Question on speaking in tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.
25th March 2003 at 11:54 PM JesusServant said this in Post #120

Let me apologize for saying that the way I did NAC,I could have been more tactful.  I do believe that any teaching that says that the Holy Spirit is dormant is wrong and I cannot help be remain steadfast and strong in my new found freedom with the Holy Spirit as my guide.  I am not saying you do not have the HS because we're told you cannot profess Jesus is Lord without it.  What I am saying is that you may be missing out on much more that what you have experienced thus far.  For example, dancing in the spirit.  It's okay to jump up and down and scream while grown men tackle each other over a pigskin, but don't dare jump up and down and shout praises to God in this society.  All I can say is, "let go my friend."  Let go and it will be shown to you. 

I had to let everything go to the Lord.  It wasn't until I didn't care about anything of this world but to know God that God moved.  I didn't care if my marriage fell apart, if I lost my job, my house, my cars, etc. etc.  It wasn't until then that God moved, showed me visions, gave me a heart of flesh instead of stone and put things back in better order than I could have ever done myself in 10 times the length of time.  God is awesome!

I am not saying that the Holy Spirite Ghost what have you is dormant.  I am just saying that I don't believe in the "spiritual babbling" way of speaking in tounges.  I believe in the way where say someone can speak French and then by knowing how to they spread the word to someone.  I believe that.  From what I have read some of the gifts died out.  But I am well aware the Holy Spirit is still about.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
From what I have read some of the gifts died out.Ê But I am well aware the Holy Spirit is still about.

So we have a Holy Ghost who is very different today than he was in the past? Today, He's lost his gifts for us? Isnt God who does not change the same yesterday, today and forever more?

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Today at 12:10 AM Xnot A citizenX said this in Post #121

I am not saying that the Holy Spirite Ghost what have you is dormant.  I am just saying that I don't believe in the "spiritual babbling" way of speaking in tounges.  I believe in the way where say someone can speak French and then by knowing how to they spread the word to someone.  I believe that.  From what I have read some of the gifts died out.  But I am well aware the Holy Spirit is still about. 

No NAC.  You have just been told this and accept it as truth.  No where in the Bible does it back up what you are saying, no where.  You can't even stretch 1st Corinthians 13 that far especially when 14 says...

"For he that speaketh in a tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God; for no man understandeth (if this is a language like French for example, then a man understandeth - pay attention here); but in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 

I was as hard headed as you at one time NAC, but the Word won't change for you, it means what it says.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
28th March 2003 at 12:10 AM Xnot A citizenX said this in Post #121 ...From what I have read some of the gifts died out...

There's your problem...

See if you don't believe that there are any gifts, how do you expect to believe that you can have one of em?

Let me ask you a question. You've problably heard that the gifts were only used to confirm the salvation message right? (That's what I was told anyways) What is differetn about the message of salvation for today than the message which was then? Do we not need to "confirm" our message for today?

Or have you ever noticed that it's only the more controversial gifts that have died out? Why wouldn't they all die out? What if the gift of teaching died out? Why then only the ones that people seem to have problems with? Makes you think don't it? lol

Or on another note.... if the Holy Spririt is here... what does He do?

Oh well... hope this post helped. Have a great day! :D

Upvote 0
Even my girlfriend. The reason I got into searching about this doesn't even believe in it anymore. She said she just got sucked into it and that it was nothing more than a bunch of bologna. So that kinda stuck out at me, but I continued think reading praying about it. And my conclusion is bologna too. Like I said something really freaky deaky would have to happen to change my view.

Upvote 0

Gideon4God

Jan 12, 2003
✟8,009.00
Faith
Other Religion
31st March 2002 at 09:36 PM clairywairy said this in Post #1

Hey :wave:
I've been wondering recently about speaking in tongues. It's something I've never tried and I don't really understand it. I've heard people say that you can speak in tongues during prayer, but I don't really know where to start or what exactly to do! What exactly is it? What does it mean? Can somebody help me? I'd greatly appreciate it!
:help:
:angel: Claire :angel:

My simple understanding of it:

1 Cor. 13:10

"But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away."

