Question for Greek Orthodox christians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolas222

Jan 11, 2004
✟16,027.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Hi. I was looking for the nature of sinfulness of a certain act and I was looking at the web site http://www.oca.org and it gave me the answer i was looking for. It is an Orthodox website, but I dont know if it had correlating data with the Greek Orthodox church because it is called Orthodox Christiand in America. Is this site correct for me?

Thanks,
Nick

Nikolas222

Jan 11, 2004
✟16,027.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
no but there are a few differences. They are the same denomination and Church, but they are seperated from each other For example:

-Church is either Greek, RUssian, Serbian, etc...

-Divine Liturgy said in Diffrent language

-Extra traditions

-other stuff

for the Greek Orthodox info, i got to goarch.com (Greek Orthodox ARCHdiocese). I just didnt know if the sites were in communion with each other because of cultural diffrences

Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Orthodox Church- Telling The Truth Since 33 A.D.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟19,548.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
HommeDeDieu said:
no but there are a few differences. They are the same denomination and Church, but they are seperated from each other For example:

-Church is either Greek, RUssian, Serbian, etc...

-Divine Liturgy said in Diffrent language

-Extra traditions

-other stuff

for the Greek Orthodox info, i got to goarch.com (Greek Orthodox ARCHdiocese). I just didnt know if the sites were in communion with each other because of cultural diffrences
There is no difference in beliefs between different jurisdictions.:)

Upvote 0
M

Matthias

Haha, yeah, I feel terrible at asking Andreas to see if he could fix it! Through taking Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan, I have taken a real interest in China, its language, culture, and way of life.

I'm going to take an acupuncture course/degree after my BA/BTeach degree. I have such a deep interest in Chinese medicine and believe it is far superior to Western medicine.

If you ever take a Shaolin Kung Fu class you'll definitely enjoy it. The meditation and spirituality that goes alongside it is absolutely amazing. I'm definitely planning to decorate my room with Chinese posters and idols and get some Chinese clothing.

Andreas, I am definitely sure that flag will come in handy sometime down the track. Maybe Erwin will let me have two flags? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,192,084.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matthias said:
If you ever take a Shaolin Kung Fu class you'll definitely enjoy it. The meditation and spirituality that goes alongside it is absolutely amazing. I'm definitely planning to decorate my room with Chinese posters and idols and get some Chinese clothing.

I don't quite know what to make of this, but it does not leave me with a good feeling :(. Caution, grasshopper. The evil one has many snairs.

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HommeDeDieu said:
i meant cultural diffrences. I know that we are all one church. What we need now in our time is an anti-schism machine or something.
Homme,
Just so you understand. There is no schism between the OCA and GOARCH. The two are both fully canonical and in communion with one another. In NE Ohio where I live (Canton specifically) there are two large Greek parishes, St.Haralambo's and Holy Trinity. When His Eminence, Metropolitan Maximos celbrates divine services there, many of us OCA folks from Holy Assumption attend. During Holy Week, the entire Orthodox community in the area (Serbs, Russians, Antiochians and Greeks) gathered at the other large Greek parish Holy Trinity for the service of Holy Unction. On the feast of the Annunciation, we gathered at Holy Annunciation(GOC) in Akron, a multi-ethnic celebration of this holy feast. If there are ethnic divisions, I agree, there dhould not be. But don't let ethnicity keep you from experiencing the many wonderful treasures that the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church has to offer.You are obviously a bright and devout yuoung man and I am greatly encourgaed that a 14 yr. old has such a strong interest in matters of faith. Rest asured that the OCA is a wonderful resource in your sojurn.
His unworthy servant,
Eusebios.
:bow:
p.s.-I have the GOARCH site bookmarked in my "favorites: section.

Upvote 0

countrymousenc

Dances With Mop
Jan 26, 2004
North Carolina, USA
✟2,098.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matthias said:

Matthias, please forgive me for being presumptious, but I don't think this is a good thing. Please talk to your priest about it before you do anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think you should still talk to your priest about whether you should be doing this. Eastern philosophy permeates the martial arts and it can be very subtle. It's amazing how massage therapy is steeped in Eastern philosophy. My sister-in-law is a massage therapist so I hear a lot about the underlying theory behind it. Please talk to your priest/spiritual father about this. It may not be so innocent.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.