✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 12:28
And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.

[size=-1]1 Corinthians 12:29
All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they?

[size=-1]1 Corinthians 12:30
All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?
[/size][/size]

[size=-1][size=-1]A Gift of the Spirit cannot be learned, only given.

Now someone prove that you can learn it. :)

Most people who are "speaking tongues" are really just speaking nonsense. Especially those who do it without an interpretor, that is very unscriptural.
[/size][/size]

Upvote 0

Bruce S

Dec 28, 2002
✟1,232.00
Faith
Protestant
Lotar said:

Most people who are "speaking tongues" are really just speaking nonsense. Especially those who do it without an interpretor, that is very unscriptural.
[/size][/size]
Argh.

Interpretation is ONLY required in PUBLIC UTTERANCES. Using this LEARNED GIFT in private, by yourself, requires NO interpretation.

Corinthians 13:

1If I speak in the tongues[1] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
Notice the word ANGELS here, that is CERTAINLY *NOT* a humanly known language is it? It IS unitelligeble sounds, known NOT to man, only God.

2For anyone who speaks in a tongue[1] does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.
Again, notice...NO ONE understands him, he utters mysteries....

14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
Again, notice the MIND of the prayer, does NOT understand HIMSELF what he is praying, but the Holy Spirit, operating through the human to God, does.

18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.
Notice that Paul states that IN PUBLIC you should control tounges, but HE speaks more than any...IN PRIVATE [implied]

It is LEARNED, what is so difficult for you to try this one out for size? Too afraid of feeling foolish? I CAN guarantee you, you WILL feel foolish, for the first few times. But swallow your pride, give it a go. Make SILLY GIBBERISH, the sounds don;'t count, the Holy Spirit will take care of those, just kneel, waggle the old tounge, and give it a shot.

Bet ya will never stop after you FEEL what everyone does when they are seriously giving this one a fair try.

Love.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lotar said:
1 Corinthians 12:28
And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.

[size=-1]1 Corinthians 12:29
All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they?

[size=-1]1 Corinthians 12:30
All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?
[/size][/size]

[/size][/size]

I do not think you are reading what we are saying. Nobody but you is saying that this refers to the gifts of the Spirit... which are not given to everyone. We are talking about the ability that we all receive when we are born again.
We can all prophesy from out of the spirit of Christ in us.
When I pray in an unknown tongue I am praying from my own spirit... not from the Holy Spirit. If it is coming from my own spirit, I can do it at will and I can learn to do it.

Upvote 0
I really don't know anything about speaking in tongues, however it does seem to me that since a "gift" is something that is "given" and not "learned" and speaking in tongues is listed in the Bible as a spiritual "gift"; that would make it something that cannot simply be "learned" but a "gift" that must be given.

Just my thoughts on the subject. :)

Upvote 0

Bruce S

Dec 28, 2002
✟1,232.00
Faith
Protestant
JesusServant said:
Let go and it will be shown to you.

I had to let everything go to the Lord.  It wasn't until I didn't care about anything of this world but to know God that God moved.  I didn't care if my marriage fell apart, if I lost my job, my house, my cars, etc. etc.  It wasn't until then that God moved, showed me visions, gave me a heart of flesh instead of stone and put things back in better order than I could have ever done myself in 10 times the length of time.  God is awesome!
I UNDERSTAND. My life too, has crashed and burned these past two years. What I've had to wade through, and still face, is frightening to me, horribly so.

I have been broken, totally, and only then, was I willing to FULLY embrace the word, seek God, and begin the process of reconcilliation with Him and His word, that I had totally ignored for most of my adult life.

That is why I was willing to try ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, in the book, INCLUDING tounges. If it is there, I try it. I have not gotten a lot of the promises that others talk about, I have massive legal issues, money issues, and marriage issues. Some things are better now, I don't drink anymore, inappropriate contento is all but gone, lusting is much reduced, but and some legal issues have been resolved...sort of. But I have been paying attention to the remaining "sins/faults" I still carry, like smoking, fear, lethargy, and rebellion. But I'm willing now for them to be removed, but those long standing remaining faults are HARD, and with the issues on my plate are seemingly insurmountable at this current moment.

Tounges was EASY, Just do it, I wish the rest of the stuff we are supposed to do is easy, like praying, church, reading the word, that stuff is FUN actually, as is tounges when you get over the stumbling block of fear of feeling foolish.

Now, when does one get RELIEF from the problems of the world, or do some of have to be as Paul was, plagued for the rest of our lives with earthly harrassments and troubles as the price of salvation?

:prayer:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.