ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think the best way to ask this question is to first state my understanding of the 1,000 year reign of Christ and then ask my question. I'm hoping for the responses to either correct my understanding of the 1,000 year reign, or if my understanding of it is correct, then hopefully as good answer can be provided.

My understanding:
1. Christ will literally and physically dwell on earth for 1,000 years.
2. During this reign, Christ will literally reign. Meaning, He will be in charge of a singular, worldwide government.
3. All Christians who have died or were raptured will dwell on earth with Christ and in some fashion reign with him.
4. There will still exist people who are not Christians.
5. At the end of the 1,000 year reign Satan will be released for a time and then there will be a war.

Ok, so my first question is simple - Are my 5 points correct? If they are correct, follow me into my scenario and question.....

The time is 450 years into the 1,000 year reign of Christ. The question centers around a 35 year old man, named John. John is NOT a Christian. My question is simple - why is John not a Christian?

Let's consider John's situation. He is 35 years old, has lived his entire life during the reign of Christ. Both his neighbors are Christians that were martyred for their faith some 800 year ago. Yet, here they are... living next to John. The world is at peace, and is ruled by Jesus Christ, who has been ruling now for 450 years and has done a pretty much perfect job.

Why exactly is John refusing to believe that Christ is who he said he is? At this point, I have to imagine it would not really take much faith to believe in Christ or the Bible. We literally have Christ reigning forever. John literally has neighbors who are not aging, who are perfect in character, who never get sick, and who really are the best neighbors anyone could imagine.

John is aging. John gets sick. Don't you think John might look around at his neighbor who came back from the dead when Christ showed up and is now living next to him and has lived there for 450 year and think to himself, "hmm, maybe there is something to this Bible story."

It just makes no sense to me how anyone could live during the 1,000 year reign, especially when we get pretty far into it - and not believe.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Adstar

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the best way to ask this question is to first state my understanding of the 1,000 year reign of Christ and then ask my question. I'm hoping for the responses to either correct my understanding of the 1,000 year reign, or if my understanding of it is correct, then hopefully as good answer can be provided.

My understanding:
2. During this reign, Christ will literally reign. Meaning, He will be in charge of a singular, worldwide government.
3. All Christians who have died or were raptured will dwell on earth with Christ and in some fashion reign with him.
5. At the end of the 1,000 year reign Satan will be released for a time and then there will be a war.

Ok, so my first question is simple - Are my 5 points correct? If they are correct, follow me into my scenario and question.....

The time is 450 years into the 1,000 year reign of Christ. The question centers around a 35 year old man, named John. John is NOT a Christian. My question is simple - why is John not a Christian?

Let's consider John's situation. He is 35 years old, has lived his entire life during the reign of Christ. Both his neighbors are Christians that were martyred for their faith some 800 year ago. Yet, here they are... living next to John. The world is at peace, and is ruled by Jesus Christ, who has been ruling now for 450 years and has done a pretty much perfect job.

Why exactly is John refusing to believe that Christ is who he said he is? At this point, I have to imagine it would not really take much faith to believe in Christ or the Bible. We literally have Christ reigning forever. John literally has neighbors who are not aging, who are perfect in character, who never get sick, and who really are the best neighbors anyone could imagine.

John is aging. John gets sick. Don't you think John might look around at his neighbor who came back from the dead when Christ showed up and is now living next to him and has lived there for 450 year and think to himself, "hmm, maybe there is something to this Bible story."

It just makes no sense to me how anyone could live during the 1,000 year reign, especially when we get pretty far into it - and not believe.

Thoughts?

Forget everything you have ever heard and start in the link below.

"Amillennialism: A Brief Sketch of Amillennial Eschatology" by Anthony Hoekema

Christ will not rule over a world where sin and death remains when He returns.
He has already defeated both at Calvary.

In 2 Peter chapter 3, Peter is looking for a New Heavens and a New Earth.
I am looking for the same thing on the "Day of the Lord", when He "comes as a thief", which is also found in 1 Thessalonians chapters 4 and 5 and Revelation 16:15-16.

If there was a 1,000 year reign after Christ returned and one of the mortals died, would Christ preside over the funeral service?
I cannot bring myself to see it...

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Right.... thanks for the unhelpful replies.

