Uk
✟117,443.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I guess I would ask why you feel guilty about drinking alcohol? Jesus turned the water into wine, that is good enough for me. Drunkenness' is a different story, it will hurt you physically, mentally, and spiritually.
A Theology lecturer taught that wine in Jesus day would have been much lower in alcohol, almost like grape juice.

I can only speak for myself, but I did a lot of stupid things under the influence of alcohol. Things I’m pretty sure I would never have done, had I been sober.
If I had drunk Wine in moderation, I wouldn’t have felt guilty at all.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I find it interesting that someone could even guess at the alcohol content of the wines in biblical times. Today wine making is a science, everything from soil content, weather, irrigation and time of fermentation effects the quality of the wine. Not only that one can make wine out of other fruits than grapes. Actually peach wine is fantastic, not sure what the alcohol content is in peach wine. I think the average is about 12% alcohol in todays wines.
Moderation is the key to everything when it comes to what foods and drinks we consume.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A Theology lecturer taught that wine in Jesus day would have been much lower in alcohol, almost like grape juice.

I can only speak for myself, but I did a lot of stupid things under the influence of alcohol. Things I’m pretty sure I would never have done, had I been sober.
If I had drunk Wine in moderation, I wouldn’t have felt guilty at all.

Typical wines run from 10-15% although they can go as low at 5% and as high as 20% depending on the variety of grape. In biblical times, the only way to stop the fermentation process would have been to heat the wine to around 150F. Today, you can cold shock the must or add additional alcohol. Otherwise, yeast begins to die once the alcohol content above 16%. Back in Roman times, it was typical to water down wine to avoid drunkenness.

BTW, during part of my chemical engineering career, I designed distilled fuel alcohol plants so I became familiar with the fermentation process.

• Useful
Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My body hates it when I drink a lot. I feel so disgusting and awful that it's hardly a temptation at all.

Let me give you a lesson out of cognitive therapy, "Doc, I feel awful when I drink a lot". Doc "Then don't drink a lot."

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Typical wines run from 10-15% although they can go as low at 5% and as high as 20% depending on the variety of grape. In biblical times, the only way to stop the fermentation process would have been to heat the wine to around 150F. Today, you can cold shock the must or add additional alcohol. Otherwise, yeast begins to die once the alcohol content above 16%. Back in Roman times, it was typical to water down wine to avoid drunkenness.

BTW, during part of my chemical engineering career, I designed distilled fuel alcohol plants so I became familiar with the fermentation process.

Watering down wine, that sounds terrible to ruin good wine that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Let me give you a lesson out of cognitive therapy, "Doc, I feel awful when I drink a lot". Doc "Then don't drink a lot."
Good advice. It's not really worth it to me. I'd rather spend the money on anything else.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Watering down wine, that sounds terrible to ruin good wine that way.

I will occasionally water down my wine, but in general, I agree.

The wine that we use for communion is about a 50%/50% wine / hot water mix.

Reactions: RBPerry
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Good advice. It's not really worth it to me. I'd rather spend the money on anything else.

A bottle of wine will last me a week or more. Never more than a small glass with dinner. Everything in moderation.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,443.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I find it interesting that someone could even guess at the alcohol content of the wines in biblical times. Today wine making is a science, everything from soil content, weather, irrigation and time of fermentation effects the quality of the wine. Not only that one can make wine out of other fruits than grapes. Actually peach wine is fantastic, not sure what the alcohol content is in peach wine. I think the average is about 12% alcohol in todays wines.
Moderation is the key to everything when it comes to what foods and drinks we consume.
Well, our lecturer was a Theological genius.... fermenting wine is like a long drawn-out scientific process, isn’t it amazing then, that Jesus changed six pots of water into wine, in a split second?

Almost makes me wonder why He took as long as six days to created the universe :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, our lecturer was a Theological genius.... fermenting wine is like a long drawn-out scientific process, isn’t it amazing then, that Jesus changed six pots of water into wine, in a split second?

Almost makes me wonder why He took as long as six days to created the universe :)

I think most of us find the things Jesus did amazing, ever try walking on water.
Well we know the universe took much longer than six days, actually millions of years, that is a scientific fact. If your genius theologian believes in the six day creation he isn't a genius. There are some problems with literal interpretation of the bible, but no problems from the spiritual interpretation.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,443.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think most of us find the things Jesus did amazing, ever try walking on water.
Well we know the universe took much longer than six days, actually millions of years, that is a scientific fact. If your genius theologian believes in the six day creation he isn't a genius. There are some problems with literal interpretation of the bible, but no problems from the spiritual interpretation.
Millions of years? “If they do not believe Moses and the prophets, they will not be persuaded even though One rises from the dead” Luke 16:31

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Millions of years? “If they do not believe Moses and the prophets, they will not be persuaded even though One rises from the dead” Luke 16:31

Let me give you an example, we know many planets are actually millions of light years away. The light we can see from them took millions of years to get to earth. The Catholic church taught that the earth was flat for hundreds of years. They are the ones that gave us the bible we have today, think about it. There is a big difference between prophetic messages that the old and new Testaments have given us and have proven accurate, and the creation story that we know Moses wasn't around during the creation process. So where did these stories come from?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Have you ever seen this verse preachers never really use it.

For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is justified by all her children.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Looks like you are going to have a big surprise one day.

Upvote 0

LonelyAdams

May 21, 2021
southern US
✟25,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i know there is a bible verse hebrews 10:26 says if we keep sinning purposely we lose salvation or something

so if i drink alcohol and do feel its wrong but want to quit but keep drinking will i lose my salvation because im going against conviction? or will the lord punish me

please honest help and answers

Drinking isn't a sin, Jesus drank, the apostles drank. However getting drunk is a sin.

God will always accept you when you come back to him though.

• Agree
Upvote 0