✟913,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ordinary Christian said:
Who taught that practice to Christians? Jesus? The Apostles? The Apostolic Fathers? Why be in the practice of doing something that was never taught by God through any of them?

We have clear NT demonstration of how we are supposed to pray. And clear statements about how Jesus and the Holy Spirit intercedes for us.

Where are Christians ever taught to seek the intercession of the spirits of deceased saints, as part of our prayers to God?
It's derived from the wedding in Cana. Basically Mary asked for more wine so the notion is she had compassion for the people which is nonsense, she wanted the reception to go smoothly everyone have a good time.

Nobody at the wedding feast was praying to the dead.
Eph 6 has Paul asking for his contemporaries to pray for him. No example there of prayers to the dead either.

Even if one says that they suggest believing a tradition story where Mary was assumed into heaven, there is no example in scripture where Enoch, Elijah, Moses are prayed to by a living person on Earth. If your claim is that Mary was resurrected then bodily assumed into heaven and then she appeared to someone and that someone asked her a question or asked her to pray for them -- then fine let's have that discussion but that is not what we see with most cases in reference to their praying to Mary.
You totally didn't understand what I said.

Of coarse no one prayed to the dead at the wedding where did you get that idea.
Well hmmm... in your response above to the question put to you that was of this form
"Where are Christians ever taught to seek the intercession of the spirits of deceased saints, as part of our prayers to God?"​
It is nonsense did you read that part before saying if my claim is Mary resurrected what is that and where did that come from?

Did I read "what part"???

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nobody at the wedding feast was praying to the dead.
Eph 6 has Paul asking for his contemporaries to pray for him. No example there of prayers to the dead either.

Even if one says that they suggest believing a tradition story where Mary was assumed into heaven, there is no example in scripture where Enoch, Elijah, Moses are prayed to by a living person on Earth. If your claim is that Mary was resurrected then bodily assumed into heaven and then she appeared to someone and that someone asked her a question or asked her to pray for them -- then fine let's have that discussion but that is not what we see with most cases in reference to their praying to Mary.

Well hmmm... in your response above to the question put to you that was of this form
"Where are Christians ever taught to seek the intercession of the spirits of deceased saints, as part of our prayers to God?"​

Did I read "what part"???
Again Bob what does that have to do with you assuming that my claim is Mary was resurrected.

I simply was stating the concept of praying to Mary was derived from the account of Mary asking Jesus to make more wine. That wasn't a statement about Mary having compassion for the people. That is what the catholic have done with it though.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Again Bob what does that have to do with you assuming that my claim is Mary was resurrected.
One of the many versions of this - is that Mary was supposedly resurrected then bodily assumed into heaven... My comment was in an effort to try and find the most plausible scenario on behalf of prayers to the dead by showing that one of them is not actually a case where Mary is still dead.
I simply was stating the concept of praying to Mary was derived from the account of Mary asking Jesus to make more wine. That wasn't a statement about Mary having compassion for the people. That is what the catholic have done with it though.
ok thanks.

Apparently you are addressing the question "why do Catholics think we should help others, or we should ask other people for help". ???

"The Assumption of Mary is a belief that, at the end of her earthly life, Mary was taken up into Heaven body and soul123. It is a sign of the resurrection and the new creation promised by Christ4. It is celebrated by Catholics and some Orthodox Christians on August 15, which is a Holy Day of Obligation for Catholics unless it falls on a Monday13. The origin of this belief and its celebration dates back to the early centuries of Christianity35."

So while I understand that any case where someone is asked to pray for someone else or help someone else is often used to justify prayers to the dead, I was just pointing out that they have one scenario where Mary would not be dead at the time of the prayer.

In any case it is in the section of the Catechism that they call "Communion with the DEAD"

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the many versions of this - is that Mary was supposedly resurrected then bodily assumed into heaven... My comment was in an effort to try and find the most plausible scenario on behalf of prayers to the dead by showing that one of them is not actually a case where Mary is still dead.

ok thanks.

"The Assumption of Mary is a belief that, at the end of her earthly life, Mary was taken up into Heaven body and soul123. It is a sign of the resurrection and the new creation promised by Christ4. It is celebrated by Catholics and some Orthodox Christians on August 15, which is a Holy Day of Obligation for Catholics unless it falls on a Monday13. The origin of this belief and its celebration dates back to the early centuries of Christianity35."

So while I understand that any case where someone is asked to pray for someone else or help someone else is often used to justify prayers to the dead, I was just pointing out that they have one scenario where Mary would not be dead at the time of the prayer.

In any case it is in the section of the Catechism that they call "Communion with the DEAD"
Thank you for the clarification. I haven't read or heard about the scenario you mentioned about Mary would not be dead story.

Yea they got afew odd scenarios

Upvote 0