Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
to seal, sanctify, and set apart for service to God, (protect from the influence of satan) a person or item thru the medium of holy water or sanctified oil or sanctified incense. :bow:

the form that sanctification takes is an outward sign as a witness and confirmation for those who only see with their eyes. but for those who see spiritually, it is a very real declaration of both ownership and a declaration and confiring of the power of God upon a person whom He has chosen specifically to perform a designated task.

what many people don't realize is that this same thing takes place in a marriage ceremony between the bride and the groom. they both join themselves together into one, and at the same time set themselves apart from all others, becoming one in the eyes of the Lord. that bringing together and setting apart is symbolized with a ring.

another similarity is seen in the branding of a a calf, so that all who see and recognize the mark may know both who the owner of the calf is, and whether or not that calf is in it's proper property boundaries that belong to the owner.

even as the servants of the unholy trinity (as discussed in Revelation) will be branded with the sign of the unholy trinity, so too will the servants of Christ have His mark upon them. The anointing given to us while here on earth is but a foreshadowing symbol of that given By Christ in the hearafter.

Last edited:
Reactions: ~RENEE~
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I agree with New Wineskin in that this phrase is often used to over spiritualise things and quite often when people use this term it is being used to control others. In general, when you hear some individual say that he has received an 'anointing' from the Lord for so and so, it would be a good idea to run to the nearest door.

You would be doing yourself a great service by doing a word study on the word 'annointing' to see how it is used within the New Testament and to who it is addressed.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts when you hear the word anointing?

It doesn't seem to feature very much in the New Testament, if at all. It seems to be an Old Testament function to anoint with oil as a sign of appointing a king, or someone for a particular role.

The only reference I know of in the New Testament is the anointing of oil by the church elders for a sick person as part of their prayers for healing.

But when a person is endued with the Holy Spirit power for service, there doesn't seem to be anything extra to be added.

I would agree with those who express doubts about a person having an extra anointing for ministry over and above anyone else. I beliee that the Holy Spirit gives specific gifts for specific roles, but this does not promote a person to be superior to anyone else in the brotherhood.

Paul mentioned "those who think they are something" while he was writing to the Galatians, and his attitude was to pay them no attention. He told the Corinthians that when he was coming to visit them he was going to deal with a guy who "loved the pre-eminence among them". It seems quite obvious that Paul saw that person as being full of pride. Maybe that guy thought he had a special anointing for ministry.

It is interesting that when Paul went and visited Jerusalem, he was a bit dubious about the Apostles, because he described them as ones who "seemed to be pillars". Maybe he initially thought that these men might be elevating themselves above others through pride of position. But when he met James and Peter his attitude changed, maybe because he saw their true character as humble men of God truly filled with the Spirit.

So I don't think Paul would have recognised anyone who said they had an anointing for any type of service, and I guess neither should we.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I associate the anointing with the presence of God. Many have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof. We must recognize when our God is present in our mist, and when we have offended Him and He does not show up. "The anointing" has become the catch phrase to indicate when God is with someone or some church in a tangible way. Perhaps it is not entirely biblical, because back then there weren't so many people thinking they are following God based upon their doctrine or birthright, and everybody operated in the gifts of the Spirit on a regular basis. But times have changed, and so must our wording in how we express our faith.

It is my desire to present myself as often as possible before God so that He may anoint me in service for His purposes. I know the difference between when I am being used by Him in this capacity and when I am not. It's not spooky spiritual (or overspiritualizing anything) IMO. It is the goal of my path He has set before me! It is a valid part of our walk to see the power of God displayed, and from a biblical standard God has always stood behind those He anoints with supernatural signs and wonders.

Upvote 0

TasManOfGod

Untatted Saint
Sep 15, 2003
Tasmania
✟26,515.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I would describe annointing as the presence of the Holy Spirit that manifests in a believer when he\she is in the perfect will of God and through diligence and submission become a vessel for the power of God. I remember experiencing this "annointing" during a confrontation with a drunk person -(perhaps who God was trying to reach) The guy continually tried to punch me but the Holy Spirit quided me to put up a barrier and all the guy got was a sore hand. Many saw this happen and no doubt believed because of it. That to me is what annointing is about and for me anyway it is a rare occurrence.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I agree with New Wineskin in that this phrase is often used to over spiritualise things and quite often when people use this term it is being used to control others. In general, when you hear some individual say that he has received an 'anointing' from the Lord for so and so, it would be a good idea to run to the nearest door.

You would be doing yourself a great service by doing a word study on the word 'annointing' to see how it is used within the New Testament and to who it is addressed.

Thank you , for adding the thought about "control" . I was undecided on putting that in my post .

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

~RENEE~ said:
What are your thoughts when you hear the word anointing?

Power to act in the name of God. The difference between just speaking and the speaking with power that will cause a spiritual change.

You can interchange the example of speaking with any other action. Singing, preaching, teaching, ministry, etc. Without anointing given from God, there will be no spiritual impact.

Mrs. Richard posting on my iPad using CF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

Source Scripture

annointing : a term used by C/P's to overspiritualize something or someone to make it more about that thing or person than the Lord who may or may not be doing something .
True, and of course, some self validate with the word, all a preacher has to says is, " I feel the annointing", while they speak, and the little lambs swoon over everything they say.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
one more thought on anointing...from Psalm 23, 'Thou anointest my head with oil".

we usually think of this as the anointing of a king, but in the Psalm it is talking about sheep and the Shepherd.

One of the ways that a shepherd takes care of the flock is to anoint their head (specifically inside their nose and their ears) with oil. There are flies and gnats that follow sheep with the sole purpose of crawling inside their nostrels and ears to lay their larva. when those larva hatch they set up an irritant cycle that can drive sheep mad, because the sheep have no natural way to rid themselves of the larvae.

But when the shepherd anoints the nose and ears with oil, the larvae are smothered in the oil and die, thus taking care of the problem.

and so it is with Christ. By His Word He anoints us, and His Word inside of us works to defeat satan and all the temptations that he throws in our way to harm us.

By ourselves, we are vulnerable to the sin that satan tempts us with, just like the sheep. But thru the anointing words and the power of God and Jesus we can overcome that temptation and be at peace in Him.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

pdudgeon said:
one more thought on anointing...from Psalm 23, 'Thou anointest my head with oil".

we usually think of this as the anointing of a king, but in the Psalm it is talking about sheep and the Shepherd.

One of the ways that a shepherd takes care of the flock is to anoint their head (specifically inside their nose and their ears) with oil. There are flies and gnats that follow sheep with the sole purpose of crawling inside their nostrels and ears to lay their larva. when those larva hatch they set up an irritant cycle that can drive sheep mad, because the sheep have no natural way to rid themselves of the larvae.

But when the shepherd anoints the nose and ears with oil, the larvae are smothered in the oil and die, thus taking care of the problem.

and so it is with Christ. By His Word He anoints us, and His Word inside of us works to defeat satan and all the temptations that he throws in our way to harm us.

By ourselves, we are vulnerable to the sin that satan tempts us with, just like the sheep. But thru the anointing words and the power of God and Jesus we can overcome that temptation and be at peace in Him.

Amen!!!

~Jrs_Lovely1 {iPad}

Upvote 0