Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello all!! God Bless you all in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ:

I have a lot of questions but they can all be summed up in: What does your Church believe and practise.

What are your beliefs regarding things like:

Baptism
The Lords Supper
Salvation
The End Times (Rapture)

How does one join or become an orthodox Christian? I am a Southern Baptist; but I believe I am a Christian first and Southern Baptist second. I do agree with their statement of faith and doctrine. I am curious how our denominations vary.

Thank you for your time.

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!!

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 53 said:
Hello all!! God Bless you all in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ:

I have a lot of questions but they can all be summed up in: What does your Church believe and practise.

I'll try to give a simple answer for each of these. I hope my Orthodox brothers and sisters will fill in and correct as necessary.

What are your beliefs regarding things like:

Baptism

We believe in one Baptism for the remission of sins. We believe in the Sacramental nature (or Mystery) of Baptism. We believe that the water that we are Baptised in is sanctified by the Holy Spirit and is a vehicle through which God's grace is poured out upon us, causing us to be born anew of water. We follow this with the rite of Chrismation (annointing with oil) where the Holy Spirit descends upon us, as the Spirit descended upon Christ at the Theophany (Our Lord's Baptism in the Jordan) . Baptism is always in the name of the Holy Trinity, if possible by triple immersion in water.

The Lords Supper

We believe the literal words of our Lord that it is truly His Flesh and Blood. Unlike Catholics we just believe this and do not attempt to rationalize the process.

Salvation

Is a process. We do not believe in OSAS or OSNAS. We are saved by the work of Christ on the Cross. We are being saved as He transforms us through His Holy Spirit to attain His likeness. We are saved when through His mercy and Grace we hear the words 'Well done, my good and faithful servant ...'

The End Times (Rapture)

I've never concerned myself with this, I'll let another answer.

How does one join or become an orthodox Christian? I am a Southern Baptist;

There are several steps, the first two are informal

Inquirer/visitor: Informal visitation of a Orthodox church

Catechumen: A series of prayers are prayed and you enter into a more formal state of inquiry. Here you learn more in depth the theology of the Church and it's practices. What we believe, why we believe it, how we practice our faith, and why we practice the things we do. You practice and participate in all the things an Orthodox Christian does with the exception of the Holy Mysteries (most notably Confession & Communion). There is no obligation to remain a catechumen and the amount of time spent is dependent on the individual and his or her own path.

Reception: On certain prominent feast days (Nativity of Christ (Christmas), Pascha (Easter), Theophany (12 days after Nativity), this varies with regional church customs ) if you are ready, and with the approval of the church priest (and your Bishop who he acting under) you will be Baptised (most Churches recognise previous Trinitarian Baptisms) and Chrismated. As your first Confession was made a day or two before hand you will also receive that Mystery of Absolution. After this you will receive your first Communion during the Liturgy that follows your Chrismation.

but I believe I am a Christian first and Southern Baptist second. I do agree with their statement of faith and doctrine. I am curious how our denominations vary.

I am simply an Orthodox Christian, and chief among sinners :)

Thank you for your time.

No problem, thank you for asking :)
Hope that answers some of your questions

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!!

Mir in IC XC

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for you time!! It is very helpful! I do have some follow up quesitons.

Oblio said:
We believe in one Baptism for the remission of sins. We believe in the Sacramental nature (or Mystery) of Baptism. We believe that the water that we are Baptised in is sanctified by the Holy Spirit and is a vehicle through which God's grace is poured out upon us, causing us to be born anew of water. We follow this with the rite of Chrismation (annointing with oil) where the Holy Spirit descends upon us, as the Spirit descended upon Christ at the Theophany (Our Lord's Baptism in the Jordan) . Baptism is always in the name of the Holy Trinity, if possible by triple immersion in water. Sounds good. A believers baptism correct?

We believe the literal words of our Lord that it is truly His Flesh and Blood. Unlike Catholics we just believe this and do not attempt to rationalize the process. Sounds good. You can or cannot participate in the Lords Supper as a non-member?