I'm looking for people who actually believe in the 1,000 year reign to respond to my question. I'm trying to be honest to the theology behind those who hold to the 1,000 year reign, which is why I outlined the foundation that my question is based on.

So to any of you out there that hold to a literal 1,000 year reign of Christ, what do you think of my question?

Upvote 0

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right.... thanks for the unhelpful replies.

My understanding:
Yes, I believe this is what scripture indicates.
As far as why someone still wouldn't choose (not believe) Christ, I can think of a couple of reasons:
1. As mentioned it is not just belief (as the demon's also believe all the truths about Christ)
2. It is choosing to invite Him into your life; it is humbling yourself to recognize your need
3. Satan is an example of someone who had all the evidence, but pride still won out
4. I think it was King Asa who had the foot disease, it says that even with that when he was old, he still wouldn't turn to the Lord for help. So again don't underestimate pride. Relationship with God requires you recognize your need; it requires you come under authority (in your heart, not just in your actions).

Upvote 0

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Forget everything you have ever heard and start in the link below.
"Amillennialism: A Brief Sketch of Amillennial Eschatology" by Anthony Hoekema
Is that 'brief sketch' or 'sketchy brief'? Amillennialism fails on two points: 1) it does not recognize prophetic perspective that scripture is full of (i.e., the multiple layers of fullfillment of many events). A prime example is the 'abomination of desolation' from Daniel, which had already been fulfilled by the Greeks in the Temple, which Christ in Matthew 24 pulls back into the future. The Roman fulfillment was just another one, but not the final 2) Amillennialism requires that the Christian resurrection has already occurred; which would really suck if true, and kind of dash a big reason for our Hopes (in fact this falsehood that Jesus had already did it, was what Paul wrote against in 2 Thes 2)

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

My understanding:

Thoughts?

Because "John" loves his sin.

Isaiah 65:20 states in the new earth, the sinner will die at 100 years old. Why they will choose to die that way, I have no idea.

Every sinner now has the same exact choice "John" will have, but just under different circumstances.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My understanding:

Thoughts?

Why assume it has something to do with believing? I look at like they got to experience Christ and His saints governing the entire planet for a thousand years, then tested at the end in order to see what they might choose. Look at satan, he wasn't always evil was he? Did he not know God face to face for who knows how long, knowing very well if he were to ever cross Him, he would be doomed? Yet he eventually rebelled anyway, didn't he?

Here's something to think about. The following is apparently post the 2nd coming.

Isaiah 66:24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Have you ever wondered what the purpose of this might be, post the 2nd coming? Could it be to instill fear in the mortal survivors, that this too could be their fate as well if anyone tries to cross Him after having governed the planet with His immortal saints for a thousand years?

Zechariah 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.
17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.
18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.
19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Isn't this too meaning a time after the 2nd coming? If satan is bound in the pit once the 2nd coming occurs, and then loosed a little season, not hard to picture some of these joining satan's side and rebelling against Christ and His saints who have been ruling the planet with a rod of iron for the past thousand years.

Reactions: Adstar
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

My understanding:

Yes i believe as you do..

Why do you assume Jhon would not believe Jesus and trust in the atonement? John will be living a normal life under the rulership of Jesus and Christian Saints. This means he will be subject to the rule of others all his life.. If he accepts that rule i do not see any reason why John would not be acceptable to enjoy eternal life upon the reasurection at the end of the 1000 Years..

Why exactly is John refusing to believe that Christ is who he said he is?

Again why are you assuming John is refusing to believe that Christ is who He is ? Imagine if you where John you are born into the world and you find out there are people there who have been reasurected and are not eternal they never grow old or die and that the leader of the world is the LORD Jesus Christ.. There is perfect rule, zero corruption, the saints are sinless beings.. Could a person like that disbelieve in Jesus??

At this point, I have to imagine it would not really take much faith to believe in Christ or the Bible. We literally have Christ reigning forever. John literally has neighbors who are not aging, who are perfect in character, who never get sick, and who really are the best neighbors anyone could imagine.

Exactly :) so whats the problem?

Thoughts?

Again why do you think they would not believe in Jesus?

