questions about schism in the Anglican Communion?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm sympathetic to the Open Communion view myself, but the 'rub' is that there are certain visitors who consider themselves to be Christian--Mormons, for example--but we know that their theology is, well, you know...

...and there are people who consider themselves to be Christian because of some personal standard they think sufficient but who have no church membership and never were baptized anywhere. Some of these will also approach the Communion rail.

So, is there some line that ought not to be crossed by the Church, or is it totally up to the communicant?

Is it handled by putting a statement in the bulletin or making an announcement from the altar, and then not policing the communicants? That seems to be the approach taken by some parishes and clergy, but I wonder.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'm sympathetic to the Open Communion view myself, but the 'rub' is that there are certain visitors who consider themselves to be Christian--Mormons, for example--but we know that their theology is, well, you know...

...and there are people who consider themselves to be Christian because of some personal standard they think sufficient but who have no church membership and never were baptized anywhere. Some of these will also approach the Communion rail.

So, is there some line that ought not to be crossed by the Church, or is it totally up to the communicant?

Is it handled by putting a statement in the bulletin or making an announcement from the altar, and then not policing the communicants? That seems to be the approach taken by some parishes and clergy, but I wonder.

These issues should be dealt with pastorally rather than using a rule book.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
These issues should be dealt with pastorally rather than using a rule book.
I cannot agree with that IF you mean that each priest should be on his or her own to decide whether there should be any restrictions at all.

If there are some, and there is a question in the visitor's mind concerning whether or not he meets the expectations of the church, then speaking with the rector in advance is of course right to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I cannot agree with that IF you mean that each priest should be on his or her own to decide whether there should be any restrictions at all.

If there are some, and there is a question in the visitor's mind concerning whether or not he meets the expectations of the church, then speaking with the rector in advance is of course right to do.
I mean that we talk to one another - build relationships. A church is so much more than the presbyter. There are wardens, sidespeople, welcome team, communion servers, and everyone else. Surely someone will talk to a newcomer.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
In my fellowship, we leave it up to individual adults to decide. I can’t imagine not letting someone have communion.

However, if I were so desperate as to go to a church with a closed communion policy, instead of telling someone they were not allowed to have communion, I would approach it as what can we do together to overcome these barriers.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is it handled by putting a statement in the bulletin or making an announcement from the altar, and then not policing the communicants?
That's the approach I've most often seen in Episcopal churches in my area. The "everyone is welcome" quote that I posted from my previous rector was the statement he used to make just before beginning the Eucharistic prayer when he saw there were visitors in the congregation. My current rector, slightly stricter, says during the announcements that "all baptized Christians" are welcome. In other parishes, I sometimes see a statement in the bulletin.

I'm in a heavily Catholic area, and a number of our newcomers are ex-Catholics, used to the Catholic policy of closed communion, so it's important to make an explicit announcement to let visitors know that they're welcome at our Table even if they're not Episcopalian.

We also have a significant Quaker presence in our community. Quakers do not practice baptism. My previous "everyone is welcome" rector had some Quaker ancestry (grandfather, I think), and perhaps that made him more aware of the possibility that a person can be a Christian without being baptized. If a person wanted to join our church formally, of course, they should be baptized; but I wouldn't be quick to turn a person away from the Table during their time of seeking and transition.

I like Naomi4Christ's approach of leaving it to a combination of individual conscience and pastoral care.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Certainly I think if you haven't been (validly) baptised you shouldn't be taking communion.

The reality is that when someone is a visitor, you don't necessarily know. Recently I gave communion to a visitor who came up to me afterwards to tell me he wasn't baptised and didn't know what to do, so he just went along with everyone else. Not the end of the world, I said, but let's talk about baptism.

I don't want to get to the point of interrogating someone at the rail. It's not the time and place. But if I became aware that someone coming forward wasn't baptised I'd want to address that appropriately.

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Certainly I think if you haven't been (validly) baptised you shouldn't be taking communion.

The reality is that when someone is a visitor, you don't necessarily know. Recently I gave communion to a visitor who came up to me afterwards to tell me he wasn't baptised and didn't know what to do, so he just went along with everyone else. Not the end of the world, I said, but let's talk about baptism.

I don't want to get to the point of interrogating someone at the rail. It's not the time and place. But if I became aware that someone coming forward wasn't baptised I'd want to address that appropriately.
I know a parish that explicitly says that they expand the usual TEC policy, and that anyone, regardless of where they are on their spiritual journey, is welcome at the Lord's table.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sigh. The dust hasn't settled on the last envelope they pushed yet, and they have to go pushing another one?
If I take the last couple posts right - this is indeed not a standard Anglican practice, right? I confess I am curious about why this would be pushed for...

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Not sure about outside the U.K., but here there are loads of kites flown at General Synod, in little rooms.

This does not mean there is widespread support, or a gnat’s chance of getting through. They are a springboard for discussion.

It’s good to talk.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reportedly, that is the next big controversy to be adjudicated at the TEC General Convention--welcoming anyone who personally values the experience, no baptism required.

Hmmmm that is not something my parish priest would encourage that is for sure.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I found it difficult to get a clear answer on the web to this question, which is why I said we'll need someone from ACNA to answer it. From what I did read, it seems they are rightly more concerned about one being spiritually prepared to participate in the Eucharist more so than being closed to this or that group.

What say you ACNA friends?

All who are baptized and in good standing in the church are welcome at the Table at our ACNA church.

Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps we use "open" differently. By "open", we mean all those properly baptized and in good standing in their church. Mormons, Christian Scientists, and Jehovah's Witnesses would not "qualify".

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JamieRedheadUK

Anglican
Feb 3, 2016
Manchester, United Kingdom
✟10,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reportedly, that is the next big controversy to be adjudicated at the TEC General Convention--welcoming anyone who personally values the experience, no baptism required.

That is frankly disgusting and heretical practice.

Upvote 0