Is a process. We do not believe in OSAS or OSNAS. We are saved by the work of Christ on the Cross. We are being saved as He transforms us through His Holy Spirit to attain His likeness. We are saved when through His mercy and Grace we hear the words 'Well done, my good and faithful servant ...' I guess my question would be; do you believe Salvation is based on faith alone or on faith and works? How does one lose there salvation if you do not believe in OSAS? What would the process consist of?

I am simply an Orthodox Christian, and chief among sinners :) And here I thought I was the chief!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
The End Times (Rapture)

We do not read the Apocalypse in a literal manner. We understand the trumpets and bowls to be figurative warnings to Christians to be strong in their faith. We do not believe in a literal 1000 year reign. We believe that we are in the midst of the 1000 years right now. We believe that the Lord will return once to claim His Bride and that this will occur on the last day.

I will be happy to address specific passages as best I can.

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Philip said:
We do not read the Apocalypse in a literal manner. We understand the trumpets and bowls to be figurative warnings to Christians to be strong in their faith. We do not believe in a literal 1000 year reign. We believe that we are in the midst of the 1000 years right now. We believe that the Lord will return once to claim His Bride and that this will occur on the last day.

I will be happy to address specific passages as best I can.
Hello and thank you for your reply. If you do not view the Apocalypse in a literal manner; how can we be in the 1000 year reign? When did the reign begin? When it ends, do you believe Satan will be loosed upon the earth?

I am not trying to discredit or insult your church, I hope you know that; I only want to learn. I cannot grasp how the judgments are only figurative warnings. From reading the book of Revelation, what can we learn from a figurative judgement. God has never given vision of figurative judgements in the past why would He start now.

While I know many people vary on their beliefs of the end times, it is not that important to me in consideration of denominations. The important things are the beliefs in Christ and His salvation.

Thank you for your time!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
. Sounds good. A believers baptism correct?

Not exactly. We also pratice infant baptism.
A hard thing for some to hear, but we believe baptism to be part of the mystery of salvation.

Sounds good. You can or cannot participate in the Lords Supper as a non-member?
Cannot. You must be Orthodox.

I guess my question would be; do you believe Salvation is based on faith alone or on faith and works? How does one lose there salvation if you do not believe in OSAS? What would the process consist of?
Neither. Salvation is a mystery and is solely the work of God. It is based on grace, God's grace. Our faith serves as an indicator of God working in our lives. (The evidence of things not seen.) And yet, we are allowed to be an active participant in our salvation. A real mystery!

I am simply an Orthodox Christian, and chief among sinners :) And here I thought I was the chief!!

That's MY line!

Peace.

Peter

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
The more I learn the more questions I have.. Do you believe Baptism is a requirement for Salvation?

It is a requirement when it is possible. To refuse baptism is to willfully disobey the command of Christ.

How does the Orthodox Church vary from the Catholic Church?

In some ways, we are very similar. In other ways, Catholics and Baptists are more similar than Catholics and Orthodox.

The principle difference between the Orthodox and the Catholic is the role of the Bishop of Rome and the authority to interpret Scripture. We do not accept the Pope as infallible. We do not accept his claims to universal jurisdiction. We do not believe that anyone has the authority to interpret Scripture on their own. This authority rests in the Church as a whole.

We have a different understanding of justification. In fact, we do not even use this term. In the West, Protestants and Catholics included, Christ's death is seen as a sacrifice that pays the debt for our sins. Christians are justified by God's grace through this atonement. (How that grace is applied is another matter ;) ). In the East, we see Christ's death as a the price He had to pay to enter Hades and bind Death. We do not have a concept of justification. Rather, we believe that Christ's defeating of Satan has freed us to be righteous.

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
Hello and thank you for your reply. If you do not view the Apocalypse in a literal manner; how can we be in the 1000 year reign? When did the reign begin?

It depends on who you ask. I believe it began with Christ's Ressurection. Some say at the Incarnation. Some say Pentacost. Theophany. Transifiguration. Crucifixion.

When it ends, do you believe Satan will be loosed upon the earth?

