Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
Okay, let me see if I can get this straight. Mary was not sinless on her own accord; like Jesus was.

Correct

She was made sinless by God?

I would say kept sinless by God.

Did this happen before or after the advent of Christ.

Before, in preparation for Christ, if I understand your question correctly.

And isnt this the same thing God is doing in all of us. Because of our faith in Christ, aren't we considered sinless; that is we still sin but we are seen through the atoning blood of Christ, without sin?

I would say same result, different method.

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I should point out that a belief in the sinlessness of Mary is not a requirement of the Orthodox Church. Every Orthodox I know believes it, but it is not a requirement. The only required belief is that she is the Theotokos, God-Bearer. The belief is actually a Christological belief, not Mariological.

(Brothers, correct me if I'm in error)

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that is correct Philip. It is not required to believe this as it does not directly affect the nature of Christ or our Salvation. IIRC, this is one of the questions that determine whether it is a required belief.

Upvote 0

forgivin

Christian, Gamer, DJ
Oct 6, 2003
Atlanta,GA. (Snellville)/ Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟8,129.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
What We Believe

We are an independent body of believers under the lordship of Jesus Christ and the authority of the Bible.
1 Corinthians 15:27-28; Revelation 22:13

We believe in a triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Matthew 11:27; Acts 1:2,8

We believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God.
John 1:1; 2 Timothy 3:16-17

We believe that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin. We further believe that Christ was crucified, died, and rose on the third day.
Matthew 1:18-19; I Corinthians 15:20-26

We believe that the divinity of Christ is the fundamental truth of Christianity, our faith.
John 3:35-36; Matthew 11:27

We believe that we have been charged by Jesus Christ with a Great Commission to carry the Word of God to a lost and dying world.
Mark 13:10; Matthew 28:19-20

We believe that Jesus will one day return to earth and reign forever as King of kings and Lord of lords.
I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Acts 1:6-7

We practice the ordinance of baptism by immersion in accordance with the example of Jesus Christ.
Matthew 3:15-17; Luke 4:21-22

We practice the ordinance of communion on a weekly basis. We believe that the opportunity to participate in this ordinance is an expression of God's love for His children.
Luke 22:17-20; Matthew 26:26-28

We believe in the unity of believers based on the authority of Christ and God's Holy Scriptures.
Ephesians 4:1-5; Acts 2:42-47

What We Practice

Beliefs are not worth much unless they are translated into actions. Based on what the bible teaches, we believe that each and every person is a unique child of God. We further believe that we can make a difference in the life of our church by teaching and discipling believers to be different in the following areas of life:

Personal Study

We believe that fully developed Christians do not just "happen." They develop through knowledge of God's word and a personal relationship with God the Father and His son, Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 4:11-14; Colossians 1:28-29; II Timothy 3:16,17

Family Teaching

We believe that Christian parents raise Christian children and special efforts must be made to teach God's principles about family living.

Deuteronomy 6:1-9; Ephesians 6:1-4; I Peter 3:1-7

Sharing of Christ through Friendship

We believe that the excitement of living for Jesus Christ is enhanced through friends who share a life in Christ.

John 15:12-15; Acts 2:42-46; Acts 4:32-35

Touching Our Community

We believe that we have the joy of being God's representatives to touch the lives of the non-churched. We seek to encourage and equip believers in making disciples from among our family, friends, and business acquaintances.

Matthew 28:19,20; Acts 1:8; II Corinthians 5:20,21

Reaching Our World

We believe that we have been called to make a difference throughout the world by our church's active involvement in world mission service and support.

Matthew 9:36-38; Luke 10:1,2; II Corinthians 9:10-15

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Philip said:
I should point out that a belief in the sinlessness of Mary is not a requirement of the Orthodox Church. Every Orthodox I know believes it, but it is not a requirement. The only required belief is that she is the Theotokos, God-Bearer. The belief is actually a Christological belief, not Mariological.

(Brothers, correct me if I'm in error)
Thank you for your posts, I understand what you are saying. It actually makes sence.

But, bear with me now, The Theotokos; is the event of Mary's ascent into heaven? Or is it the belief that she bore the Christ?

Excuse my ignorance.

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
forgivin said:
What We Believe

We are an independent body of believers under the lordship of Jesus Christ and the authority of the Bible.

We believe that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin. We further believe that Christ was crucified, died, and rose on the third day.

