Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i know there is a bible verse hebrews 10:26 says if we keep sinning purposely we lose salvation or something

so if i drink alcohol and do feel its wrong but want to quit but keep drinking will i lose my salvation because im going against conviction? or will the lord punish me

please honest help and answers

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
i know there is a bible verse hebrews 10:26 says if we keep sinning purposely we lose salvation or something

so if i drink alcohol and do feel its wrong but want to quit but keep drinking will i lose my salvation because im going against conviction? or will the lord punish me

No- that you do something you feel is wrong is troubling, but since drinking isn't a sin, there's no penalty.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We tend do commit the same sins over and over.
Satan knows our weak spots. It's like dust falling on furniture,,,we keep cleaning it off.

God knows that you're sorry for your sin and He's always ready to forgive you. 1 John speaks about this. In chapter 3, John says we should not continue in sin.
If you look this up, you'll find that it means that we're not to live a life of sin, which is different than sinning.

God will help you to cut out liquor if that's what He wants you to do,,,till then, repent and ask forgiveness.

I don't think it's a sin, but that's not for me to determine.

• Winner
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

Would the answer change your behavior?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I believe Paul is speaking of a certain sin relating to this verse:

Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

Drinking in moderation isn't a sin, and even if you think it is, it is what God thinks about it that matters.

Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's just the thing, nobody can say it's not a sin for a certain individual. Especially if that person is under Holy Spirit conviction against it. God gave me an intolerance to alcohol so now I can't drink it anyway, it literally makes me sick and my desire is gone. I never even drank much but I did it for decades, did enjoy some wine but not now. There is plenty of support against alcohol in scripture , mostly to do with clergy and also about over indulging.

Read your bible and look up all the verses on alcohol.
Here is the most pertinent scripture to the common man IMO ( there is much stronger language for clergy):
Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is a brawler, and ...
http://biblehub.com/proverbs/20-1.htm Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise. New Living Translation Wine produces mockers; alcohol leads to brawls.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Josh, I'm pretty certain that those being discussed in Hebrews 10:26 were, at best, 1st Century Jewish "almost" Christians. After all, the sin that they were willfully continuing in was the rejection of Christ as their Lord and Savior. They had all the knowledge they needed and understood who He was, so for them, and others like them, there no longer remained a sacrifice for their sins (there being only the one sacrifice that will do .. Acts 4:12).
As TusAme said, drinking is not sinful, in and of itself. Getting drunk is however .. e.g. Ephesians 5:18, as is using your freedom in Christ to the detriment of others, be they the young in Christ or unbelievers .. 1 Corinthians 8 (see v12 in particular); 1 Corinthians 10:27-28). If your conscience is bothering you, you should stop drinking and ask for forgiveness and repent, again and again if necessary (and God will continue to forgive you .. Matthew 18:21-22; 1 John 1:9).

If you are a true Christian, you cannot lose your salvation and become UN-born again .. John 3:16, 18, 5:24, 6:37-40, 44, 10:27-28, Hebrews 7:25, 1 John 5:13, nor will the Lord "punish" you, but He will discipline you for your own good, which is something we should all happily allow Him to do for us .. Hebrews 12:7-11, as He continues the mighty work He began in you/growing you up in Christ/preserving you in the faith, and fulfills His great promise to you to see you safely through this life to Glory .. Philippians 1:6, 2:13, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 :)

Yours and His,
David

John 6:37-40 (excerpt)
ALL that the Father gives Me WILL come to Me, and .. of ALL that He has given Me, I LOSE NOTHING, but raise it up on the last day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
if i drink alcohol and do feel its wrong but want to quit but keep drinking will i lose my salvation because im going against conviction? or will the lord punish me
I would suggest you spend some time reviewing Romans 14, which is about the interplay of conscience and our freedom in Christ. As others have said, the Bible teaches that drinking is not wrong. In fact wine is often used in Scripture as a metaphor for abundant life.

The problem is drunkenness. And that may mean that if you have a disposition to lack of control in this area, you need to stay well away, while the next guy, who doesn't have a problem, can partake without a second thought.

So no one can tell you if drinking is wrong or right for you. That's a decision you must make yourself. But if you know it's wrong for you, and do it anyway, the issue becomes what you do with your conscience. If you seer your conscience, that's big trouble ahead. But if you have a repentant heart, even while you still don't have manifest victory, you remain plugged into the Source of mercy and grace, and can grow in sanctification as you continue to look to Him.