Yes. Satan will be given a "last chance" to try the saints on earth. Somewhat like what happened to Job.

I am not trying to discredit or insult your church, I hope you know that; I only want to learn.

np

I cannot grasp how the judgments are only figurative warnings. From reading the book of Revelation, what can we learn from a figurative judgement. God has never given vision of figurative judgements in the past why would He start now.

I will come back to this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Philip said:
It is a requirement when it is possible. To refuse baptism is to willfully disobey the command of Christ. So, in the practixe of infant Baptisms, how can the infant refuse the baptism? And if I were baptized as an infant, no I need to profess Christ as my Savior now?

In some ways, we are very similar. In other ways, Catholics and Baptists are more similar than Catholics and Orthodox.

The principle difference between the Orthodox and the Catholic is the role of the Bishop of Rome and the authority to interpret Scripture. We do not accept the Pope as infallible. We do not accept his claims to universal jurisdiction. We do not believe that anyone has the authority to interpret Scripture on their own. This authority rests in the Church as a whole. Who is the spokesman for the orthodox church? How does/did the Church decide the meaning of Scripture? Do you believe God speaks to us today through Scripture?

We have a different understanding of justification. In fact, we do not even use this term. In the West, Protestants and Catholics included, Christ's death is seen as a sacrifice that pays the debt for our sins. Christians are justified by God's grace through this atonement. (How that grace is applied is another matter ;) ). In the East, we see Christ's death as a the price He had to pay to enter Hades and bind Death. We do not have a concept of justification. Rather, we believe that Christ's defeating of Satan has freed us to be righteous. Freed you how? If Christ's death upon the cross was not for the atoning of sin; how then is sin atoned for?

Thank you for your patience!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!!

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And if I were baptized as an infant, no I need to profess Christ as my Savior now?

This is done daily by Orthodox Christians.

A cradle Orthodox (born to Orthodox parents and Baptized/Chrismated as an infant) is raised in the faith by his parents (or in tragic cases, his Godparents). As the child matures he is taught the ways and beliefs of Orthodoxy. He attends Divine Liturgy and participates in Holy Communion with the community (we do not have a childrens church). Since, like his parents, he is always living the faith, he does not have to make a decision to follow Christ any more than he has to make a decision to speak his native tongue.

Having several small children in our mission it is exciting to see them grow in the knowlege and love of our Lord, both in practice and belief. They learn the Creed, make the sign of the Cross, bows and prostrations just as a secular child would learn how to read, write and walk unaided. They truly learn the ways of the Lord :clap:

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
And if I were baptized as an infant, no I need to profess Christ as my Savior now?

One must continually profess Christ.

Who is the spokesman for the orthodox church?

The Church itself is its spokesman. It is the Pillar and Support of the Truth.

How does/did the Church decide the meaning of Scripture?

We look back to see what has been believed always, everywhere, and by all. Basically, if one claims that a passage means something that contradicts what the Church has always believed, that person is wrong.

Do you believe God speaks to us today through Scripture?

Yes

Freed you how?

When man fell, he became separated from God and bound to death. Christ freed us to once again be God's.

If Christ's death upon the cross was not for the atoning of sin; how then is sin atoned for?

It is through Christ's death and ressurrection that sin is atoned for. However, we do not understand this as the payment of a debt. Rather, is the the removal of a disease.

Thank you for your patience!!

np. Thank you for your interest.

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Very interesting!! One more question: Do you believe you must belong to the Orthodox Church to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. In other words do you believe you are THE church.

Thank you again for your responses. I think I could learn a lot more if I could speak in person to someone of your denomination or attend a service. Unfortunatley, there are only three in my state and they are all too far away.
I am sure I will have more questions. Thank you; and GOD BLESS!!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 53 said:
Very interesting!! One more question: Do you believe you must belong to the Orthodox Church to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. In other words do you believe you are THE church.

