✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Catherineanne,

If I am honest with you I didnt understand anything you wrote there.

I read a story about an incident which happened in Islam. I asked a question to further prove the incident even though I believe it to be true.

Thats all I did.

Clearly not.

You also had doubts.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
My question was not about jealousy it had a specific context which was known only to me as I was the questioner.

It certainly is not anything to do with supremacy or being the best religion. I already knew the answer to my question because Allah told us in the Quran and i wanted to verify what He said. The answer certainly did and subsequently my faith in Islam has increased.

What about my vague answer actually increased your faith in anything? I was being as evasive as possible.

Upvote 0

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've heard that some Jews believe in reincarnation. I've also read that the Jewish Scriptures don't really have a detailed view of life after death? Is this true?

Also, could you explain something about tikkun olam (healing the world)? Do you mean healing the world in a physical sense (environmentalism etc) or a spiritual sense?

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
I've heard that some Jews believe in reincarnation. I've also read that the Jewish Scriptures don't really have a detailed view of life after death? Is this true?
I don't believe it is a common belief, but, yes, some Jews believe in reincarnation.
If you look through the Old Testament, you'll find very few references to the afterlife.
Also, could you explain something about tikkun olam (healing the world)? Do you mean healing the world in a physical sense (environmentalism etc) or a spiritual sense?

It's getting late here. I'll post on this tomorrow for ya. :)

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
b&4pac, what is your views on Christianity and anti semitism? Do you feel that Christianity is an anti semitic religion and that it's lost touch with its foundations as a Jewish sect?

To answer the last question first, it would certainly be yes, it lost the Jewish roots when it essentially became a gentile religion. My personal view is that the laws were removed to make it easier for gentiles to swallow.

As to your other questions, I do feel that the New Testament can be used by those who wish to promote hatred of Jewish people. "You are of your father the Devil", the Jewish people standing under the cross saying that the blood be upon them and their children, and other elements can be used to promote hatred. That being said, I don't think Christianity itself is bad, it's just the way some people use these things.

Now, if you wanted to get into a discussion if Christianity is anti-Judaism, then my answer would be, of course, a resounding yes. But I doubt many would disagree with me.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged

I would say that an easy answer would be both. I have seen events organized to both support the environment such as cleaning a lake and I have seen events that focus on helping the poor and the needy, which has more of a spiritual sense to it, at least to me.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Now, if you wanted to get into a discussion if Christianity is anti-Judaism, then my answer would be, of course, a resounding yes. But I doubt many would disagree with me.

I would agree with you. Christianity has been a nightmare for Jews ever since its foundation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Can I ask how traditional Jewish scholars interpret the verse "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind" (Numbers 23:19)?

In any of the books I have read, it is interpreted plainly. God is not a man, God is something different than man. God doesn't lie and God doesn't change His mind as men will do from time to time. This clearly goes quite well in line with the verses where it says God has no form and the like.

Jewish scholars have pretty clearly stuck to the interpretation that any anthropomorphism in the Bible, such as when it says God stretched forth His hand, are simply there for humans to have a frame of reference or a way of understanding, not that we picture God actually doing these things.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In any of the books I have read, it is interpreted plainly. God is not a man, God is something different than man. God doesn't lie and God doesn't change His mind as men will do from time to time. This clearly goes quite well in line with the verses where it says God has no form and the like.

Jewish scholars have pretty clearly stuck to the interpretation that any anthropomorphism in the Bible, such as when it says God stretched forth His hand, are simply there for humans to have a frame of reference or a way of understanding, not that we picture God actually doing these things.

Maybe that's why i cannot picture this verse....

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. ~Zephaniah 3:17

what do you think this verse means?

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Maybe that's why i cannot picture this verse....

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. ~Zephaniah 3:17

what do you think this verse means?

It has to be read in the context of the surrounding text. Remember that the Bible was never originally divided into chapters and verses, but were simply wrote. It wasn't until the Middle Ages that verses were added.

Chapter three seems to talk about the end times. Many of the common themes are there; the purification of Jerusalem, all the nations of the world worshiping God, the deliverance of the Jewish people.

What you quoted is part of a song that will be sung in Jerusalem in those times, if we take the meaning literally. It seems to suggest that the people will be overjoyed with what has occurred and they will know that God is with them.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It has to be read in the context of the surrounding text. Remember that the Bible was never originally divided into chapters and verses, but were simply wrote. It wasn't until the Middle Ages that verses were added.

Chapter three seems to talk about the end times. Many of the common themes are there; the purification of Jerusalem, all the nations of the world worshiping God, the deliverance of the Jewish people.

What you quoted is part of a song that will be sung in Jerusalem in those times, if we take the meaning literally. It seems to suggest that the people will be overjoyed with what has occurred and they will know that God is with them.

this is the part that speaks to my heart, although i cannot picture it...

Abba, Father, rejoicing over us with singing......this singing...do you think He actually sings as He rejoices?

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Abba, Father, rejoicing over us with singing......this singing...do you think He actually sings as He rejoices?

I don't see any reason why God couldn't sing, and pretty much all Jewish prayers are set in song. If you attend a synagogue (which I woefully missed this morning), you go through a prayer book and everything is singing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't see any reason why God couldn't sing, and pretty much all Jewish prayers are set in song. If you attend a synagogue (which I woefully missed this morning), you go through a prayer book and everything is singing.

i have never been to a synagogue....however i have heard the singing. It IS beautiful.

This brings to mind the question of Satan/Lucifer....was he sort of a leader in worship/singing before his fall?

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
i have never been to a synagogue....however i have heard the singing. It IS beautiful.

This brings to mind the question of Satan/Lucifer....was he sort of a leader in worship/singing before his fall?

Satan isn't viewed the same way in Judaism. He isn't fallen, he isn't God's great enemy or anything like that. There are very, very few references to Satan in the Hebrew Bible. Many Jews view Satan as an agent of God tasked with the responsibility of testing mankind, not as the evil agent of the world trying to turn people away from God.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Satan isn't viewed the same way in Judaism. He isn't fallen, he isn't God's great enemy or anything like that. There are very, very few references to Satan in the Hebrew Bible. Many Jews view Satan as an agent of God tasked with the responsibility of testing mankind, not as the evil agent of the world trying to turn people away from God.

In Isaiah or is it Ezekiel that speaks of him falling from or cast out of heaven likened to a falling star?

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
In Isaiah or is it Ezekiel that speaks of him falling from or cast out of heaven likened to a falling star?

You're looking for Isaiah 14:12, but only if you follow Christian understanding of the verses. Jewish understanding is different.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You're looking for Isaiah 14:12, but only if you follow Christian understanding of the verses. Jewish understanding is different.

What's the Jewishh interpretation of it?

Upvote 0