Rom. 6.14 promises that sin will not have dominion over us, because we are not under law, we are under grace. That is, even when we don't yet have the victory, we are not condemned as long as we are Christ's. It's what Paul details in the last part of Romans 7, going to Romans 8. He does what he doesn't want to do; he doesn't do what he knows he should; he's completely miserable about it, but then discovers the prevenient grace of God, made available in Christ Jesus. And he has the victory, even "ahead of time."

So stay close to the Lord, and practice 1Jn 1.9 whenever necessary. Take heed to your conscience - not unto condemnation, but simply unto repentance. There's nothing good in us save Christ Jesus. He knew what He was getting into when He saved us, so trust in Him no matter what.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion till the day of Jesus Christ. Php 1.6​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me if you're enjoying the effect then you're getting at least a buzz. Isn't that technically drunkenness?
thats where it gets confusing. there is a big difference between drunk and buzzed.
drunk is blacking out and doing stupid things, buzzed is feeling relaxed and happy. big difference. however i personally see all drinking for me as sin, so thats besides the point

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Remember as written (always test by Scripture, everything)
anything/ everything not of faith is sin,
and
whoever continues living in darkness willingly and willfully is a liar and the truth is not in them.

Whoever sins continually without repenting, even after the warnings directed in Scripture for all assemblies of Ekklesia is to be put out.
(to 'keep' the assemblies pure) (yes, a rare condition today) ....
(with the positive expectation and hope and prayer and Yahweh's Word Saying this is "for their repentance", that they may repent before they 'perish' .....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why, when Scripture condemns drunkenness but not the consumption of wine in and of itself?
I think you missed the part when I said "for me" a personal conviction. I never said the bible said drinking is 100% a sin.

Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Remember as written (always test by Scripture, everything)
anything/ everything not of faith is sin,
and
whoever continues living in darkness willingly and willfully is a liar and the truth is not in them.

Whoever sins continually without repenting, even after the warnings directed in Scripture for all assemblies of Ekklesia is to be put out.
(to 'keep' the assemblies pure) (yes, a rare condition today) ....
(with the positive expectation and hope and prayer and Yahweh's Word Saying this is "for their repentance", that they may repent before they 'perish' .....

so you say without repentance.
so what if i drink and ask god to help and forgive me. am i living without repentance even though im asking for him to forgive me? or is it not real forgiveness because even though i know its wrong im doing and just asking forgiveness and for help.? can you clarify

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
so you say without repentance.
You said without repentance >>>
if we keep sinning purposely we lose salvation or something

so if i drink alcohol and do feel its wrong but want to quit but keep drinking

1 John 2 English Standard Version (ESV)
Christ Our Advocate
2 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,

5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said without repentance >>>

1 John 2 English Standard Version (ESV)
Christ Our Advocate
2 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,

5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

im still confused it didnt really answer my question
If I live in repentance yet I know what im doing is sin, would i go to hell. Basically I know it would be a sin but because I ask for forgiveness does that mean im still forgiven. even though I know what I do is wrong and still daily ask for forgiveness. or is there at that point no more forgiveness until i quit because im just doing a sin over and over when i know its wrong "for me/"

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"For him who knows what to do (or not do), and he continues disobeying anyway, for him it is sin"
i.e. It is not repentance.
"Without repentance is no forgiveness of sin." (asking forgiveness while continuing to sin is vain and empty, without any good effect and without forgiveness)

im still confused it didnt really answer my question
If I live in repentance yet I know what im doing is sin, would i go to hell. Basically I know it would be a sin but because I ask for forgiveness does that mean im still forgiven. even though I know what I do is wrong and still daily ask for forgiveness. or is there at that point no more forgiveness until i quit because im just doing a sin over and over when i know its wrong "for me/"

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
thats where it gets confusing. there is a big difference between drunk and buzzed.
drunk is blacking out and doing stupid things, buzzed is feeling relaxed and happy. big difference. however i personally see all drinking for me as sin, so thats besides the point
For me too. I've been fortunate as it's never really been a temptation for me though. There are other temptations i struggle with. Im not saying having one or two is sin for everyone. It's just when people say they just like the taste, I have a hard time believing that. They would be drinking non alcoholic beer or something else that tastes good if that were the case, right?

Upvote 0