Greek Definition of perfect: "teleion"

VINE: "Signifies having reached its end, finished, complete, perfect"

THAYER: "brought to its end, wanting nothing necessary to completeness; when used of men it means full-grown, adult, of full age, mature."

BAGSTER: "brought to completion, complete, entire, as opposed to what is partial or limited"

ARNDT & GINGRICH: "having attained the end or purpose, complete, perfect"

and because chp. 13 is speaking of tongues I think they cease when we have a complete revelation from God concerning salvation, the Bible.  Knowledge of salvation has ceased as well when were dealing with Jesus Christ and our salvation. 

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Today at 12:42 PM Xnot A citizenX said this in Post #126

Even my girlfriend. The reason I got into searching about this doesn't even believe in it anymore. She said she just got sucked into it and that it was nothing more than a bunch of bologna. So that kinda stuck out at me, but I continued think reading praying about it. And my conclusion is bologna too. Like I said something really freaky deaky would have to happen to change my view.

Unfortionately XnotAcitizenX, that's what happens when people grow up around something but are never taught correctly.

I grew up in the Penticostal invironment and never really understood the uses of this gift until. . .say. . .6 to 7 years ago:(

All this time . . . I had a gift that I infrequently used because I was taught that you could only use it when the Spirit came on you. 

Then one day, I heard someone say, "the Spirit is always willing"  and I did some studying and saw that it was for my being made spiritually stronger.  And indeed. . .the Spirit is always willing to build us up and give the strength we cannot survive without. 

XAX, if you're happy and content where you're at spiritually, then you just stay believing the way you believe.  But if you want to grow, then you've got to dig a lot deeper.

Quaffer

Upvote 0
Quaffer,
I dug. I read a book. I read posts. I read web-sites. I prayed. I read the Bible. I talked to many Christians old and young. And that is the decision I came too. I have grown a lot spiritually, you don't have to "babble" to do so. I am not content with where I am...I want to continue to grow...and I will, just not with that ,because well you know.

Upvote 0

Simcha

a.k.a. BeadieJay
Jun 24, 2003
England
Visit site
✟260.00
Faith
Messianic
You don't have to speak in tounges in order to be saved, but you can speak in tounges if you are saved. I believe that the Holy Spirit and his gifts are relevant for today, and that if you want to, you can recieve his gifts much like you did when you got saved, ask the Lord for it. I believe in it,and I do it, when I'm praying to the Lord, but don't know what I'm praying for. Sometimes God will wake me up in the middle of the night to pray,and I don't know why or what for, I speak in tounges, and also Satan doesn't understand what you are saying when you're speaking in tounges, only God does. So.. I believe that it helps in that Satan doesn't know what specifically to come after you for. Satan will always come after you with all sorts of stuff, but he doesn't know specifically what area to hit you hardest with. The other thing about speaking in tounges in church, is when you are prohesying in church, you have to either translate after you have spoken, or someone else has spoke. And this is only used, when the Spirit Of the Lord is moving in the church and through his people, because if you do it just to draw attention to yourself, you are using that gift out of context. And if you think that "speaking in tougnes" in out of context or bologna, then that is your opinion, and you can pray to the Lord about your decision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I am Pentecostal and dont want to really get into a debate over this. When Jesus decended into heaven he said that he would send us the comforter who is the Holy Spirit. Acts1:8 2:4 2:38. We do not have to speak in tongues to be saved. It is an additional gift that God gives us to help us to live on fire for him. Dont seek after tongues but just seek Jesus for more of his presence and anointing in your life. I believe as I was taught that tongues is the evidence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Just seek the scriptures and ask God to reveal these things to you and he will. I dont want to cause you any confusion because of my views. The most important thing is that you are saved and washed in the blood of Jesus. Just seek God and he will show you more about this subject. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As long as you want more of the Holy Spirit, you will want the Baptism and the spiritual language.

The tongue is the part of the body that you tithe to the Lord. The tongue is like a rudder that controls a big ship. The tongue is untamable except by the Holy Spirit. When you tithe your tongue to the Spirit, he has your whole body. When you yield your tongue to the Spirit he has more control over you.

