Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, it's not a matter of vocabulary. It's the sentence structure.
And yet ... according to you ... It isn't confusing.

But didn't you say at one time that you had ADD or some reading comprehension problem or something?

Why, if you aren't confused, do you think I shouldn't promote the KJB?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Didn't you jump me once for using big words, when simpler words would do?
Who me? I try very hard not to use a small, simple word when two or three big ones will do almost as good a job.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,268.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The meaning doesn't really change, and they both have similar vocabulary, but the sentence structure is very different.
Completely off-topic, I find the KJV much more intelligible and certainly richer in texture. Not that the NIV is difficult to understand, simply that the KJV is more fluent. (And it has nothing to do with your central or ancillary points.)

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
reading a book 5 times wouldn't wear it out
This was back before computers and I underline as I read. I am sure I read some of those Bibles more then once but I am going by the fact that I have five Bibles that are underlined. Someday I would like to go back and read the parts I underline. Also I have a rubbermaid container filled with notebooks of notes I took when I was at church or Bible studies. I would take the notes and the when I got home I would copy them over again in a different notebook.
I'm not claiming you haven't read it. I'm claiming you haven't studied it. What do you know of the culture of the people that wrote it? Of the various translations and their history? These are the sorts of things people that have studied the bible should know about.
I talk about his all the time. I went to a private college prep boarding school in Conn back in the late 60's. We had an ancient history class taught by the principal of the school. He was a Holocaust survivor and he escaped Germany before the war. So I have been studying ancient history for over 50 years now. I know quite a bit about the people in the Tigris Euphrates river valley 6,000 years ago in the area the Bible calls Eden. I have studied much of the archaeology that pertain to this time and place. Also I have studied what the PHd's at the Jerusalem universities say about the botany and the domestication of wild plants in the middle east. All of the plants and animals that we read about in the Bible.

Actually our text book in High School was written by James Breasted. He is the man that coined the phrase Cradle of Civilization. Science has of course put a lot of work into understanding how man transitioned from a hunter gather to a food producer. The Bible and science 100% agree with each other in all the studies I have done on Ancient Mesopotamia and all the cities we read about in the Bible. For example we read about the wall of Jericho and how they came tumbling down when Joshua fought the battle of Jericho. If we study the archaeology of ancient Jericho the walls are still there on the ground. There most likely was an earthquake at the time. Of course I have studied plate technocratic and the Arab plate happens to be 1500 miles by 1500 miles. The size of the New Jerusalem that is going to come down from Heaven. We are told that the Red Sea will be no more. When Napoleon built the Suez Canal the engineers were very concerned that the Red Sea would be drained. That did not happen but I believe there is a time in the future when the Sea will be drained.

Just what is it in regards to the Bible and Ancient History that you think you are so much more of an expert then I am that you would like to have a conversation on. Would you like to talk about Adam and Eve and the life they lived 6,000 years ago? Would you like to talk about Noah and how he saved all the domesticated animals in the Middle East? Do you know the difference between a wild plant and a domesticated plant is the ability to carry the seeds with you and replant them. Wild seeds are spread by the wind. Domesticated plants are seeds collected by man and replanted. Actually this began with the women. They would collect the seeds in their baskets and they would thrown them in the wet flooded ground in the spring. Then they would come back in the fall to collect their grains. Even as far back as 20,000 years ago they had mills to turn the seed into a flour. I think so that the grains were easier to chew and easier on their teeth. One day I studied the history of a pie and it goes way way back to when they would take the flour from the grain and mix it with water and whatever fruit they could find and cook it ear the fire. Not so different from the pop tarts we make in our toaster today. People study the ancient diet of ancient man and exp they study how man became civilized at the time of Adam and Eve and how man began to herd animals and till the ground to plant their crops. So man's population could increase because he now could produce a lot more food to keep a lot more people alive. Even with the industrial revolution man could produce more food and thus feed more people.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that what you do? see all churches the same?
Peter tells us we are all living stones fitted and joined together into one spiritual building. Of course in Revelation John talks about 7 different church and I think all the churches today are one of those 7 churches that John talks about.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is that what you do? see all churches the same?
Obviously not. I just don’t see any church as being correct and I wondered if you could help me understand how you came to believe in yours. Are you unwilling to do that?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Obviously not. I just don’t see any church as being correct and I wondered if you could help me understand how you came to believe in yours. Are you unwilling to do that?
Sure.

The same Person who sits in our congregation resides in my spirit.

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure.

The same Person who sits in our congregation resides in my spirit.

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
I know that’s what you believe, I’m asking why.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
But didn't you say at one time that you had ADD or some reading comprehension problem or something?
ADD isn't a problem in reading comprehension specifically... it's a learning disorder. My reading comprehension is actually really good as long as I have interest in what I am reading. It's only a problem if I have to read large, unbroken paragraphs, which the bible actually doesn't have too much of. You may be confusing this for when I mentioned that my fiance has dyslexia... which is kinda a cruel word for sufferers to try to spell.

Why, if you aren't confused, do you think I shouldn't promote the KJB?
-_- my capacity to understand the perspective of other people may be impaired a bit by autism, but I can tell to some extent what is liable to confuse other people that wouldn't confuse me personally.

Upvote 0