b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
I thought I'd go ahead and start a thread since I got into a discussion in another thread about Jewish beliefs. So, are there any questions in regards to Jewish beliefs?

I will start off by saying that I am not an Orthodox Jew, but I can try to find out the Orthodox perspective if anybody is interested.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I thought I'd go ahead and start a thread since I got into a discussion in another thread about Jewish beliefs. So, are there any questions in regards to Jewish beliefs?

I will start off by saying that I am not an Orthodox Jew, but I can try to find out the Orthodox perspective if anybody is interested.

To be honest i do not know a lot about "orthodox" vs "un-orthodox". Could you explain the difference?

Thank you.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
To be honest i do not know a lot about "orthodox" vs "un-orthodox". Could you explain the difference?

Orthodox Judaism would be a strict, very strict, adherence to the Laws laid out in the Bible as well as rabbinic rulings. Generally speaking, Orthodox Jews are going to follow all the Kosher laws, keep the Sabbath by not performing any of the prohibited actions, and other such things.

There are other branches of Judaism, such as Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionalist. Each branch has different ideas about the Laws, how binding they are, and what is important.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Orthodox Judaism would be a strict, very strict, adherence to the Laws laid out in the Bible as well as rabbinic rulings. Generally speaking, Orthodox Jews are going to follow all the Kosher laws, keep the Sabbath by not performing any of the prohibited actions, and other such things.

There are other branches of Judaism, such as Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionalist. Each branch has different ideas about the Laws, how binding they are, and what is important.

i was offered a job once as a caretaker of an elderly orthodox Jewish woman once. The money was good, but i could not remember all the do's and don't's, so i did not take the job.

Wow, i didn't know there were so many branches.

I'm wondering about Psalms....what are your thoughts on David and the Psalms...just wondering, because it's probably one of my favorite books in what we call the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
i was offered a job once as a caretaker of an elderly orthodox Jewish woman once. The money was good, but i could not remember all the do's and don't's, so i did not take the job.
I can see where that would be very confusing for someone who had no previous experience. For a caretaker, I would assume the dietary laws would be the hardest to remember. Meat and dairy can't touch, for example, and there are different dishes and pots and pans for meat and dairy.

I'm wondering about Psalms....what are your thoughts on David and the Psalms...just wondering, because it's probably one of my favorite books in what we call the Old Testament.

Psalms is very beautiful. I have always enjoyed the various imagery that is used. For myself, however, I tend to like the Prophets out of any other books in the Bible.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I can see where that would be very confusing for someone who had no previous experience. For a caretaker, I would assume the dietary laws would be the hardest to remember. Meat and dairy can't touch, for example, and there are different dishes and pots and pans for meat and dairy.

Psalms is very beautiful. I have always enjoyed the various imagery that is used. For myself, however, I tend to like the Prophets out of any other books in the Bible.

David is who i could relate to. He stumbled a lot and yet he was called the apple of G_d's eye. i find that delightful. And yes the flow of Psalms Is poetic and beautiful. One of other favorite books is Isaiah. Especially Isaiah 54:1-8

1Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD.

2Enlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations: spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes;

3For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

4Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.

5For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

6For the LORD hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God.

7For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.

8In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer.

Are the verses the same in what you read?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, in both Bibles I have the verses are pretty close to that. There's always some differences in translation, but the same message is sent.

awesome!

another favorite verse of mine is

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? ~Micah 6:8

It speaks to me of a G_d Who allows me to un-burden myself....

and in Genesis, i find it delighful that the One Who created all things, walked in the cool of the day in a garden with Adam....

As i get to know this One, my heart smiles and my spirit soars.

What prophets are your favorites?

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? ~Micah 6:8

It speaks to me of a G_d Who allows me to un-burden myself....

Indeed, this is a verse that rabbis speak of a lot.
and in Genesis, i find it delighful that the One Who created all things, walked in the cool of the day in a garden with Adam....

Well, I think, personally, that doesn't mean God literally walked in the Garden, as God is not a physical being but it is a way for us to understand God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I would have to say I do like Isaiah a great deal. It talks a lot about how to be considered good.

i haven't read all of Isaiah...what part of Isaiah is it?

And you know where it says something like "your light will rise from obscurity"? i can't remember where it is....

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
i haven't read all of Isaiah...what part of Isaiah is it?

Isaiah 1
15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide my eyes from you;
even if you offer many prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are full of blood; 16 wash and make yourselves clean.
Take your evil deeds
out of my sight!
Stop doing wrong,
17 learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
that is awesome!!! G_d is blunt, isn't He?
If you read a bit before that, God speaks about not delighting in the blood of bulls and such.

I also love Psalm 51
16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.

One is never far from God's forgiveness, and I think that's awesome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
do you know why G_d calls Israel a "her"?

Israel is called different things at different times. In Hosea, Israel is called God's son that God called out of Egypt. In many other places, Israel is called a singular he.

But it all depends on what imagery the verse is trying to convey.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If you read a bit before that, God speaks about not delighting in the blood of bulls and such.

I also love Psalm 51

One is never far from God's forgiveness, and I think that's awesome.

yes! That is why i was drawn to Him.

Psalm 51 is precious :clap:

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I like to point these types of verses out when people tell me of the Hebrew Bible's brutality.

I gravitate towards verses similar.......His tenderness and mercy are what wins hearts and minds.

He is also holy. Bless-ed be His Name.

Upvote 0