So its not so much about just speaking in tongues for the sake of tongues but seeking a closer walk with the Holy Spirit, having him more real in your life. The first part that He wants is your tongue. Life and death are in the power of the tongue. Yield your tongue to the Holy Spirit and quit debating about tongues. :)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Xnot A citizenX said:
Quaffer,
I dug. I read a book. I read posts. I read web-sites. I prayed. I read the Bible. I talked to many Christians old and young. And that is the decision I came too. I have grown a lot spiritually, you don't have to "babble" to do so. I am not content with where I am...I want to continue to grow...and I will, just not with that ,because well you know.
Ok... so you could prophesy then. Perhaps you have grown to the place where you can bypass the baby talk, and go right on to prophesing!
Paul puts great emphasis on the importance o this:

1Co 14:
1 Keep on pursuing love, and keep on desiring spiritual gifts, especially the ability to prophesy.

However, most of the time, people have to go through the baby talk part before they can speak like adults....
Just a thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bruce S

Dec 28, 2002
✟1,232.00
Faith
Protestant
Being a NORMAL new Pentacostal. I was investigating the denomination I joined Assmbly of God. They believe in tounges. So, wanting to fully experience everything, I was fascinated by all of this. However, everyone gave me vague instructions, or none whenever I inquired.

I tripped over a business aquaintace, a follower of the THE WAY INTERNATIONAL, and we got to talking about certain Bible things. She was MOST gifted in her bible knowledge, being in the WAY for over 15 years. Anyway, I inquired about tounges. She brightend up, and we had a very lively discussion. She then proceeded to SHOW me how to speak in tounges.

It was a visible demonstration of the MANNER AND MODE that one "could use" upon demand, to do it.

Gave me a book on this to read. BEST DARNED BOOK ever written on tounges. I have now later, read ALL the mainstream books on tounges, pro and con, and this one still is the best one out there.

Anyway, it is NOT something that MOST will just have come down upon them, although many WILL have the first experience that way.

For MOST, it is a DELIBERATE act, under your control.

And YES, you do feel like a babbling fool when you first start doing it. But then, so many things Christians are asked to do feels foolish upon first use. Baptism by immersion being one, that isn't something that you would ordinarily think of when wanted to be close to God, it is a LEARNED thing, like so many others.

So, THE WAY, does have very very many erroneous teachings, I have thorougly looked into them after these events. But in this ONE area, they have it down pat.

Upvote 0

Bruce S

Dec 28, 2002
✟1,232.00
Faith
Protestant
Lotar said:
Speaking in tongues is not something you learn or teach; like prophesy, it is a Gift of the Spirit, not all will have it or experiance it.
Bananas! :sorry:

EVERTHING about being a Christian is LEARNED, or TAUGHT.

Tounges is NOT something that "comes ONLY upon you unexpectedly" it CAN, but USUALLY, is NOT. It is a deliberate act, for most, it is DELIBERATELY done all the time, daily for many, you CAN and SHOULD just "do it" however silly you may feel at first.

TRY IT, just DO IT, and AFTER you have done it a few times, you will, as almost everyone that has, FEEL something, yes, it is a palpable feeling, that comes over me when praying this way, USING the Holy Spirit to move my prayer into areas unknown to me.

It is a REARVIEW MIRROR sort of thing, it only makes any sense AFTER you have done it. Standing in FRONT of it, looking at it, thinking about it, learning about it, studying it....just doesn't work.

I know this sounds odd, it IS one of the odder things we have to understand to be fully committed, the early church knew this, that is why TOUNGES was routinely practiced, encouraged, and sought after.

Try it.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lotar said:
Speaking in tongues is not something you learn or teach; like prophesy, it is a Gift of the Spirit, not all will have it or experiance it.
That is the popular idea.... but alas.... it is also wrong.
You can in fact learn to speak in tongues and prophesy. I am not talking about the Gift of the Spirit which only a few will have. I am talking about the ability inherent in every born again believer. We may all pray in tongues, and we may all prophesy.

Very scriptural!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.