Thank you again for your responses. I think I could learn a lot more if I could speak in person to someone of your denomination or attend a service. Unfortunatley, there are only three in my state and they are all too far away.
I am sure I will have more questions. Thank you; and GOD BLESS!!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

We believe the Orthodox Church is The Church, we do not limit the extent of God's grace or Church. We know where the Church is, we do not know where it is not. Membership in the Church is encouraged and open to all and we believe it to be the vehicle to follow the narrow path of our Lord. We do not say one must be Orthodox to be saved.

Have you checked http://www.oca.org/pages/directory/index.htm , http://www.goarch.org/en/parishes , http://www.antiochian.org/PSearch.asp and http://www.acrod.org/directory.html for churches ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oblio said:
We believe the Orthodox Church is The Church, we do not limit the extent of God's grace or Church. We know where the Church is, we do not know where it is not. Membership in the Church is encouraged and open to all and we believe it to be the vehicle to follow the narrow path of our Lord. We do not say one must be Orthodox to be saved.

Have you checked http://www.oca.org/pages/directory/index.htm , http://www.goarch.org/en/parishes , http://www.antiochian.org/PSearch.asp and http://www.acrod.org/directory.html for churches ?
I checked them all; same results. Do you not believe the collective body of Christ is the Church? Please, tell me about your clergy.

I have been called to the ministry; in what capacity God has not definitively told me; but I do believe it involves Seminary. I am curious about your clergy; are they allowed to be married?

The reason I am asking all these questions is because I want to be sure I am where God wants me to be. I have a strong desire to learn more about your church; Thank You!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Reactions: Philip
Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 said:
I checked them all; same results. Do you not believe the collective body of Christ is the Church?

We believe that the Orthodox Church is the visible body of Christ on earth. As for those who are separated from us, we do not address their status before God. Only God knows. We do call our separated brothers "Christian". It should be noted that we recognize (in most cases) Triune baptisms, even if they are not administered by an Orthodox believer.

Personally, I expect to see some non-Orthodox in heaven.

Isaiah 53 said:
Please, tell me about your clergy.

We believe that they have been graced by God to be shepherds of the flock on earth.

I am curious about your clergy; are they allowed to be married?

Priests and deacons may be married if they are married before they are ordained. They are not permitted to marry once they are ordained. Bishops are normally chosen from the celebate priests (and sometimes the widowers). Every priest assigned to a parish that I have met has been married. Usually, those who are not married are priest-monks.

Isaiah 53 said:
The reason I am asking all these questions is because I want to be sure I am where God wants me to be. I have a strong desire to learn more about your church; Thank You!!

Have you attended an Orthodox Divine Liturgy? Oblio, I, and the others here will do everything we can to answer your questions. However, Orthodoxy in not something that can be fully understood without experiencing it.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 53 said:
I checked them all; same results. Do you not believe the collective body of Christ is the Church? Please, tell me about your clergy.

We believe that Christ established a visible Church on this earth and she has continued from Pentecost until the present day, and that this Church is the Holy Orthodox Church.

Isaiah 53 said:
I have been called to the ministry; in what capacity God has not definitively told me; but I do believe it involves Seminary. I am curious about your clergy; are they allowed to be married?

Our priest and deacons may be ordained if married. Once ordained, they may not marry. Our Bishops are from the monastic ranks.

Isaiah 53 said:

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Wonderful, thank you for asking :) , may God guide you in your path and journeys

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No offense now; But dont you think there is a danger in putting so much faith into an establishment; like any particular church? If I asked the same question to Catholics they would say they are the true church.

I believe the collective body of believers whether; Orthodox, Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, or Methodist is the Chruch. Its about Christ not the Church, correct?

Thank you for the information on Clergy; If the Orthodox Church is my calling, I am not limiting myself. Thank You!!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!!

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isaiah,
There are many excellent books available on the Orthodox faith. Many are written by protestant converts to Orthodoxy. They are available at churches, at Orthodox internet sites, and even amazon.com.

Here are a few:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1888212284/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-3870999-0924058?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0964914123/qid=1065641469/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-3870999-0924058?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/9608677807/qid%3D1065641513/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-3870999-0924058

If it is a problem to buy them, I could send you some of mine. PM me if you want.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.