We believe that the divinity of Christ is the fundamental truth of Christianity, our faith.

We believe that we have been charged by Jesus Christ with a Great Commission to carry the Word of God to a lost and dying world.

We believe that Jesus will one day return to earth and reign forever as King of kings and Lord of lords.

We practice the ordinance of baptism by immersion in accordance with the example of Jesus Christ.

We practice the ordinance of communion on a weekly basis. We believe that the opportunity to participate in this ordinance is an expression of God's love for His children.

We believe in the unity of believers based on the authority of Christ and God's Holy Scriptures.

What We Practice

Beliefs are not worth much unless they are translated into actions. Based on what the bible teaches, we believe that each and every person is a unique child of God. We further believe that we can make a difference in the life of our church by teaching and discipling believers to be different in the following areas of life:

Personal Study

We believe that fully developed Christians do not just "happen." They develop through knowledge of God's word and a personal relationship with God the Father and His son, Jesus Christ.

Family Teaching

We believe that Christian parents raise Christian children and special efforts must be made to teach God's principles about family living.

We believe that the excitement of living for Jesus Christ is enhanced through friends who share a life in Christ.

Touching Our Community

We believe that we have the joy of being God's representatives to touch the lives of the non-churched. We seek to encourage and equip believers in making disciples from among our family, friends, and business acquaintances.

Reaching Our World

We believe that we have been called to make a difference throughout the world by our church's active involvement in world mission service and support.

This is wonderful!! Thank you so much. I agree with each of these!! Thank you.

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
Thank you for your posts, I understand what you are saying. It actually makes sence.

:clap:

But, bear with me now, The Theotokos; is the event of Mary's ascent into heaven? Or is it the belief that she bore the Christ?

Theotokos is Greek for "God-bearer". It is often translated "Mother of God". We acknowledge Mary as Theotokos because to prevent two different heresies: that Christ is not fully God and that Christ was not born the Son of God, but adopted by God.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
Because of our faith in Christ, aren't we considered sinless; that is we still sin but we are seen through the atoning blood of Christ, without sin?

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!
If I am not mistaken, this being "seen through the atoning blood of Christ without sin" is foreign to Orthodoxy. Doesn't this idea go along with the theology of satisfactionism?

Through Christ, it is not God's view of us that changes, but there is a change within us....the process of purification (which is lifelong).

Reactions: Reader Nilus
Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Photini said:
If I am not mistaken, this being "seen through the atoning blood of Christ without sin" is foreign to Orthodoxy. Doesn't this idea go along with the theology of satisfactionism?

Through Christ, it is not God's view of us that changes, but there is a change within us....the process of purification (which is lifelong).

Photini,

You are certainly correct. I don't think I have heard it called sactisfactionism before, but I like the term.

I53,
We have a view of justification (although we rarely use that term) that differs from the Western view. I will be happy to discuss it with you as best I can, but is definitely meat and not milk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

forgivin

Christian, Gamer, DJ
Oct 6, 2003
Atlanta,GA. (Snellville)/ Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟8,129.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
forgivin said:
What We Believe

What We Practice

Personal Study

Family Teaching

Touching Our Community

Reaching Our World

In a PM I got, I was corrected and I apolagize for this post. the heading read "Questions about your Church!!" I did not realize what the whole thread was about, I just saw the header and jumped right in with the answers about my church.:sigh:

Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Orthodox Church- Telling The Truth Since 33 A.D.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟12,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
forgivin said:
In a PM I got, I was corrected and I apolagize for this post. the heading read "Questions about your Church!!" I did not realize what the whole thread was about, I just saw the header and jumped right in with the answers about my church.:sigh:

That's okay.;)

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Philip said:
I53,
We have a view of justification (although we rarely use that term) that differs from the Western view. I will be happy to discuss it with you as best I can, but is definitely meat and not milk.

Please, explain. Im all ears.

PEACE IN CHRIST!!

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
forgivin said:
Oh, so that is not what the Orthodox Church believes? Do you have something similiar? I read through some of the sites you all gave me. But, really do you have a statement of faith similiar to this?

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 53 said:
Oh, so that is not what the Orthodox Church believes? Do you have something similiar? I read through some of the sites you all gave me. But, really do you have a statement of faith similiar to this?

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

It's kinda old but perhaps it'll do :)

The Orthodox Church gave us the Sacred Creed of Faith. This Creed which was prepared with great wisdom and prudence, as well as with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, contains our Orthodox beliefs in a few, concise words. “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the Churches” (Revelation 2:7).

