The Brown Brink Well-Known Member

+160
    Christian
    Married
    Think about it, dude.
    What do all sins have in common?

They all cause pain.