Question: Does your church avoid Genesis and Revelation?

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just curious. I've heard of this and wondering if it's generally true. Seem to be noticing a trend.

Possible thought-provoking article:
Should Churches Avoid Genesis and Revelation?

Also, I'm currently preparing for a home study on Revelation. If you know of any good materials let me know. We will focus on the literal approach, but want to hear the other arguments as well.

Apr 28, 2018
Greenville
✟15,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just curious. I've heard of this and wondering if it's generally true. Seem to be noticing a trend.

Also, I'm currently preparing for a home study on Revelation. If you know of any good materials let me know. We will focus on the literal approach, but want to hear the other arguments as well.

Even from the first chapter of Revelation we see that the literal approach is not to be taken by John describing to us what the objects meant by symbols. The scripture explains itself and combined with history Revelation is an awesome book. If a church doesn't explore this they will not know how to properly prepare their hearts for present spiritual battle.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Hello.
Genesis and Revelation go together like white on rice.

Genesis 2:9
And YAHWEH Elohim
is causing to sprout from ground every tree being coveted to sight and good for food.
And a Tree of the Life
in middle of the Garden,
and a Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Genesis 3:22
And YAHWEH Elohim is saying, “Behold! the Adam became as one of US, to know of good and evil.
And now, lest he stretch out his hand and takes also from the Tree of the Life, and eats and lives for eon”

Genesis 3:24
And He driving-out the Adam and is causing to tabernacle from east to Garden of Eden the Cherubim and flame of the sword
the one turning, to guard of way of the Tree of the Life.

Revelation 2:7
“The one having ear, let him hear! what the Spirit is saying to the Assemblies
To the one conquering
I shall be giving to him to be eating out of the Tree/Wood<3586> of the Life which is being in midst to the Paradise of the God

Revelation 22:2
In middle/midst of the broad-street of it, and of the river, hence and thence, a Wood/Tree<3586> of Life,
producing/doing twelve fruits, according to month
each rendering the fruit of it and the leaves of the Tree/Wood into cure of the Nations.

Revelation 22:14

Blessed/Happy are those rinsing their robes that it shall be the authority of them upon the Tree/Wood<3586> of the Life
and to the gates they may be entering into the City

You might be interested in this site:

THE SYMBOLISM IN BOOK OF REVELATION

One man studied and found 348 allusions (not illusions, Light) in Revelation from the Old Testament. You see the similarity in wording and the context mirrored in Revelation and the particular Old Testament story, and immediately can recognize the reference source!
That's IF you know the bible well enough to even notice that.

95 of the 348 plain references used in Revelation as taken from the Old Testament are repeated in Revelation.
That makes about 250 Old Testament passages are cited. How many chapters are in Revelation? 22. That makes about TEN OLD TESTAMENT REFERENCES FOR EVERY CHAPTER!..........................
==============================

This is a favorite commentator of mine and he puts up some very lengthy commentaries, especially on the 7 churches and references the OT fairly heavily [as I also do].
Anyway, here is a link to his site.

Kingdom Bible Studies Table of Contents

Kindgdom Bible Studies Revelation Series Part 1

The mark of the beast. Armageddon. The Four Horsemen. The false prophet. Babylon the great. Falling stars, stinging locusts, and giant hailstones. The seven last plagues. The bottomless pit. The lake of fire. These images of terror and catastrophe from the book of Revelation have greatly influenced the thinking of millions of Christians through the ages.

Even the secular press uses images such as "Armageddon" and "four horsemen of the Apocalypse" to describe calamities in our world. Despite 1900 years of fascination with the book of Revelation, John’s letter to the seven Churches of Asia continues to be misunderstood. And badly misinterpreted!

One misconception shared by some is that the Revelation has nothing of importance to say to us. It’s considered to be merely a bizarre piece of first-century writing with no relevance for today. Another wrong idea is that the Revelation is a code book describing a specific outline of history written in advance.

Countless interpreters have tried to "decode" the book from a historical perspective to find all the major world events of the past 1900 years. Others interpret it more literally as a handbook for predicting the cataclysmic events that will bring the final wrath of God and the end of the world. The claims of Christian groups from the early church to the present — that the Revelation pinpoints the events, personalities, and time periods of "the end" — have all failed.

This should be a caution to believers for using the book of Revelation as a predictive handbook. Other people’s interpretation of the book of Revelation is based on the "Pan Theory" — it’s all going to pan out in the end! Beloved brethren, the fact is, it’s not panning out the way the end-time prognosticators are projecting!

Through the years I have ministered the Word in Bible studies, seminars, and church services of various types. When there has been a question and answer session, or when opportunity was granted for people to request teaching along a particular line, the most often requested subject has been — THE BOOK OF REVELATION!
I have met people who were babes in Christ, carnal Christians whose lives were a mess, they had incredible problems and needs, including deliverance, and instead of prayer or counsel or messages that would help them overcome and grow up in Christ, they wanted me to teach them the book of Revelation! "Yeah, brother, that’s for me, lay it on me, I want the book of Revelation!.^_^..............