There are 12 articles included in the Nicene Creed which define the most important doctrines (dogmas) of our faith in the following order:

Article 1 - God the Father.
Articles 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 - The Son of God, our Lord Jesus Christ
Article 8 – The Church
Article 10 – Holy Baptism
Article 11 – The Resurrection of the dead.
Article 12 – The Second Coming, or Judgment Day.

I would like to present to you references from Holy Scripture to the Nicene-Creed:

I believe in (Romans 10: 8-10; 1 John 4: 15)
One God (Deuteronomy 6: 4, Ephesians 4: 6)
Father (Matthew 6: 9)
Almighty, (Exodus 6: 3)
Creator of heaven and earth, (Genesis 1: 1)
and of all things visible and invisible; (Colossians 1: 15-16) and in one Lord, Jesus Christ, (Acts 11: 17)
Son of God (Matthew 14: 33; 16: 16)
begotten (John 1: 18; 3: 16)
begotten of the Father before all ages; (John 1: 2)
Light of Light (Psalm 27: I; John 8: 12; Matthew 17: 2,5)
true God of true God, (John 17: 1-5)
of one essence with the Father, (John 10: 30)
through Whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1: 1-2)
Who for us and for our salvation (I Timothy 2: 4-5)
came down from the heavens ((John 6: 33,35)
and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, (Luke 1: 35)
and became man. (John 1: 14)
Crucified for us (Mark 15: 25; I Corinthians 15: 3)
under Pontius Pilate, (John 1: 14)
He suffered, (Mark 8: 31)
and was buried; (Luke 23: 53; I Corinthians 15: 4)
Rising on the third day according to the Scriptures, (Luke 24: 1; 1 Cor. 15: 4)
And ascending into the heavens, (Luke 24: 51; Acts 1: 10)
He is seated at the right hand of the Father; (Mark 16: 19; Acts 7: 55)
And coming again in glory (Matthew 24: 27)
to judge the living and dead, (Acts 10: 42; 2 I Timothy 4: 1)
His kingodom shall have no end; (2 Peter 1: 11)
And in the holy Spirit, (John 14: 26)
Lord (Acts 5: 3-4)
the Giver of life, (Genesis 1: 2)
Who proceeds from the Father, (John 15: 26)
Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, (Matthew 3: 16-17)
Who spoke through the prophets; (I Samuel 19: 20; Ezekiel 11: 5, 13)
In one, (Matthew 16: 18)
holy, (I Peter 2: 5, 9)
catholic (Mark 16: 15)
and apostolic Church; (Acts 2: 42; Ephesians 2: 19-22)
I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; (Ephesians 4: 5)
I expect the resurrection of the dead; (John 11: 24; I Cor. 15: 12-49)
And the life of the age to come. (Mark 10: 29-30)
Amen. (Psalm 106:48)
(The translation used is from the text approved 1993 by His Eminence, Metropolitan Isaiah)

From here

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oblio said:
It's kinda old but perhaps it'll do :)

The Orthodox Church gave us the Sacred Creed of Faith. This Creed which was prepared with great wisdom and prudence, as well as with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, contains our Orthodox beliefs in a few, concise words. “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the Churches” (Revelation 2:7).

There are 12 articles included in the Nicene Creed which define the most important doctrines (dogmas) of our faith in the following order:

Article 1 - God the Father.
Articles 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 - The Son of God, our Lord Jesus Christ
Article 8 – The Church
Article 10 – Holy Baptism
Article 11 – The Resurrection of the dead.
Article 12 – The Second Coming, or Judgment Day.

I would like to present to you references from Holy Scripture to the Nicene-Creed:

