Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kirk and Wary Larry -

Administrators Hat On

Looking through the contents in this thread...I cautioned Wary Larry at the beginning because I sensed a "tone" in the questions and I could tell that this discussion could develop into a mess.

I will continue to monitor this thread for possible closure, but we cannot continue to have a discussion with people accusing other of being bigots and calling people liars.

We all have very different opinions about what is the "truth" and we all have strong feelings about things that have been said in the past.

Let's all take a step back and remember despite what denomination we represent, we are ALL Christians and Christ has not commissioned us to take each other to task over differences in beliefs.

And above all - if you can't say something nice or at least in a friendly tone - it's best to keep it to yourself. Administrators Hat Off

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Larry:
1. Acts 2:26-27 indicates Jesus was dead, both body and soul. The original Greek says "the soul of me."
Acts 2:27a: "For thou wilt not abandon my soul to Hades" (speaking of the soul).
Acts 2:27b: "Nor let thy Holy One see corruption" (speaking of the body).
One passage, two seperate but related subjects. There is no dichotomy here. Nor is there any mention of the "death" of Jesus' soul. The Catholic Church has always taught that the soul is immortal---it cannot die. (Refer to Tatian, To the Greeks, 165 AD; Athenagoras, Resurrection of the Dead, 177 AD; Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 180 AD; Tertullian, The Soul, 208 AD; Epiphanius of Salamis, Against All Heresies, 374 AD; John Damascene, Source of Knowledge, 743 AD----and that's just a few random sources from the Patristic Fathers. There are hundreds more in the various councils and from various pontiffs, which I'm not going to bother to look up for lack of space, inclination, and time.
In case you were unaware, Hades is the realm of the dead.
AKA as Tartarus, Sheol, and the Limbo of the Fathers, as opposed to hell or Gehenna, and not to be confused with Purgatory or with the Limbo of Infants....just in case you were unaware. ;)
2. Secondly, I did not say Jesus' angel was preaching to any spirits in prison in 1 Peter. You missed the point again. I was referring to your misguided interpretation of the Transfiguration.
Well, that's a matter of perception, methinks; I admit that I'm having difficulty trying to fathom your reasoning behind your concept in both cases. If you can clarify, it might be greatly helpful. Just consider me extremely dense, and explain it in slow, clear, exacting detail, the way you'd explain it to an idiot, so I can understand it.
Moreover, there are too many ways to read 1 Peter 3:19 for you to claim that Jesus headed off to proclaim the gospel for three days between the cross and the resurrection. One has to pretty well imagine this into the text.
Not necessarily. There are about five major ways to interpret the passage, and probably more. A) Christ went to the Limbo of the Fathers to preach to the sinners killed in the Flood before His Advent (Augustine); B) Christ went to the Limbo of the Fathers to preach salvation to the sinners who repented before being drowned in the Flood (Bellarmine); C) Christ went to the Limbo of the Fathers to convert the sinners killed in the Flood (Clement of Alexandria and Origen); D) Christ went to the Limbo of the Fathers to proclaim the final defeat of Satan (Selwyn); E) Christ went to the Limbo of the Fathers to proclaim victory over Satan and to free the imprisioned Fathers (O'Brien). You can choose to accept or reject any or all these interpretations, but that doesn't negate the viability of the interpretation I posted earlier.
3. I started this thread and I have not discussed the "worship" of Mary.
That is correct. However, there was a website link to "maryworship.com" that someone posted, and that's why I mentioned the fact that Catholics do not worship Mary, for the benefit of any confused parties out there who may be reading this thread.
4. I figured you would go there about academic training. It doesn't matter where I attended. You, and the others here, seem to have the idea that college and university is more about indoctrination than education.
Also not necessarily; I was merely trying to ascertain whether some of the concepts in the education you got square with the Magesterium of the Church.
5. You also seem to have some strange idea that if I have an idea about angels I must have learned it from Catholicism or I must not be a Catholic or something. This is quite an odd way of thinking. Catholics think too. We are not simply cultists who just pander to the Catholic belief system as if it were some kind of god or idol.
If you want to be a Catholic, then you should at least try to adhere to the teachings of the Holy Father, the Magesterium, and the Apostolic Deposit of the Faith. If you don't want to do this, then you really become a Protestant by default, n'est-ce pas?
6. You say you have not divided Christ but I perceive some dishonesty on your part. You say Christ's spirit (divine AND human) went to heaven, but Christ's body (not divine) died. Notice that you want to say Christ's spirit is divine and human but you also imply that his body was only human. Was the human body which died on the cross divine or not? If not, then neither is Mary the Mother of God. If it is, then God died on the cross.
All right, perhaps I was being too obtuse. Let's clarify: Christ, by nature of His hypostatic union, was true God and true man. So when He died on the Cross, we can be correct in saying that yes, God died on the Cross. The teaching of the Church is that he "was crucified, died, and was buried (according to the body), and descended into Hell (according to the soul). Christ's death dissolved the connection between body and soul---Christ therefore during the three days was not "man"--that is, a compositum of body and soul--but His death did not dissolve the attatchment of Godhead and humanity, or of their parts. Even after their separation the body and the soul separately remained hypostatically united with the Divine Logos". (Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, 3.1.1.14). The Lateran Council of 649 AD declared that since the Word became flesh in assuming a true humanity, Christ's body was finite. Likewise, Pope Pius VI declared that "The humanity and the vivifying flesh of Christ Itself is adored not because of itself and as mere flesh but inasmuch as it is united with the Divinity". So Christ's body was divine, in that it was united with God hypostatically; it was, however, also human, in that it was mortal, suffered pain, and died.
7. God bless Afghanistan. And God bless the government of Afghanistan too. Jesus taught us to bless both our neighbours and our enemies. If you love only your friends you are not better than the pagans.
Being as I am an official member of the "Them What Has Actually Been Shot At" club, I will have to say that in a time of war, you're right: I am no better than the pagans.
8. Now, was the body which died on the cross divine or not?
See above.

