Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no such thing as an Indian elephant. They are called Asian elephants. I am pretty sure India is not the only country the species lives in.

I always wondered why the symbol animal for the Republican Party is an elephant.

BTW did you know there used to be four elephant species living at the same time? I have no idea when or where the extinct elephants lived.

North Africa had elephants. Carthaginians and Romans captured them as used them as war elephants and in the arenas, they went extinct around two millennia ago.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone knows that the American Republican Party is represented by an elephant.

Is the elephant an African elephant or an Indian elephant?
As a hardcore Republican, it really doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1697900503898.png

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Since I started this thread, I have learned something about donkeys. I live in a rural Florida county where there are a lot of cattle ranches. It is not unusual to see donkeys in the fields with the cattle. I was wondering why farmers/ranchers keep donkeys. People ride horses but I haven’t seen anyone riding a donkey. I don’t see anyone using a donkey cart.

Someone told me that cattle can be attacked by coyotes. Coyotes are found almost everywhere in the continental US. Cows seem to be helpless against coyotes but for some reason coyotes are reluctant to attack a donkey. Ranchers believe that cattle are safer from coyotes with a donkey around.

There you have it. Donkeys are still relevant in the 21st century America. Elephants have never been a useful in the USA. In the donkey, Democrats have a much better symbol than the Republican elephant.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Someone told me that cattle can be attacked by coyotes. Coyotes are found almost everywhere in the continental US. Cows seem to be helpless against coyotes but for some reason coyotes are reluctant to attack a donkey. Ranchers believe that cattle are safer from coyotes with a donkey around.

There you have it. Donkeys are still relevant in the 21st century America. Elephants have never been a useful in the USA. In the donkey, Democrats have a much better symbol than the Republican elephant.
Donkeys are rather aggressive creatures, who don't care for coyotes. Usually, it's good to have several in a pasture; they like to work in teams. One-on-one with a coyote, there's usually no contest:
T3GX4XAOQU66U3RJBZVKDI76TM.png

Reactions: Dale
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
African elephants have a rounded head and big ears. Indian elephants have a twin domed head and smaller ears. Most Republican portrayals do not have the twin dome though I note the cartoon above is ambiguous on that with smaller ears also. So I guess the Republican elephant is mainly an African elephant but the sketch artists may sometimes copy Indian elephants from whatever picture is in front of them for the symbol design.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know why Democrats are represented by the donkey. it is specifically a jackass, from then-President Andrew Jackson's unpopularity. But I always wondered why an elephant was chosen to symbolize the Republican Party.
"What are the good qualities of elephants?
Elephants are highly sensitive and caring with well developed social behaviours, demonstrating empathy and concern for others within the family group and beyond. They are highly intelligent animals with complex emotions, feelings, compassion and self-awareness."

It seem to me both representations are appropriate.

Upvote 0

AlightSeeker

Nov 16, 2023
Canton
✟6,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Republican politicians may say that they're like elephants who never forget, but they forgot God's command. Just like democrat.politicians have also. This is what I mean, please read this thread, thank you.

Upvote 0