Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We’re back to the “no debate” mode with this post.I’m interested in experiences. I’ll give a bit of historical background, my own experience, and then it’s your turn.

It would have been unthinkable, before the Second Vatican Council, for lay Catholics to receive Communion in their hands, rather than on the tongue. That began to change in many countries during the 1960’s with the Vatican giving letters, instructions and indults on the matter begin in 1969.
I’ll give you links to brief histories on the matter from two ideologically opposed sources:
The Pray, Tell blog
and
The New Liturgical Movement blog.

In brief, the United States bishops came to permitting this practice far later than others around the world - 1977. There had been previous attempts:
1970 - a majority of US bishops approved it, but it was at the 2/3 level required.
It was considered again in 1973, rejected, then finally approved in 1977:
Communion in the hand was authorized eight years ago in a Vatican document that expressed the hope that the practice might increase among Catholics "the sense of their dignity as members of the mystical body of Christ (the Church)."
Since that time, it has been authorized in 53 countries of the world, including most of Europe, Canada and Mexico. The hierarchy in each country or region must request Vatican approval to introduce the practice in their area.
Twice before - in 1970 and 1973 - the American hierarchy failed to approve communion in the hand, which most church leaders concede is practiced widely despite the lack of official sanction.
A St. Louis Review article on the introduction in the Archdiocese in October, 1977:
this post.I’m interested in experiences. I’ll give a bit of historical background, my own experience, and then it’s your turn.
It would have been unthinkable, before the Second Vatican Council, for lay Catholics to receive Communion in their hands, rather than on the tongue. That began to change in many countries during the 1960’s with the Vatican giving letters, instructions and indults on the matter begin in 1969.
I’ll give you links to brief histories on the matter from two ideologically opposed sources:
The Pray, Tell blog

and

The New Liturgical Movement blog.
In brief, the United States bishops came to permitting this practice far later than others around the world - 1977. There had been previous attempts:

1970 - a majority of US bishops approved it, but it was at the 2/3 level required.
Communion in the hand was authorized eight years ago in a Vatican document that expressed the hope that the practice might increase among Catholics "the sense of their dignity as members of the mystical body of Christ (the Church)."
Since that time, it has been authorized in 53 countries of the world, including most of Europe, Canada and Mexico. The hierarchy in each country or region must request Vatican approval to introduce the practice in their area.
Twice before - in 1970 and 1973 - the American hierarchy failed to approve communion in the hand, which most church leaders concede is practiced widely despite the lack of official sanction.
A St. Louis Review article on the introduction in the Archdiocese in October, 1977:
Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We’re back to the “no debate” mode with this post.I’m interested in experiences. I’ll give a bit of historical background, my own experience, and then it’s your turn.

The Pray, Tellblog
and
The New Liturgical Movementblog.

A St. Louis Reviewarticle on the introduction in the Archdiocese in October, 1977:

this post.I’m interested in experiences. I’ll give a bit of historical background, my own experience, and then it’s your turn.
The Pray, Tellblog

and

The New Liturgical Movementblog.

A St. Louis Reviewarticle on the introduction in the Archdiocese in October, 1977:
I remember being all excited about it early on. I thought it was great, being all early Church and all. And finally I reverted. For me it is more reverent to be a recipient only, a hand fed babe in Christ. I had to defect back to communion in the hand again because of Covid but re-reverted back as soon as it was allowed again. I would not go back. If I had the chance I would receive kneeling all the time too. In fact the Ordinariate has communion kneeling, and they also have host and chalice. My regular parish does this as well, but standing. I think about a third receive on the tongue.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm quite sure it was around well before 1977, illicitly. My guess was that my parish at the time probably had it for years before that. Maybe as soon as 1970, though my memory is fuzzy. In college, starting in 1973 I never remember anything but that. I think it was 'approved' because the horse was already long out of the barn.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I remember being all excited about it early on. I thought it was great, being all early Church and all. And finally I reverted. For me it is more reverent to be a recipient only, a hand fed babe in Christ. I had to defect back to communion in the hand again because of Covid but re-reverted back as soon as it was allowed again. I would not go back. If I had the chance I would receive kneeling all the time too. In fact the Ordinariate has communion kneeling, and they also have host and chalice. My regular parish does this as well, but standing. I think about a third receive on the tongue.
Here in the Diocese of Lincoln, NE, many, many receive on the tongue.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The normal way of receiving The Eucharist is kneeling and on the tongue. Standing, and receiving in the hand is the extra ordinary way. This is the Church's teaching.
Amen

Upvote 0