Kirk:
If you are so stupid that you blindly regurgitate what Pastor Billy Joe Bob Smith tells you about other faiths, then you're really not bright enough to be participating in public conversation to begin with.
Not sure if this is referring to Fundamentalists or to me, old boy, but in either instance it's terribly uncharitable.

Tracy:
Peter was never a pope in his lifetime. Maybe that is a title Catholics gave him after the fact. The Apostles where just that APOSTLES. They weren't bishops, and during the time of there lives "The Church" was all believers, not a select few. Paul even preached against the division of believers.
The hierarchy of the Catholic Church consists of bishops (the Pope is the Bishop of Rome), who oversee priests, who serve the laypeople. (Cardinal is an honorary title, and most cardinals are bishops; monsignor is also an honorary title, and all monsignors are priests.) So, how does the bishop/priest/layperson breakdown stack up with Holy Scripture? We need look no further than the Epistle of Paul to Titus, 1:5----"This is why I left you in Crete, that you might amend what was defective, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you". Paul, being the Apostle, has appointed Titus the bishop of Crete; it is now Titus' job to appoint priests in every town on Crete. So: Apostle/bishop/priest/layperson. The breakdown is the same.

Furthermore, the word "bishop" in various forms is used several times in the New Testament, in Acts, Philippians, 1 Timothy, Titus, and 1 Peter; in all cases it is derived from the Greek word episkopoi, meaning a superintendant or an overseer. If you're going to have a superintendant or an overseer, they have to superintend and oversee something; the context of thes passages in question makes it clear that that something is the various churches. This is where the concept of a head clergyman, or bishop, in a given town or area, comes from---the same concept the Catholic Church uses today. "Pope" is merely an Italian derivation of the word "papa", meaning of course, "father". Peter was the first bishop of Rome, and so we refer to him as the first Pope.

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0
G

Gracewings

Hello, newcomer here. :) Just wanted to respond to Kelly's (?) post in which she mentioned her husband's comments about all the standing and kneeling and recitations during Catholic church services -- Mass, if you will.

First, I should tell you I was raised Catholic but no longer practice that faith. However, since I've left the church (RC, that is) I've heard alot of comments like these. Admittedly, there are alot of recitations during Cath services, nevertheless, what's important is what's in one's heart as they're reciting it (so I can't really knock 'em for that, only God can see into one's heart). Also, as far as kneeling: I find that a perfectly appropriate position in which to come before the Lord in prayer. I only wish my Protestant church practiced kneeling during prayer at our services.

That's all...I have nothing to offer in the main issue/debate here...hope it wasn't too forward of me to leave my input here. :)

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You have to remember that catholics believe in 1. aposliptic succesion of the pope of the roman church following in the order of Peter who they say was the leader of the apostles and therefore the greatest of them or most right to teach.

2. The church fathers writings (traditions) are a higher authority then the bible. Hence the disagreement with Luther that startes prods.

There are a few more but you have to remember these. They don't start the same place as people that are sola scriptura. Different starting postions.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2. The church fathers writings (traditions) are a higher authority then the bible. Hence the disagreement with Luther that startes prods.
Just as a clarification, this is incorrect. We believe that Tradition and the Bible are equal; neither one is higher than the other. Both of them got started with the oral teachings of the Apostles; eventually, some of these teachings were written down and became the New Testament, some of them were not and became Tradition.

In either case, we believe that both of them are the inspired Word of God, and that they reinforce one another, enlighten one another, and interpret one another. Catholics interpret the Bible and Tradition in light of each other; Protestants interpret the Bible in light of itself. This is why Catholics and Protestants can take the exact same verse of Scripture, and come up with two totally different interpretations.