Oh and PS:: Don't be discouraged by the fact that most do not believe in the 1000 years.. I had a plesant surprise reading your post because i do not find many that believe in the 1000 year reign of the LORD Jesus Christ on earth.. I see in this thread another one who believe as we do.. BONUS :D

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HI SPF,

The only thing I see as incorrect is #4. I agree with all of your other points. The Scriptures are pretty clear that those who died at the hands of God's wrath and those who remained in their graves that were not raptured by the Lord, will remain in their graves until after the 1,000 year reign.

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Let's consider John's situation. He is 35 years old, has lived his entire life during the reign of Christ. Both his neighbors are Christians that were martyred for their faith some 800 year ago. Yet, here they are... living next to John.

I'm not a Premillennialist, but for the sake of argument I'll defend your position, somewhat. Your assumption is that John, an unbeliever, is living within the kingdom among believers. One thing the Amillennialists get right even from your perspective is in recognizing that the Kingdom of Heaven has Christians as its citizens. The New Jerusalem is described as the dwelling place of God's people (Revelation 21). Therefore, your character, John, has never entered it (Revelation 21:27). Every unsaved person has lived outside of the messianic nation for the entire reign of Christ, and all of them are outcasts for the entire duration of their unbelief. Some would portray them as utter barbarians, a leftover savage race after the world was nearly destroyed not only by the wrath of God but also by the wrath of mankind. Yeah, I can see John rejecting the messianic kingdom. Angels, who should know better, have done the same.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A prime example is the 'abomination of desolation' from Daniel, which had already been fulfilled by the Greeks in the Temple, which Christ in Matthew 24 pulls back into the future.

Matt. 24
15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

Christ is alerting His disciples to an event that they will witness in their lifetimes, not referring to an event at some indeterminate future time.

Amillennialism requires that the Christian resurrection has already occurred; which would really suck if true, and kind of dash a big reason for our Hopes (in fact this falsehood that Jesus had already did it, was what Paul wrote against in 2 Thes 2)

Eph. 2
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

This is the first resurrection. It occurs, and has occurred, personally, for each one who has confessed his trespasses and sins, and accepted Christ's free gift of salvation.

2 Thes. 2
1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

Paul was counselling the Thessalonians that the day of Christ, which some or all had been presuming was at hand i.e. impending; was not. They obviously did not believe that it had already occurred, insofar as they were still present on earth.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amillennialism requires that the Christian resurrection has already occurred; which would really suck if true, and kind of dash a big reason for our Hopes (in fact this falsehood that Jesus had already did it, was what Paul wrote against in 2 Thes 2)

The following is the first resurrection found in John chapter 5.

Joh 5:24  "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.  (This is the process of being "born again" through faith in Christ. It does not suck. It is a beautiful thing that happens to every believer. It is a spiritual resurrection.)

The second resurrection in John chapter 5 is found below.
It is the bodily resurrection and judgment of "all" the dead.
The timing of the event is found in Revelation 11:18.

Joh 5:27  and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. 

Joh 5:28  Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice (How many is "all" ?)

Joh 5:29  and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. 

Joh 5:30  I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me. 

The Apostle John recorded these words of Jesus.

Who recorded Revelation chapter 20?

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Christ will not rule over a world where sin and death remains when He returns.
He has already defeated both at Calvary.

This is a flat denial of explicitly stated scripture.

“‘No more shall an infant from there live but a few days, Nor an old man who has not fulfilled his days; For the child shall die one hundred years old, But the sinner being one hundred years old shall be accursed. They shall build houses and inhabit them; They shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit. They shall not build and another inhabit; They shall not plant and another eat; For as the days of a tree, so shall be the days of My people, And My elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands. They shall not labor in vain, Nor bring forth children for trouble; For they shall be the descendants of the blessed of the LORD, And their offspring with them. It shall come to pass That before they call, I will answer; And while they are still speaking, I will hear. The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, The lion shall eat straw like the ox, And dust shall be the serpent's food. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain,’ Says the LORD.” (Isaiah 65:20-25)

Here we read, explicitly stated, of both death and sin, still existing in this blessed period.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

My understanding:

Thoughts?

The problem is not with your five points, as such, but with one detail you omitted. The resurrected saints will not be living in the world, but in the New Jerusalem, whose description (whether the meaning is typical or literal, I do not judge,) sounds like a cubial satellite 1200 miles on a side, in fixed orbit above the earthly Jerusalem.

