• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Questions about Geodon

R

Robin Shawn

I'm sorry your brother is going through such a hard time.

About the Geodon: when I took it, at first, I wasn't told to take it with anything. It worked somewhat, but caused me a lot of nausea and vomiting. Later, I was told to take it with a fatty food. I had many problems with it no matter what: it just didn't work very well. Maybe for some people it does, but I'll tell you something my current psychiatrist told me: Geodon just doesn't work. He's a very good psychiatrist: He writes articles in psychiatric magazines that other psychiatrists read. He knows what he is talking about.

There are other antipsychotics for your brother to try if Geodon doesn't work well or if the side effects are too severe. Sounds like he is having a hard time with Geodon.

Geodon is usually taken twice a day, and him not getting it at night shouldn't be a problem, unless he is unable to sleep: some antipsychotics help with sleep.

Shawn

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
BTW I talked to a psychiatrist friend tonight and he said that the vomitting and not eating would interfere with its effectiveness. Since it seems to make people throw up, it would make sense that it doesn't work! I think your psychiatrist is right on.

Upvote 0

LAGC

Dec 27, 2010
✟15,138.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, its certainly possible to over-medicate. I was taking 4x80mg of Geodon daily and it made me feel groggy all day, even when I took it at night before bed. So my psychiatrist had me dial it back to 2x80mg tablets at night, and it seemed to strike the right balance.

The nice thing about Geodon is it isn't as likely to make you gain weight as many other psych meds are. Obviously, YMMV.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

godismystrength1

Forum Junkie
Apr 6, 2011
U.S.
✟15,253.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My brother is in the hospital right now and is being given Geodon for an acute psychosis. The nurses told my parents he would have to have it with food, and he would need to have consumed at least 500 calories for it to work -- yet, they don't always give it to him with food and when they do give it to him, he doesn't always eat much because he's constantly nauseous from taking it. So, is it true that you need to have it with food? Would him not eating with it or not eating enough with it interfere with its effectiveness?

Also, he has only been getting it during the day and they stop it at night. Would him not getting it at night be a problem? They give it to him several times a day so it sounds like it does not stay in his system very long :confused:

A Catch22.

Avoid Geodon. It worsens hallucinations. I've never been so delusional and psychotic until I was put on that Crap.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2010
Pennsylvania.
✟7,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My brother is in the hospital right now and is being given Geodon for an acute psychosis. The nurses told my parents he would have to have it with food, and he would need to have consumed at least 500 calories for it to work -- yet, they don't always give it to him with food and when they do give it to him, he doesn't always eat much because he's constantly nauseous from taking it. So, is it true that you need to have it with food? Would him not eating with it or not eating enough with it interfere with its effectiveness?

Also, he has only been getting it during the day and they stop it at night. Would him not getting it at night be a problem? They give it to him several times a day so it sounds like it does not stay in his system very long :confused:

I was on it. I had to drink it with a glass of whole milk (must be absorbed with fat). Just drink it straight down with a full glass of milk and it will get absorbed into the bloodstream.

My advice to you is to get him on some of the other meds. Consult your doctor about it. I was having a deadly allergic reaction with mine called distonia. I had to take benedryll or cojentin (prescribed) so that I wouldn't die from the Geodon. Distonia is uncontrollable muscle contortions in the face and neck that could potentially cause asphyxiation.

Upvote 0