Question about the flood

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What was the purpose of saving the animals?

Besides animals being food for us, they also can make great pets;
Animals can also teach us things, too.

“Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise” (Proverbs 6:6).

Also, God cares for the animals.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father." (Matthew 10:29).

"So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:31).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Questions like this should be asked in the Christians section only. Atheists have no understanding of what the Bible says and they should not involve themselves in answering such questions; For one, they are unqualified. Two, they are primarily seeking to mock God's Word (Which really is not helpful for the person who is truly seeking the truth within the Scriptures).

Upvote 0

GatodeQ

Aug 18, 2017
Gatineau
✟9,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I feel like I'm under fire here... these forums are a really scary place to ask questions!

But this is probably my fault. My question might not have been clear enough. So I'll give it another try:

What my Question is: God asked Noah to build an ark to save the animals. The animals were his own creation. He could have re-created them after the flood.

Therefore, what was the purpose of saving the animals?
Or, in other words, why go through all the trouble?

What the Question is not:
a) do you believe in God
b) do you believe the Bible
c) do you believe the event of the flood

Thank you for not shooting me on site and for not judging me.
Lets treat one another as brothers.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Questions like this should be asked in the Christians section only. Atheists have no understanding of what the Bible says and they should not involve themselves in answering such questions; For one, they are unqualified. Two, they are primarily seeking to mock God's Word (Which really is not helpful for the person who is truly seeking the truth within the Scriptures).

GadtodeQ is an atheist and can't ask in that part of this forum. And please, on average atheists have a better understanding off the Bible than the average Christian. That is often why they are atheists in the first place. And no, there is no reason at all that you can claim that atheists are "unqualified". Third the Bible is not "God's Word". That is in fact a rather blasphemous statement considering the countless errors in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟735,203.00
Faith
Humanist
What was the purpose of saving the animals?

An important reason apparently was to have animals to sacrifice to God as burnt offerings after all other living things had been wiped out.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
GadtodeQ is an atheist and can't ask in that part of this forum. And please, on average atheists have a better understanding off the Bible than the average Christian. That is often why they are atheists in the first place. And no, there is no reason at all that you can claim that atheists are "unqualified". Third the Bible is not "God's Word". That is in fact a rather blasphemous statement considering the countless errors in the Bible.

Nobody goes to a doctor to get their car fixed. So no. You are wrong. You have to have faith and believe in the Scriptures in order to get understanding from the Lord. It is a spiritual book that is spiritually discerned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Nobody goes to a doctor to get their car fixed. So no. You are wrong. You have to have faith and believe in the Scriptures in order to get understanding from the Lord. It is a spiritual book that is spiritually discerned.

That is a major non sequitur on your part. And no, it makes no sense at all that one has to believe a myth to understand a myth. If your God is real you should be able to understand him without "faith". In fact "faith" is the worst of all reasons to believe anything. Faith will lead you to Islam or Hinduism just as it will lead you to Christianity. Faith is not a path to the truth. You are also claiming that your God is an unjust God when you do that.

But then logical thought is eliminated by the cognitive dissonance that is involved in preserving a failed belief. We know that there was no flood. And since there are other threads for this we can discuss that elsewhere.

Let's get back to the OP's question. If God is real why didn't he merely recreate the animals after the flood? No one has really offered any answer that could not have been more easily answered with God creating the animals all over again.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What my Question is: God asked Noah to build an ark to save the animals. The animals were his own creation. He could have re-created them after the flood.

The Noah flood myth appears to be based on earlier flood stories (see the Epic of Gilgamesh for example). Ergo, it likely takes elements of those earlier tellings for its own.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Noah flood myth appears to be based on earlier flood stories (see the Epic of Gilgamesh for example). Ergo, it likely takes elements of those earlier tellings for its own.
And how did that happen, seeing as Sumeria was built by Noah's great grandson Nimrod?

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
And how did that happen, seeing as Sumeria was built by Noah's great grandson Nimrod?
No, the myth says that.

You have a hard time in separating reality from fantasy at times AV. You should thank the ACLU every day of your life.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, the myth says that.
Also keep in mind that Shem, Noah's son, lived right up to the time of Jacob; as an eyewitness of the Flood.

Remember my little conversation I made up?

Shem: What's this trash you wrote, Nimrod; are you okay!?
Nimrod: Don't start on me again, uncle; you've always looked down on us Hamites.
Shem: That's garbage too! You used to be a mighty hunter before the LORD, what went wrong?
Nimrod: You think you Shemites are so much better than us, just because my grandfather was cursed for what his father did to your father in that tent that day.
Shem: I watched you grow up, Nimrod, and how you used to love the LORD so much; but somewhere along the line you went astray and broke away from the rest of us and went and formed your own little empire. Well ... you do what you want, but as long as I live, I'll make sure my eyewitness testimony trumps your lies.
Nimrod: And what makes you an authority on the Flood over me?
Shem: I was there! Remember??? I was on the Ark ... you weren't!
Nimrod: Oh, that's right ... somehow I forgot ... what with there being no evidence and all.
Shem: [facepalms]

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Also keep in mind that Shem, Noah's son, lived right up to the time of Jacob; as an eyewitness of the Flood.

I can see that logic still escapes you. Yes, Spiderman helped Ironman out. And they both live in New York City at times. Does that make them real?

Remember my little conversation I made up?

Shem: What's this trash you wrote, Nimrod; are you okay!?
Nimrod: Don't start on me again, uncle; you've always looked down on us Hamites.
Shem: That's garbage too! You used to be a mighty hunter before the LORD, what went wrong?
Nimrod: You think you Shemites are so much better than us, just because my grandfather was cursed for what his father did to your father in that tent that day.
Shem: I watched you grow up, Nimrod, and how you used to love the LORD so much; but somewhere along the line you went astray and broke away from the rest of us and went and formed your own little empire. Well ... you do what you want, but as long as I live, I'll make sure my eyewitness testimony trumps your lies.
Nimrod: And what makes you an authority on the Flood over me?
Shem: I was there! Remember??? I was on the Ark ... you weren't!
Nimrod: Oh, that's right ... somehow I forgot ... what with there being no evidence and all.
Shem: [facepalms]

And I can make up conversations between Captain America and Thor too.

So what is your point?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what is your point?
My point is that saying Noah's flood was based on the Epic of Gilgamesh is like saying Darwin's, The Preservation of Favoured Races was based on Mein Kampf.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My point is that saying Noah's flood was based on the Epic of Gilgamesh is like saying Darwin's, The Preservation of Favoured Races was based on Mein Kampf.

Well then you merely as much as admitted your error. In fact your error is more than doubled. First since Hitler was a Christian and he based a lot of hate on his religious beliefs it would be far more correct to try to tie Mein Kampf to the Bible. Second we know that Darwin's work predated Mein Kampf and we know that the Epic of Gilgamesh predated Genesis.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hitler wasn't a Christian. In fact, he was a type of the Antichrist.
No, he was one. He was merely not the same sort of Christian that you are. There are thousands upon thousands of variations of what a "Christian" is. He merely abused his Christian beliefs far worse than the worst of creationists here.

Upvote 0