Oklahoma
✟11,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
we knew that it was different very soon, that it wouldnt be casual by any means. But really at 17(when we met) I had no idea what I was doing with anything. I knew that if I ever had kids that he would be the man I would want to have them with and that i couldnt see myself without him.

I fell for him after two weeks but again I was 17...so its hard to tell....

Upvote 0

O_Sky20

Sky of Eternity
Oct 20, 2008
Texas
✟7,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Excellent responses! We are definitely leaving ourselves open to any possibility, and based off of the responses a lot people actually did have love at first sight (or a shorter amount of time than I originally thought possible). Thanks again for all of the responses thus far, I learned a lot!

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This may end up being TMI but here goes.

My husband and I met our 3rd year of college and I couldn't stand him. We both worked at the University bookstore and argued constantly. The rest of the employees got a kick out of hearing us bicker.

I left school but came back the next fall to visit with some friends and happened to meet up with him at a coffee shop. I still couldn't stand him. But he didn't feel the same way and asked me for my phone #. I thought he was just doing it to be nice so I gave it to him. Almost had a fit when he actually called. For another year, he continued to annoy the mess out of me. He totally would not take a hint and go away. Finally I was like, ok fine, I'll date you since you won't go away. We only dated for 6 months and then broke up for a year.

He still wouldn't go away and actually moved in with my brother during that year. I know this was so he could have contact with me. Anywho, we got back together because every single time I would go see 2 of my brothers they would remind me of how great and wonderful he was. One of my brothers liked him so much that he actually set me up with this major loser drug addict to show me how good I'd had it with future hubby. Finally I succumbed to the preasure, we got back together, dated another 7 months then got married.

I honestly didn't know he was "the one" until, we'd been married for 2 years already. I can thank John Gray, author of the Mars and Venus books, for that. I was watching a PBS special he'd done and realised how horrible I'd been and that I really did love him. Lots of things changed after seeing that special. We've been married for 10 1/2 years now and I can't immagine being with anyone else. He is "the one." It just took me forever to see it.

Upvote 0

Caffeinated

Jan 26, 2008
✟16,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't think about marrying him until about 5 years after we first met. :)
We met and briefly dated in high school. He tells me that he knew I was 'The One' all those years ago, but I wasn't thinking along those lines at all. We got back together as adults and that's when I finally started thinking that maybe we were in it for the long haul, but there never was some magical knowing.

Upvote 0
D

DamagedNothing

I wouldn't say I "knew" we were going to get married right away, but I had a certain hunch about him that I hadn't had with anyone else. The hunch grew over time until I recognized it as the Holy Spirit's urging. It wasn't based on emotions.. In fact to be honest, when he proposed to me, I said yes 80% because that's the answer God gave me and 20% because I had some vague romantic-type feelings for him. It was bizarre. But I don't regret it. :)

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
1. How many people knew right away (like on the first day) that they were going to marry their current spouse?
I didn't know. I met my husband in high school and I certainly didn't know it when I saw him in biology.

How many people found out after the first day of meeting their current spouse? If you apply to this group, did you ever once think that your current spouse was NOT marriage material in the beginning before you married him or her?

I'm in this group!!! Yay!

No, I never thought that of him. In fact, I thought he was better suited for marriage than me :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

havana16

Oct 16, 2008
baltimore md
✟482.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think in my case I knew we would be together after about 2-3 months of seeing each other I was raised very conservative I did not know he would be good marriage material until after we married he has very different views than me of life and everything. But all the same he taught me that it was ok to trust again after a bad first marriage that ended in domestic violence against me. So I still think God put us together even though he is not a Christian and I am! it has been pretty good so far along with all the bumps of marrriage!:)

Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

Hello married peoples!

I am single, but I feel this is the most appropriate place to ask. I am in need of your help!

I have a friend (she is also a Christian) and we have some different opinions on how one can recognize a future spouse. She says that when she meets her future spouse, she’ll know right away (like on the very first day of them meeting each other). She says because she’ll be able to feel a really good connection and she’ll feel it in her heart that he is “the one” for her.

I told her I don’t believe it works like this for all couples because her reasoning sounds very “emotional” to me. I believe that love is based more off of a decision and actions; therefore I believe you have to talk to the person for longer than 1 single day in order to find out if they are someone that you would marry.

My question is for these two groups of married people:

How many people knew right away (like on the first day) that they were going to marry their current spouse?

How many people found out after the first day of meeting their current spouse? If you apply to this group, did you ever once think that your current spouse was NOT marriage material in the beginning before you married him or her?

I knew with my wife, but I thought I had known in the past, too. Your head AND your heart have to be in it to figure out who's really the one.

Upvote 0