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0
R

Reborn2000

Thank you for your input, Gracewings. I really appreciate it. Reading back over what I asked, it occurred to me that the way I worded that sounded rather derogatory (sp?), about how all I knew was there was a lot of kneeling, etc. I didn't mean it that way at all, in case someone took offense to it. ;) I agree with you, Gracewings, that there is no better position to pray, than on your knees.

It reminds me of when my husband and I were in college. The Southern Baptist church that one of his frat brothers attended had a special meal for the guys every semester. So we were all there, and one of the brothers (who was Catholic) turned to the one who went there and said, "I can't believe you all don't move around anymore in your service. I am used to being up and down...." Anyway, we all got a laugh out of him, of course he was a comedian anyway. :p

Hugs,
Kelly

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Just as a clarification, this is incorrect. We believe that Tradition and the Bible are equal; neither one is higher than the other"

oh? I was told by several catholics that sacride tradition was the higher of the two...That's what Luther disagreed on, he said Scripture was the higher of the two and the church said nope tradition is...did I mis-read my catholic history? Thanks for the enlightenment on that subject Wolseley!!! I learn something new everyday!! :) (just a note this is a sacrasm free zone).

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:) If I had a nickel for every time I had somebody say to me, "Well, I had a Catholic tell me that (fill in the blank)", I could probably retire.

Always, always, always depend on official Church documents published with the approbation of the Vatican if you want to know what the Catholic Church says on any subject. NEVER depend on what lay Catholics tell you---especially American lay Catholics, especially American lay Catholics between the ages of 18 and 60. The sad but simple truth is, due to the wretched state of catechesis in the U.S. church over the last 40 years, far too many lay Catholics know very little about their own faith. Not their fault, mind you---they were just never taught. Myself, I know more than the average bear because I spent years researching the relevant teachings on my own; and later on, I took the training necessary to be a catechist myself, meaning I have taught the Catholic Faith to other people for several years now.

Allow me to quote from Church documents on the equality of Scripture and Tradition; this comes from Vatican Council II, Dei Verbum (#9), and from the Cathechism of the Catholic Church (#82):

"...the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of revelation is entrusted, does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the Holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence." (Bolding mine.)

Just as I said, Scripture and Tradition are equal. Luther had differences with Church authority----not necessarily with Tradition vs. Scripture. (In his case, if he figured either one hampered him in any fashion, he solved the problem by dumping it over the side. As a result, he jettisoned five sacraments and seven books of the Bible.) :) Luther balked under the authority of the Church in Rome, so he based his own movement on the authority of Scripture alone, and the other Protestant churches followed suit.

The big difference is that in the Catholic Church, both Scripture and Tradition are interpreted by the Magesterium of the Church (pontiffs and councils), whereas in Protestant churches, Scripture is interpreted by various parties---usually the pastor, sometimes by organized bodies such as the Baptist conventions or the Lutheran synods, and not rarely by individual believers themselves. Which is probably why there are better than 20,000 different Protestant denominations. :)

Thanks for your courtesy, Louis; I do appreciate it. :)

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"NEVER depend on what lay Catholics tell you---especially American lay Catholics, especially American lay Catholics between the ages of 18 and 60. "

Umm, okay, there were several and only 1 was "american" I went to the catholic sight and read something I took to say that also, guess I was mistaken ;)

"Luther had differences with Church authority----not necessarily with Tradition vs. Scripture. "

Well that was the focus of his first 97 thesis but not the 95 he is famous for. :) The 95 focused on not just Nicloism (I think the 95 dealt with that) but also mainly on sola scriptura over the church's view of sacred tradition. I'll go back and check my books again. Has this changed since the time of luther? Maybe they said it was more important and changed to equal? Let me check my books once more.:)

"Which is probably why there are better than 20,000 different Protestant denominations"

Not a bad thing since we are united in the essentials, ie docterine :)

"Thanks for your courtesy, Louis; I do appreciate it. "

No problem, I know this forum is the "safe haven" for ya'll to talk and didn't want to come off as trying to disrupt that, its not my right to. I was raised that you don't come into a house and insult the host :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why, sit me down and shut my mouth, friends----it's an actual Nestorian! Holy leaping catfish, I thought there weren't any of them left after about the 14th century.

This is almost as exciting as finding a live dinosaur!

In any event, Archieve, let's review:

A) The Father is God.
B) The Son is God.
C) The Holy Spirit is God.

D) God is One. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three Persons in One Godhead; Three in One, One in Three.

E) Mary gave birth to Jesus.
F) Jesus is God.

G) Ergo, Mary is the Mother of God.

Not the Mother of God the Father, or of God the Holy Spirit, but of God the Son.

"Daughter of God the Father; Mother of God the Son; Spouse of God the Holy Spirit."

Where is the difficulty in comprehending this?

Besides, this was all settled a long time ago---better than 1,670 years ago, in fact, in a place called Nicaea.

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a friendly reminder...we like to keep the discussion on a civil level. Catholics are not on trial in our discussion forum but are willing to answer questions.

Let's keep it friendly and non-combative!

Peace,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.