So, although both the resurrected saints and the surviving earthlings will be around at that time, they will not be living together. The resurrected saints will be ruling. But how can someone rule without having people over whom they rule? If there are no people to be ruled, the concept of ruling becomes meaningless.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“‘No more shall an infant from there live but a few days, Nor an old man who has not fulfilled his days; For the child shall die one hundred years old, But the sinner being one hundred years old shall be accursed.

Context is always the key.
If some verses have to be ignored to make a doctrine work, then that doctrine cannot be correct.

Isa 65:17  For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 

Isa 65:18  But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. 

Isa 65:19  And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

Isa 65:20  There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed. 

For some strange reason you left out the verses before Isaiah 65:20 which make it clear that this is referring to the New Heavens and the New Earth.

Notice the emphasis on the words "No more shall..." in Isaiah 65:20.

If all of those things that follow are understood to happen no more, then it is clear that the curse has been removed at that point.
Do you think people will be dying in the New Heavens and New Earth?

Further evidence that the curse has been removed is found in the text that follows.
You cannot have the wolf and the lamb feeding together unless the curse has been removed.

Isa 65:25  The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

As in the ripping of the "time of Jacob's trouble" out of context by modern Dispensational Theology, the same is true in this passage.

In the passage above, the old heavens and earth are remembered no more.

One must leave out Isaiah 65:17-19 to make the premill doctrine work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Context is always the key.
If some verses have to be ignored to make a doctrine work, then that doctrine cannot be correct.

Isa 65:17  For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 

Isa 65:18  But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. 

Isa 65:19  And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

Isa 65:20  There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed. 

For some strange reason you left out the verses before Isaiah 65:20 which make it clear that this is referring to the New Heavens and the New Earth.

Notice the emphasis on the words "No more shall..." in Isaiah 65:20.

If all of those things that follow are understood to happen no more, then it is clear that the curse has been removed at that point.
Do you think people will be dying in the New Heavens and New Earth?

Further evidence that the curse has been removed is found in the text that follows.
You cannot have the wolf and the lamb feeding together unless the curse has been removed.

Isa 65:25  The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

As in the ripping of the "time of Jacob's trouble" out of context by modern Dispensational Theology, the same is true in this passage.

In the passage above, the old heavens and earth are remembered no more.

One must leave out Isaiah 65:17-19 to make the premill doctrine work.

If prophecies about different times have to be combined to make a doctrine work,that doctrine cannot be correct.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a flat denial of explicitly stated scripture.

“‘No more shall an infant from there live but a few days, Nor an old man who has not fulfilled his days; For the child shall die one hundred years old, But the sinner being one hundred years old shall be accursed. They shall build houses and inhabit them; They shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit. They shall not build and another inhabit; They shall not plant and another eat; For as the days of a tree, so shall be the days of My people, And My elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands. They shall not labor in vain, Nor bring forth children for trouble; For they shall be the descendants of the blessed of the LORD, And their offspring with them. It shall come to pass That before they call, I will answer; And while they are still speaking, I will hear. The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, The lion shall eat straw like the ox, And dust shall be the serpent's food. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain,’ Says the LORD.” (Isaiah 65:20-25)

Here we read, explicitly stated, of both death and sin, still existing in this blessed period.

This is a Description of the New Heavens and Earth Period, not the "Millennium".

If prophecies about different times have to be combined to make a doctrine work,that doctrine cannot be correct.

Exactly why your need to combine Isaiah's Prophesy about the Reality of the New Heavens and Earth period with John's 1000 years renders your doctrine incorrect.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The resurrected saints will be ruling. But how can someone rule without having people over whom they rule? If there are no people to be ruled, the concept of ruling becomes meaningless.

Interesting.
Same could be said of the priesthood of Christ.

According to Scripture, Christ functions as a priest interceding on behalf of sinners FOREVER.
If there is ever a time where there are no sinners to intercede on behalf of, the concept of priesthood becomes meaningless.

Same with the Everlasting Gospel, which sole purpose for existence to to be preached to sinners on earth to call them to salvation. But How can it be "everlasting" if we say it's sole purpose has a terminus?

Last edited:
Upvote 0