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not at all. We read Genesis every year and Revelation comes up periodically as well.

This is all good to hear. I believe there are conservative churches all over the country that wouldn't deprive their congregation of these books, particularly Gen. 1-11.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Although I shouldn't be surprised posting this in an eschatology forum. :doh:
^_^
Was that a response to any post in particular or just a generalization of the whole board......

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
^_^
Was that a response to any post in particular or just a generalization of the whole board......

Yeah, I mean, I would think there'd be a concentration of eschatology buffs here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

A lot of Revelation is literal(just as much of OT prophecy is) but a lot of it is also symbolic. Also remember that much of prophecy is a puzzle(meaning reading it straight through will not yield a correct interpretation) so it will take awhile to put together all the pieces.

May God bless and Guide you in your studies.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A lot of Revelation is literal(just as much of OT prophecy is) but a lot of it is also symbolic. Also remember that much of prophecy is a puzzle(meaning reading it straight through will not yield a correct interpretation) so it will take awhile to put together all the pieces.

May God bless and Guide you in your studies.

Thanks, and I agree with the above. Literal can be a confusing word. We're looking at Revelation in the sense that 2nd coming prophecies are just as literal as 1st coming prophecies. We're also looking at the symbols as literally what John saw in his vision, and we'll try to interpret them as logically as possible when the text doesn't explicitly interpret them.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This is one of the best studies of Revelation I've ever found.

Agape Bible Study Lessons for the Revelation Study

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToServe

Sep 18, 2018
Sydney
✟29,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The enemy within does not play by any rules. The strategy by the enemy within is to take out the beginning and to take out the ending of scripture and so as a result what do you get?

Scripture without a beginning and without an ending and this is a sure way for the enemy to insert their own beginning (conflict) and their own ending (solution) by creating their very own personal gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We will focus on the literal approach, but want to hear the other arguments as well.

Much of the Book of Revelation is symbolic, based on the words of Christ in Revelation 1:20.

Since Christ returns in Revelation 16:15-16, and also in chapter 19, we know the book is not in chronological order.
Instead, the book is a series of overlapping visions.

Christ returns at the end of chapter 6, with those hiding from the wrath of the Lamb. They would not be hiding unless the Lamb is present at this point in time. The sun turns black, and the stars fall, just as they do in the Olivet Discourse.

Christ returns at the 7th trumpet, which is the last trumpet in the Bible, and the "time of the judgment of the dead" in Revelation 11:15-18.

The beginning of chapter 12 is a history lesson, which includes the fall of Satan and the birth and death of Christ.

He returns in the "harvest" of chapter 14.
This is much like the parable of the wheat and tares from Matthew chapter 13.

He returns at the end of chapter 20.
The "time of the judgment of the dead" was found in Revelation 11:18, and it is found again here.
Based on 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10, Christ returns in "flaming fire" taking vengeance on those who do not know God.
The fire comes at the end of chapter 20.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,487.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Interesting article. I don't particularly avoid Genesis but would admit I probably don't preach on it very often. I preach on Revelation a lot, though; almost as often as the lectionary offers it as an option.

My favourite resource on Revelation (not perfect, but then, what is? But very good) is a book called Discipleship on the Edge: An Expository Journey Through the Book of Revelation, by Darrell W. Johnson.

• Informative
Reactions: Calminian
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We will focus on the literal approach, but want to hear the other arguments as well.

Well, if in your "Literal Approach" you find that right away must spiritualize, elasticize and metaphorize the very first passage:

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, 2 who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw. 3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.

I would then submit that your approach is not as literal as you might assume.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting article. I don't particularly avoid Genesis but would admit I probably don't preach on it very often. I preach on Revelation a lot, though; almost as often as the lectionary offers it as an option.

My favourite resource on Revelation (not perfect, but then, what is? But very good) is a book called Discipleship on the Edge: An Expository Journey Through the Book of Revelation, by Darrell W. Johnson.

Ron Rhodes is a very intelligent guy with a gift for explaining things. He's well known for his Reasoning from the Scriptures... books dealing with cults like mormons and JW's. But recently he's written a slew of books on end times and prophecy. I would highly recommend them.

Yes, he's going to take the pre-millennial view, but contrasts his view with many others. If anything you'll learn the pre-millennial pre-trib view clearly, even though you'll likely disagree. That's not to say you're not already familiar with it (I'm positive you are), he just has a way of arguing things a little better than most. One of the most persuasive people I've ever listened to.

Here's a link to most of his end times material.

I've read, End-Times Super Trends, The 8 Great Debates of Bible Prophecy, 40 Days Through Revelation, 40 Days Through Daniel.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0