I believe in (Romans 10: 8-10; 1 John 4: 15)
One God (Deuteronomy 6: 4, Ephesians 4: 6)
Father (Matthew 6: 9)
Almighty, (Exodus 6: 3)
Creator of heaven and earth, (Genesis 1: 1)
and of all things visible and invisible; (Colossians 1: 15-16) and in one Lord, Jesus Christ, (Acts 11: 17)
Son of God (Matthew 14: 33; 16: 16)
begotten (John 1: 18; 3: 16)
begotten of the Father before all ages; (John 1: 2)
Light of Light (Psalm 27: I; John 8: 12; Matthew 17: 2,5)
true God of true God, (John 17: 1-5)
of one essence with the Father, (John 10: 30)
through Whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1: 1-2)
Who for us and for our salvation (I Timothy 2: 4-5)
came down from the heavens ((John 6: 33,35)
and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, (Luke 1: 35)
and became man. (John 1: 14)
Crucified for us (Mark 15: 25; I Corinthians 15: 3)
under Pontius Pilate, (John 1: 14)
He suffered, (Mark 8: 31)
and was buried; (Luke 23: 53; I Corinthians 15: 4)
Rising on the third day according to the Scriptures, (Luke 24: 1; 1 Cor. 15: 4)
And ascending into the heavens, (Luke 24: 51; Acts 1: 10)
He is seated at the right hand of the Father; (Mark 16: 19; Acts 7: 55)
And coming again in glory (Matthew 24: 27)
to judge the living and dead, (Acts 10: 42; 2 I Timothy 4: 1)
His kingodom shall have no end; (2 Peter 1: 11)
And in the holy Spirit, (John 14: 26)
Lord (Acts 5: 3-4)
the Giver of life, (Genesis 1: 2)
Who proceeds from the Father, (John 15: 26)
Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, (Matthew 3: 16-17)
Who spoke through the prophets; (I Samuel 19: 20; Ezekiel 11: 5, 13)
In one, (Matthew 16: 18)
holy, (I Peter 2: 5, 9)
catholic (Mark 16: 15)
and apostolic Church; (Acts 2: 42; Ephesians 2: 19-22)
I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; (Ephesians 4: 5)
I expect the resurrection of the dead; (John 11: 24; I Cor. 15: 12-49)
And the life of the age to come. (Mark 10: 29-30)
Amen. (Psalm 106:48)
(The translation used is from the text approved 1993 by His Eminence, Metropolitan Isaiah)

From here

This is wonderful!! Thank You! I wonder if you all could do me a favor. Read through the statement posted by forgiven~Is there anything in his statement of faith you do not agree with? Thank you for your time!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I wouldn't say we are "independent". Rather we are united to all other Orthodox Christians in the one, holy, apostolic faith. We have a heirarchy of clergy: bishops, priests, and deacons, as the Apostles established.

We believe in the sacraments, meaning that there are experiences which unite God and man, and the Eucharist is certainly one of those moments. We believe in the true presence of Christ's body and blood.

I can go along with everything else, but we have more practices, such as living each day through the liturgical year, fasting, communal and private prayer, confession, having a spiritual father to help keep you on the straight and narrow.

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
This is wonderful!! Thank You! I wonder if you all could do me a favor. Read through the statement posted by forgiven~Is there anything in his statement of faith you do not agree with? Thank you for your time!!

I will try.

forgivin said:

We would question this. Of course, Christ is the Head of the Church, but we believe He established the Apostles and there successors as bishops (overseers) for the Church still on earth.

We would be careful here. Certainly Christ is fully God, but we never miss a chance to point out His dual nature. I am sure that the original poster does not doubt Christ's humanity -- we just tend to be more explicit about it.

We believe Christ is already enthroned.

Baptism is to be by immersion whenever possible, but it is not a legalistic requirement. Baptism is more than an ordinance, but a sacred mystery through which we receive God's grace.

Again, the Eucharist is more than an ordinance. It is a sacred mystery and the ultimate celebration of our unity. We believe, without attempt to rationalize the process, that the bread and wine become the Flesh and Blood of Christ.

The rest looks okay.

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
Please, explain. Im all ears.
PEACE IN CHRIST!!

And eyes, too? :)

Just to be certain we are starting on the same page, I have a few questions.

Do you have any objection to the Orthodox teaching that Christ is our Paschal (Passover) Lamb?
Are you familiar with Exodus 12 and Leviticus 16? I will bring up Romans and Hebrews later.

Please remember that I am not doubting your faith or questioning your knowledge. I just want to be sure all of the groundwork is in place. Also, you will have to bear with me and expect that I will not be able to answer all of your questions. I pray that the others here can help and correct me as I need it.

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
brewmama said:
I can go along with everything else, but we have more practices, such as living each day through the liturgical year, fasting, communal and private prayer, confession, having a spiritual father to help keep you on the straight and narrow.
Okay, a little help here...Liturgical year? Are you required to fast on certain days or times? communal an private prayer? And Spiritual father?

Thanks a million for your patience and time!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.