Question in the sabbath

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,171.44
Faith
Messianic
Yes, those are the same scriptures I provided above showing Jesus performing work on the Sabbath. Now, since you tagged my comment...Can you give me one New Testament scripture verse stating what work Jesus did NOT perform on the Sabbath that his Father forbid?
Yeshua is not a gentle nor are any of the writers of Yeshua's life. Their minds do not think that way, thus it isn't even a subject to discuss or write about. The only things mentioned are those things that other Jews have oral torah issues with. In those, the writers explain what Yeshua said about why He did what He did and His rational on why it is done,... weightier matters of the law.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have not found the verse in the New Testament that states that Jesus did not kindle a fire on the Sabbath Day because it was forbidden.
You evidently missed my point. It is not a New Testament verse which is why I gave you the reference Exodus 35:3. It was only an example of a command that Yeshua kept. Was he living under the Old Covenant? Yes. Was he obligated to obey every command? Yes. Did he obey every command? Yes (Hebrews 4:15), otherwise it would have been sin (Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4). Did he kindle a fire on the Sabbath? No. If he did, it would have been sin. Therefore, Hebrews 4:15 teaches us that Yeshua obeyed every command and that there were no commands that he did NOT obey.
Can you give me one New Testament scripture verse stating what work Jesus did NOT perform on the Sabbath that his Father forbid?
Based on Hebrews 4:15, he did NOT perform the work of kindling a fire on the Sabbath. However, this line of questioning is at best absurd. It is like asking, "Can you give me one New Testament scripture verse stating Yeshua did NOT commit murder?" Of course there are no such examples because he never committed murder, but Hebrews 4:15 proves he never committed murder by virtue of his sinlessness (never breaking a law of YHWH).

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, those are the same scriptures I provided above showing Jesus performing work on the Sabbath. Now, since you tagged my comment...Can you give me one New Testament scripture verse stating what work Jesus did NOT perform on the Sabbath that his Father forbid?
Your question is illogical. Men of God are allowed to do (Godly works) on the Sabbath, without being guilty of breaking the Sabbath command.

Upvote 0

Northwest Savant

Jun 17, 2017
Rogue Valley
✟11,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your question is illogical. Men of God are allowed to do (Godly works) on the Sabbath, without being guilty of breaking the Sabbath command.

Not according to the Pharisees. Jesus broke the Sabbath Law according to the customs at that time. Picking grains or corn to eat on the Sabbath at that time were probably not considered Godly works. Perhaps my question seems illogical because you have not read the original post that I replied to, and are reading a subsequent posting. Sorry for the confusion. I made a point earlier, and gadar perets questioned my reasoning by stating "Among the good things he did on the 7th day was to obey his Father by not doing the kind of work his Father forbid." I responded by wanting to know where that was written. That is all.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Gentiles with them were also called Israelite's.
Exodus 12:49
The same law applies both to the native-born and to the foreigner residing among you.”
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
Leviticus 7:7
“‘The same law applies to both the sin offering and the guilt offering: They belong to the priest who makes atonement with them.
Leviticus 24:22
You are to have the same law for the foreigner and the native-born. I am the Lord your God.’”
Numbers 15:16
The same laws and regulations will apply both to you and to the foreigner residing among you.’”
Numbers 15:29
One and the same law applies to everyone who sins unintentionally, whether a native-born Israelite or a foreigner residing among you.
Bump.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not according to the Pharisees. Jesus broke the Sabbath Law according to the customs at that time. Picking grains or corn to eat on the Sabbath at that time were probably not considered Godly works. Perhaps my question seems illogical because you have not read the original post that I replied to, and are reading a subsequent posting. Sorry for the confusion. I made a point earlier, and gadar perets questioned my reasoning by stating "Among the good things he did on the 7th day was to obey his Father by not doing the kind of work his Father forbid." I responded by wanting to know where that was written. That is all.
You must have missed this post to you.

If Christ was a law breaker, then he could not have been the perfect lamb of sacrifice.

God heals on the Sabbath

John 5

King James Version (KJV)

16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

Matthew 12:3. He answered, "Haven't you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4. He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. 5. Or haven't you read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple desecrate the day and yet are innocent? 6. I tell you that one greater than the temple is here. 7. If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. 8. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Since the disciples were only getting something to eat, and not harvesting the field, then they were innocent. I also see scripture that says that they went to the synagogue or each other’s house on the seventh day. And Paul after preaching on the seventh day also instructs Christians to gather on the first day to do some work. So where can I find this Sunday commandment?

Romans 9:6. It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7. Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned." 8. In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring. 9. For this was how the promise was stated: "At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son."

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Leviticus 22:9

“‘The priests are to perform my service in such a way that they do not become guilty and die for treating it with contempt. I am the Lord, who makes them holy.

Matthew 12:12

How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

The priests in the temple break the Sabbath by performing their duties, and yet are innocent.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Jesus view seems to be that Sabbath restrictions can be set aside to relieve suffering. IIRC later Judaism adopted this view, Pikuach Nefesh

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not according to the Pharisees. Jesus broke the Sabbath Law according to the customs at that time. Picking grains or corn to eat on the Sabbath at that time were probably not considered Godly works.
The key word is "customs". Yeshua may have broken the traditions and customs of men and the rules THEY imposed on the Sabbath (which is not sin), but he did not break the Sabbath in his Father's eyes (which is sin). He came to show men that health and life take precedence over the Sabbath.

Upvote 0