North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by sulphur
Again I say that nothing in the universe is constant. "If the speed of light varies,potentially,it could it could have.............could have have been infinite at that time............" Professor Davies Macquarie University
NATURE august 2002

the speed of light will be the same as it is now and it will be that way forever.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Originally posted by sulphur
Again I say that nothing in the universe is constant. "If the speed of light varies,potentially,it could it could have.............could have have been infinite at that time............" Professor Davies Macquarie University
NATURE august 2002

While I haven't yet read the specific article in question ("Black Holes Constrain Varying Constants"), I have read a number of other articles on the subject. From what I can gather, the current evidence is rather speculative and certainly doesn't overturn General Relativity (partially to blame, it would seem, is the mainstream media exploiting such findings for the purposes of headlines).

Interesting stuff, but certainly not conclusive. At least, not yet.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by npetreley
So? Most ex-athiests I know were once evolutionists. And your point is?

The claim is made above that evolution is the first step towards God rejection.

Both you and I seem to be agreeing that that is not the case - evolutionists have become believers and non-evolution believers have become atheists.

Upvote 0
 :sigh: :sigh:
Originally posted by Pete Harcoff
While I haven't yet read the specific article in question ("Black Holes Constrain Varying Constants"), I have read a number of other articles on the subject. From what I can gather, the current evidence is rather speculative and certainly doesn't overturn General Relativity (partially to blame, it would seem, is the mainstream media exploiting such findings for the purposes of headlines).

Interesting stuff, but certainly not conclusive. At least, not yet.

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by RCC
Because I believe Evolution is the first step in rejecting God. Yes, many Christians teach that theistic Evolution is OK, but this to me is just wrong, because I believe most theistic Evolutionists will reject God sooner or later. So it has a lot to do with the salvation. I believe this mindset is very prone to rejecting God.

In my case it was taking the time and finding out that most of the YEC "evidence" was false that lead me to almost drop Christianity.

I bought into the lie that if YEC was not true the bible and Christianity would also be false.

It was evolution and a few good friends that lead me back to Christianity.

I ask you, is your faith so weak that evolution scares you?

Do you think that God could not love you if He chose to let nature make you instead of directly doing it Himself?

Upvote 0
You are a person of faith.I see and hear how people behave,very few acknowledge the presence of aGod in their everyday affairs.Go back 200 years and God was important to more.Go back 2000 years and god/s were even more important.Should todays society be controlled by christian fundementalists?Which ones?

Upvote 0

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
Faith and Reason Ministry says this

True belief in Jesus involves repentance from sin and brings the personal presence and power of God into a human being's life. It also brings forgiveness, eternal life, and the solution to man's dilemma upon the Earth...... As far as this ministry is concerned, Jesus comes before the Bible. The Bible does not come before Jesus; although the Bible is a great work and should remain a pillar of strength for the Church which it has always been. However, inerrancy and creation science (young Earth creationism, old Earth creationism, intelligent design theory) are not accepted due to the overwhelming scientific evidence against them.

These are Christians, yet they manage to accept the evidence without losing their faith. This means the "slippery slope" to atheism by not embracing YEC is not necessaily true.

Here are other ministries and groups who have a strong Christian faith yet accept the evidence for an old Earth and evolution. Maybe you guys will feel more comfortable reading evidence from other Christians instead of us atheists.

Basically, these Christians think that the writer of Genesis was given a vision of creation (as nobody but God was there) and used symbolism and condensced and simplified complex events to be understandable by the illiterate masses of the time...much like Revelation is largely symbolic as the writer could not grasp or make understood the "realities" his vision showed him.

http://www.faithreason.org/
http://www.proofgodexists.org/
http://www.trustbible.com/
http://www.cis.org.uk/
http://www.wheaton.edu/ACG/essays/index.html
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Evolution/index.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Originally posted by Smilin
ahhhh..the conclusions are in question...

(memories of the cold fusion experiment) :confused:

It's not that the conclusions of Dr. Wang's experiment are in question. It's that the mainstream press greatly exaggerated the results of his experiment. Dr. Wang's homepage contains a FAQ on the experiment:

http://www.neci.nec.com/homepages/lwan/faq.htm

This is why getting a science education from CNN is a bad idea :(

Upvote 0
No Iwasn't but it was interesting reading.Funny things have happened in the last couple of years ,massive particles,e.g neutrinos accelerated beyond the speed of light have simply disappeared .Where did the mass go as opposed to photons which are presumed to have negligible mass.The reports are on the net but given time Iwill provide you with references.It is all fascinating stuff:I just wish I could understand more

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums