Question

ejgsmalls

Sep 14, 2005
✟545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, every weekday morning, I go to the chapel and pray by myself. It's one of my favorite parts of the day. And I was praying for/about this guy that I think I am really sort of falling for. And I was asking God to take the feelings that I have for him away if he's not the one he wants me to be with. Then, I just sort of felt like I was floating. I know people get that feeling a lot, but I don't, and somehow it was just different. And I just don't exactly know what to make of it. At first I was like, oh okay, "God's trying to lift the feelings away" but I don't know if that is right, because I just felt very peaceful and I definitely still can't stop thinking about him. I don't even know if I am making sense. And I really want to follow God's will for me, and I really am afraid that I won't recognize His answer or I'll mistake something that isn't for His answer. So, how do you know God is answering your prayers and it's not just sort of wishful thinking?

God Bless,
~Mary

Reactions: Latreia

bethdinsmore

Veteran
Jun 21, 2005
Hawaii
Visit site
✟17,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some general guidelines:
Ps 37:4-6
4 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:
6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, ....(NIV)
(As you focus mainly on God and desire to always follow His will, He will change your desires if they are not good for you.)

Prov 16:3-4
3 Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.
4 The LORD works out everything for his own ends-- (NIV)
(If you desire His will above all, God will give you the right plans, and they will work out.)

Prov 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
(NIV)

James 1:5-7
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
6 But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.
7 That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;
(NIV)

I have found that, when I ask Him to change my feelings if they are wrong, it usually takes a while (just my experience, tho).

The Lord says we are to come to Him like children. Just cooperate with Him as He guides you, step by step. Be patient. Meanwhile, it would help a lot if you could have conversations with the friend to find out where he's coming from, being in a difficult ministry together can help a lot, and get more familiar with the New Testament to find guidelines for evaluating relationships. Oftentimes, the Bible has already given God's answer.

You don't need to look under every rock to find God's answer - you just need to count on Him giving it to you, and be His obedient child. (and remember, His answers are yes, no, or wait).

Aloha in Jesus, friend. I'll pray for you both.

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember doing this sort of thing. I tried the looking for signs, ended up doing my will instead of God's will, mainly because I was too young and nieve to understand what God's will was.

Basically we need to know God. To know right from wrong and live that kind of life. To live according to the teachings of the Word of God. That way our life is fulfilling the Word of God.

So you already know the basics, dont have premarital s#x, dont live together, abstain from all appearances of evil, excetra, scripture stuff. It is ok to have the desires of your heart, as long as they also line up with God. This guy should be a christian, and you should be able to tell it by his fruits, and that is what dating is about, getting to know him. And I mean really pay attention, you are a godly woman looking for a godly man. You are placing this man in a very powerful position in your life, potentially as head of household. And that is how you have to look at dating.

But that is just me.

But see I screwed up, no one told me that was how I was suppose to be doing things, that is what God wanted from me. That it was ok for me to look for someone I could love, I mean really he already knows if they are going to be right for me or not.

Ok, remember God tells us not to lean on our own understanding in these things but to acknowledge him and he will direct our path.

When you acknowledge God in your life, that means you are living for him. You are not leaning on emotions or feelings which definately can mislead you. But you are totally trusting God and his wisdom, his teachings to lead you down the right paths.

Anyways, that is my advise for you. God's voice is in his teachings, you have to learn to listen there.

Upvote 0

ejgsmalls

Sep 14, 2005
✟545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you so much for replying...the scriptures helped alot and so did your response, treasure. But ah...see..that's why I am confused, because, he is more in love with Christ then anyone I have met. So, sometimes I think, okay this could be who God wants me to meet, but other times I think maybe it's just my wishful thinking. Anyway, thank you very much.

God Bless,
~Mary

Upvote 0

bethdinsmore

Veteran
Jun 21, 2005
Hawaii
Visit site
✟17,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, you certainly have good taste, Mary. Don't worry about the feelings. Now see what God does.

As far as the floating feeling, sometimes I feel like that when a weight has been lifted by God. When we sincerely pray for His will, that sometimes happens. It doesn't indicate what the answer to the prayer will be.

aloha in Jesus

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's usually better to get to know someone really well rather than relying on feelings. Nothing suggests you should back off at the stage, and some good relationship/friendship building, as well as spending time with your other good friends is probably quite important.

John
NZ

Upvote 0