Question on Definites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2006
✟7,620.00
Faith
Christian
I am a Christian and I am trying to evangelize to one of my really good friends and he is majoring in biology and going to medical school. The reason why I am telling you that is because he is very analytical and picks everything apart. To an extent, he is open to religion, but right now, his status is one of a true agnostic, and although he does not deny God, he does not believe in Him either. My friend grew up in the Catholic church and he says that he thinks that if there is a God, Jesus could be the Son of God, however, it is a matter of believing and knowing that He is DEFINITELY the Son of God. Taking the next step, if you will, which is in itself, becoming a Christian. He really just can't seem to get past this, though. Even in his everyday life he makes excuses for having to deal with making a decision about a definite. He actually just got married and I asked him if he went into that marriage thinking that was going to be a definite and he actually said, "No", which was not a surprise, and although his wife is just as agnostic as he is (who I am working on as well :)), I do believe her answer would have been different. It seems to be a matter of "well if I am wrong, then what?" Does anyone have any advice? Any bible passages that could lead me in the right direction?? Thanks!! :) God Bless!!!

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Rescuedsince04. The greatest witness for Christ is the love our Lord has for all of us, and the love we have for God and each other. Our prayers are our petitions to God, and our lives are the model to imitate. I cannot think of anything better, Rescuedsince04. Your friend`s wife said that if she is wrong, " So what?" Perhaps you could help her to see the difference between the future of God`s sons/daughters, and those who go their own way. But let God lead you, remember God is Love and Forgiveness, Jesus paid the price and is waiting now for us to follow Him back to our original home. All we have to do: Repent, exchange our selfish life-style into a loving/caring one. And to find out for sure how God loves us, we follow Him, and will find the difference it will make, to all who trust. I say this humbly and with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is wrong and will never get to experience a perfect sinfree eternal life with our Lord. Only God can change a person's heart (Prov 20, Ro 9:15). Your friend knows where you stand and you should always be available to discuss spiritual things with him whenever he wants. You should be a model for him and all to see as you live your life for the Lord. You must be careful not to come across as judgemental and aggressive or threatening. The best you can do is pray for him, asking God to have mercy on your friend and open his eyes. If it is God's will to do so then you should be there to help him grow.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am a Christian and I am trying to evangelize to one of my really good friends and he is majoring in biology and going to medical school. The reason why I am telling you that is because he is very analytical and picks everything apart. To an extent, he is open to religion, but right now, his status is one of a true agnostic, and although he does not deny God, he does not believe in Him either. My friend grew up in the Catholic church and he says that he thinks that if there is a God, Jesus could be the Son of God, however, it is a matter of believing and knowing that He is DEFINITELY the Son of God. Taking the next step, if you will, which is in itself, becoming a Christian. He really just can't seem to get past this, though. Even in his everyday life he makes excuses for having to deal with making a decision about a definite. He actually just got married and I asked him if he went into that marriage thinking that was going to be a definite and he actually said, "No", which was not a surprise, and although his wife is just as agnostic as he is (who I am working on as well :)), I do believe her answer would have been different. It seems to be a matter of "well if I am wrong, then what?" Does anyone have any advice? Any bible passages that could lead me in the right direction?? Thanks!! :) God Bless!!!
Why do you try to win the arguments when you can win the hearts?

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Win arguments???
Yes, win arguments. Your friend is very logical, and logical people are not oft won over by logic, their strong suit, they are won over by emotions, their weak point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

akeng

May 25, 2009
✟422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In red

He is wrong and will never get to experience a perfect sinfree eternal life with our Lord. Only God can change a person's heart (Prov 20, Ro 9:15). Your friend knows where you stand and you should always be available to discuss spiritual things with him whenever he wants. You should be a model for him and all to see as you live your life for the Lord. You must be careful not to come across as judgemental and aggressive or threatening There will be plenty of time for this when he goes to church or joins the marriage section of these forums lol. The best you can do is pray for him, asking God to have mercy on your friend and open his eyes. If it is God's will to do so then you should be there to help him grow.

Upvote 0

Webers_Home

May 1, 2009
Oregon
✟1,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
RE: his status is one of a true agnostic, and although he does not deny God, he does not believe in Him either.

You might try sympathizing with your friend and try to understand his point of view. When an intelligent person evaluates the Bible objectively, from a scientific perspective, what they see is both mystical and mythical, so that people who accept it without question simply have to be quite gullible and naïve to do so.

There exists no empirical evidence that will satisfy an agnostic in regards to the existence of a supreme being other than a close encounter of a third kind; and even then, I've no doubt they'd find some way to debunk it.

But even if an agnostic were to be convinced of the existence of a supreme being, an even greater subsequent task would be to convince them that the Bible's God is the supreme being rather than some other.

Christians are really no more sensible than Muslims in that regard. Who is Allah? Who is Yhvh? They're believed to be supreme beings but who can really prove those two gods are any more supreme than Siva, Brahma, or Vishnu?

Humanity has a propensity to superstition; and most of us not only believe in a supreme being, but even if there wasn't one; we'd invent one; and why would we do that? Answer: to give our brief, pathetic existence some meaning and purpose.

Nobel Prize winner, author of several best-selling books, and recipient of at least a dozen honorary degrees, Physicist Steven Weinberg (who views religion as an enemy of science), in his book, The First Three Minutes, wrote: "The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it seems pointless. But if there is no solace in the fruits of our research, there is at least some consolation in the research itself . . The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of a farce and gives it some of the grace of tragedy."

What a dismal evaluation. To a brilliant, secular mind like Mr. Weinberg, the human experience is an exercise in futility. The universe? It's devoid of meaning: just a three-dimensional mural that people find fascinating and interesting —cosmic entertainment; so to speak. The quest for knowledge seems the only thing that gives men like Weinberg any purpose to exist at all.

Mr. Weinberg feels that religion is an enemy of science. I disagree. Religion provides answers to the questions science cannot answer.

There are big questions that many philosophers and scientists have been unable to answer. What makes things alive? What is the origin of the spark of life? Man can build anything; even go up and walk on the moon; but he can't make anything come to life, and he can't figure out why living things live, nor even why they should get old and die. Everything in the universe is deteriorating, including the universe.

How does the human brain, a 3-pound lump of flabby organic tissue, produce the phenomena of memory, consciousness, and self awareness? Why does Man have a sense of justice, of fair play, and a desire for revenge? Why does he prefer to be right rather than wrong? Why be right and/or wrong at all? Why does Man want his life to count for something? Why isn't Man amoral like the other creatures? Butterflies are free, why aren't we? And why does anything exist at all? Why not nothing, instead of something? Satisfactory answers to those questions can only be found in the existence of a creator.

Religion gives meaning and purpose to human existence; which would otherwise languish in science somewhere between a farce and a tragedy.

Galileo believed that science and religion are allies rather than enemies— two different languages telling the same story; a story of symmetry and balance . . heaven and hell, positive and negative, right and left, up and down, night and day, hot and cold, God and Satan. Science and religion are not at odds; no, in reality, science is just simply too young to understand.

Alexander Friedmann's theory of an expanding universe was lent some credibility by Edwin Hubble's discovery that galaxies, in all directions, appear to be moving away from us. Some felt that the effects of universal gravity would limit the cosmos' expansion and make it slow down; eventually stop it from expanding, and make it shrink back to its original state and bang all over again; perpetuating a never ending cycle of banging and shrinking.

But we now know from the Supernova studies of Saul Perlmutter and Brian Schmidt, that the universe is not only expanding, but contrary to expectations, the velocity of its expansion is accelerating; viz: gravity is not slowing the expansion down at all, it's actually speeding up, so the cosmos will never of its own accord stop expanding in order to shrink itself back into one solid glob of highly condensed nothing.

This discovery was very discouraging for cosmologist Alan Sandage since he was once a proponent of the theory that the universe would some day shrink upon itself; and called the discovery of the ever-increasing velocity of the expanding universe a "terrible surprise." In a special 2002 collector's edition of U.S. News and World Report, a paragraph says that at a 1998 cosmologists conference in Berkeley California, Mr. Sandage told the gathering that contemplating the majesty of the big bang helped make him a believer in God; and willing to accept that the creation could only be explained as a miracle.

Dr. Robert Jastow, founder of the Goddard Institute for space studies at NASA, in his book God And The Astronomers said; Strange developments are going on in astronomy. One of these is the discovery that the universe had a beginning. And that means there has to be a Beginner. The scientist has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak, and as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.